The non-musical, very neutral studio headphones
Oct 2, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #16 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
here's a freq. response graph for 4 headphones...which is the most "neutral?"

graphCompare.php

the same graph puts the HD650 over the K701s in terms of bass, so im not sure how much you want to trust numbers.

Oct 2, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #17 of 37
My ER4s sound remarkably similar to my monitors when used unequalized.

Also: It isn't right to directly compare the readouts of in-ear and circumaural headphones like that.
Furthermore: That ER4 graph is wrong. This has been stated a million times.

Oct 2, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #18 of 37
Looks like a lot of support for ER4/DT 880. I'm not too bothered by the slight treble emphasis as much as grainy mid's or thumps, is there a reason I should get the DT 880 over the K701? The reviews seem slightly mixed :/

Oct 2, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #19 of 37
Funny you should ask that; I'm just getting ready to post a first impressions post on my Omega IIs. They are (in a good way) almost completely detached from the music. Extremely analytical.

Oct 2, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #20 of 37
Have you tried the AT M40fs? Also, I liked what I heard recently out of the Roland RH-300 and RH-200; both seemed pretty "neutral". The 300 was nicely built and more comfortable than the 200s.

Oct 2, 2007 at 7:36 PM Post #21 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutchess of York /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the same graph puts the HD650 over the K701s in terms of bass, so im not sure how much you want to trust numbers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My ER4s sound remarkably similar to my monitors when used unequalized.

Also: It isn't right to directly compare the readouts of in-ear and circumaural headphones like that.
Furthermore: That ER4 graph is wrong. This has been stated a million times.

these were my points exactly by posting the graph. you can't get a sense of "neutral" or analytical from the graphs. what i find neutral is probably different from what someone else finds neutral...different ears for different folks.

Oct 2, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #22 of 37
Fostex T40 mk1 with a slab of foam stuffed in the earcup.

Like the one being offered in the forsale forum.

Frequency response is ruler-flat with good planar-style accuracy and speed.

Oct 2, 2007 at 10:30 PM Post #23 of 37
I don't mean "dead neutral," more of a modest coloration. For example, the 650 bass is not modest, but its highs are.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fostex T40 mk1 with a slab of foam stuffed in the earcup.

Like the one being offered in the forsale forum.

Frequency response is ruler-flat with good planar-style accuracy and speed.

Thanks for your advice, but it seems like it just go sold
frown.gif

Oct 3, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #24 of 37
Ah, that's just as well then. The T40's neutrality borders on boring. Fostex markets these things strictly to studios, they're very serious tools. kinda bass-lite, too.

Oct 3, 2007 at 3:15 AM Post #25 of 37
I do all my mixing with headphones + a Lavry DA10.

My most used pair are the K1000s. They seem accurate and detailed for every part of the spectrum except the deepest base. I even find the huge soundstage to be extremely useful, allowing me to zero in on the way each track interacts with the others.

The SA5000 are another pair I use a lot. The bass seems to have great accuracy and extension, filling the one void left by the K1000s. After meticulously sculpting a song's soundstage with the K1000s, I turn to these, which have a notoriously small one. If my mix sounds spacious on them, it must REALLY be spacious.

I used to mix on the Senn HD600s, which were frustrating as hell to use. Veiled and colored as they are, I always had an unpleasant surprise when listening to my mixes on anything else. They can't resolve the spectrum with sufficient detail.

I haven't heard the T40s, but I'll definitely have to check them out.

Oct 3, 2007 at 4:13 AM Post #27 of 37
They are hardly very neutral, though.

Oct 3, 2007 at 4:33 AM Post #28 of 37
I failed to mention that it should be a decent upgrade from the Senn 650s, in terms of soundstage, resolution (or what little resolution from the Senns), separation and all.

Seems like the SA5000s are a good candidate, but if it has a collapsed soundstage, I think it would bother me too much :/ The BD 800s seem nice, and I'm not into canalphones anymore.

The K1000 would be nice if the Pico can drive it
biggrin.gif

Oct 3, 2007 at 4:38 AM Post #29 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The K1000 would be nice if the Pico can drive it
biggrin.gif

i hope it can...at the high gain setting (gain=8) it might be able to drive the k1000 semi-adequately...portability for the k1000s, baby!
k1000smile.gif

Oct 3, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #30 of 37
I should think that the Qualias would be perfect for mixing, If only they were available.

If your Pico can drive them, I promise you'll be pleased with K1000s. Just make sure you have something else that handles sub 50 Hz frequencies well. It's pretty annoying to play your new mix on someone's good stereo system and be blown out the door by low bass you didn't know was there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back