The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Feb 13, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #46 of 5,895
question, I'm on a strict budget and I have now a choice between the nikon d40 kits lens and the nikon d70s with the 18-70. I dont care right nowa bout the lens limit on the d40. So in terms of better overall image quality which one would eb a better choice and is the d70s worth the extra 250 over the d40?. budget is 800.

Feb 13, 2007 at 6:20 PM Post #47 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by jumpinjohn1234 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
question, I'm on a strict budget and I have now a choice between the nikon d40 kits lens and the nikon d70s with the 18-70. I dont care right nowa bout the lens limit on the d40. So in terms of better overall image quality which one would eb a better choice and is the d70s worth the extra 250 over the d40?. budget is 800.

There really isn't that much of a difference between the 18-55 kit and the cheapo 18-70 lens, so it's really between the bodies. I personally find the D40 a bit too limiting, so I'd go with the D70s.

Feb 13, 2007 at 6:49 PM Post #49 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks steve!

funny, i've heard bad thing about nikonians so i've avoided it thus far.

Really? Well, I know sometimes the discussions border on hypercritical at times, but it's still the best Nikon knowledgebase. Is that what you heard, or was it another issue?

Feb 13, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #50 of 5,895
Re: I Did the filter/no filter test

dj_mocok:

Thanks for doing that. It would be interesting to do a couple sets of filter on/off shots, post them without identifying which is which, and see how many of us can distinguish between them in a poll. It would also be interesting to introduce two levels of filter quality into the mix.

If you ever get unlazy again ...... Or if I ever get unlazy, period.
smily_headphones1.gif

I think the main danger of leaving a UV filter on is in a high glare situation ... especially when a lens hood is absolutely necessary to shield the lens. The filter effectively lengthens the lens by 3/16" or so, which can push the glass out beyond the hood's shaded area making the lens hood un-effective.

Feb 13, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #51 of 5,895
mbriant:
Now it's your time to do the filter shots, I'm back to lazy mode already, lol.
Anyway, I'm at work now, so unfortunately I can't do any tests at the moment.
I think the difference is quite obvious if you really look for it and don't have a messed up monitor.

Jmm:
About the font, I can't remember the name at the moment (rabiola or something like that), I downloaded it from the free font download site. Just google it, you'll get lots of nice fonts.

Forum wise, I feel that Nikonians is alright, there are some very consistent and helpful posters there.
Don't really like dpreview, too many know-it-all people. I like photo.net forum too.

Feb 14, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #53 of 5,895
No the difference is not major (L37c is a decent filter anyway), but it's there if you look for it.

I know if I just look at the picture casually I won't notice the difference. But even so, the difference can be easily "fixed" with a little contrast increase using photoshop.

I'd probably keep the filter on until I can find a good screw-in rubber lens hood and a nice lens hood.

Feb 14, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #54 of 5,895
Hey, I was wondering which to buy:
18 - 55mm or 18 - 70mm?
The review at http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/nikkor.html tells me that the 18-55mm is a better deal but having heard so many great things about the 18-70mm, I was wondering which is better.

I heard the 18-55mm is a better buy for the price? Is this true?
It will be paired up with a D80 soon....

Feb 14, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #55 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, I was wondering which to buy:
18 - 55mm or 18 - 70mm?
The review at http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/nikkor.html tells me that the 18-55mm is a better deal but having heard so many great things about the 18-70mm, I was wondering which is better.

I think the best deal is still whatever Nikon's version of the 50/1.8 is...

Feb 14, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #56 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, I was surprised; I recommended the D80 to a friend, and he decided to add the kit lens. Get the 18 ~ 55 and save you money for a Sigma 10 ~ 20 lens now to extend the range or a 17~35 replacement later. Try to minimize your purchases of DX or similar lenses. Good luck!

Feb 14, 2007 at 5:34 AM Post #57 of 5,895
Better still, just get the serious one straight away!
biggrin.gif

But really, good lenses retain their re-sell value very well. So after using it for awhile and you prefer something different, just re-sell it again on eBay. Consider the price difference is the price for "renting" the lens.

But if photography isn't a big hobby of yours and just wanna take some nicer pictures than P&S, then I think the kit lens is enough.
But still I would rather have 18-70mm kit lens than 18-55mm kit lens. The quality is different, both build and image quality.
I haven't got the lens anymore, but as far as I remember, the difference in build are : 18-55mm is full plastic even the mount is plastic, the MF focusing ring is that tiny little ring right in front of the lens (once you've touched it, you'd switch to AF straight away I guarantee), there is no distance number on the body unlike 18-70mm (although I don't really utilise it much but it's cool to have numbers. you can't have enough numbers
biggrin.gif
), and I think it's lighter than 18-70mm. Anyway, when you hold both you will notice. But they both still feel crappy compared to old metal AI lenses.
biggrin.gif

But to be honest, the 18-55mm can take pretty good pictures, I just can't stand the build.

Have you read some reviews of the lens? Try Thom Hogan's reviews here:

18-70mm

18-55mm

Might help you decide.

PS: Sometime Ken Rockwell might sound a bit over enthusiastic, so make sure you read several independent reviews.

Feb 14, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #58 of 5,895
18-70mm is my main lens until I could afford the 18-200mm vr.

This hobby is the biggest $$ sucker EVER....just added a Tamron 17-50mm to my inventory...I hope the lens can be stacked with the 50mm to fit in the slingshot 100.

Feb 14, 2007 at 8:37 AM Post #60 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting combo. So which one do you use more often? The VR or the Tamron?

I don't own the 18-200mm vr just yet. But for now, the 17-80mm is my primary all around lens. I'd dump the 18-70mm once I got the 18-200mm later this year (likely end of the year). I just pulled the trigger on the 17-50mm, and it was a hard one since the SP90 is also another lens in my "must buy" list...and Tamron USA is giving a 90 bucks rebate now for the SP90, knocking the price down to around 359USD shipped. I'll see myself having a collection of:

-50mm 1.8 (acquired)
-Tamron 90mm SP
-Tamron 17-50mm (acquired)
-18-200mm VR

For year 2007
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back