The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Jan 7, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #2,926 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone uses Gordy's camera straps? I just bought a string wrist strap from him. Looks good and affordable too. I've been trying to find a proper leather wrist strap but couldn't find it anywhere. I could get some from eBay but I am not sure if it's a real leather or not. He sort of reminds me of Headphile of headphones. There's also one from Luigi from Leicatime but damn looking at the price, I know why it's called "LEICA"time. But it's indeed really nice though. I guess if you can afford a Leica, you can also afford to buy accessories from him.

That thing is the bee's knees. Lately, I've been nothing but annoyed with neck straps. I just picked up a Gordy. Thanks.

The one full size strap that I've come to tolerate is a BlackRapid RS-2. I love that the camera slides along the strap, so the actual strap stays put on your neck. It's comfortable enough and you can adjust the strap to have the camera hangs at exactly where it's most convenient for you to grab it. The only issue is on gripped bodies; the hardware gets in the way when shooting portrait if you're not using a lens with its own ring.

Here's the video:
Intro to the R-Strap

Edit: We need a General Photography Gear thread, one where us Canon and Nikon people can put away our blood lust for each other and yammer about tripods, filters, straps, PP, bags, P&S, etc.

Jan 7, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #2,927 of 5,895
I could see 4GB being the sweet spot with a higher end camera. With a D80, shooting RAW, I get close to 200 photos on a 2GB card.

If you take into account battery life, then maybe you would come up with a different preference. The D80s battery life is phenomenal! I've yet to completely kill one, although I did buy a second one recently when I bought my SB-600. I've shot well over 1000 photos on a single charge
smily_headphones1.gif

I would not be comfortable using a memory card large enough to hold 1000 photos. I have had memory cards fail on me. Maybe some of you haven't experienced that, but for me, once was enough to make me wary. Someday I'll own a professional level body that has 2 card slots. Then I'll buy much larger cards. Until then, I'll continue to carry lots of little ones.
wink.gif

Jan 7, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #2,929 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am going to have to replace the batteries in my sb-600 so whats the
best bet considering Energizer since the copper tops went rather quickly.

I'm using Sanyo Eneloop rechargeables. They are designed to hold their charge longer. There are probly batteries that will hold more juice or last longer, but since these mostly just sit in the camera baf, I wanted batteries that would maintain their charge in storage.

Jan 8, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #2,930 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am going to have to replace the batteries in my sb-600 so whats the
best bet considering Energizer since the copper tops went rather quickly.

Energizers would be no improvement at all whatsoever over the copper tops. This is because all disposable (throwaway) alkaline batteries have a high internal resistance, which in turn results in poor handling of high current draw.

Jan 8, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #2,931 of 5,895
Eneloops. That way if you've left your flash in the camera bag for a month ununsed, you'll still have some juice left.

Jan 8, 2009 at 7:52 AM Post #2,932 of 5,895
I also like this leather strap from Gordy's too. It looks very simple yet durable. The colours are very customisable too - from thread to the actual leather. I might get one after my wrist strap arrives.
I personally think this is much better than using that Nikon strap that screams "[size=medium]NIKON[/size]" in bright yellow colours - it's a bit difficult to go low profile with that.

Did you guys read the strength test he did on the site? I was a bit skeptical with the string wrist strap, worrying that the little string might slip off from the leather connection after prolonged use, but after reading his test and his explanation, I pressed order straight away, lol.

Jan 9, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #2,933 of 5,895
Well its not Nikon but I started out talking about a Nikon P&S and it was recommended that I look at a Panasonic DMC-FX35. Well I bought it and it arrived Thursday. I have charged the battery and inserted the memory card and will take some shots this weekend. I also printed out the manual that they supplied on CD. 161 pages to explain all that it does. We will see and I will report back with some examples.

Jan 9, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #2,934 of 5,895
Eneloops or Imedions are what I use. The Imedions have a slight advantage in power and retention but are harder to source in North America.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 10, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #2,935 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by john_jcb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well its not Nikon but I started out talking about a Nikon P&S and it was recommended that I look at a Panasonic DMC-FX35. Well I bought it and it arrived Thursday. I have charged the battery and inserted the memory card and will take some shots this weekend. I also printed out the manual that they supplied on CD. 161 pages to explain all that it does. We will see and I will report back with some examples.

Excellent. You might wanna get one more extra battery because I always find it one battery is not enough.

Jan 10, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #2,936 of 5,895
Quote:

Excellent. You might wanna get one more extra battery because I always find it one battery is not enough.

I already did. Memory card did not come with it so I got a 4GB and an extra battery. A lot of pictures fit on 4GB so I will play around with it tomorrow.

Jan 10, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #2,937 of 5,895
Quote:

I also like this leather strap from Gordy's too. It looks very simple yet durable. The colours are very customisable too - from thread to the actual leather. I might get one after my wrist strap arrives.
I personally think this is much better than using that Nikon strap that screams "[size=medium]NIKON[/size]" in bright yellow colours - it's a bit difficult to go low profile with that.

Canons ship with an equally gaudy strap. It's about as comfortable as a garrote.

Quote:

Did you guys read the strength test he did on the site? I was a bit skeptical with the string wrist strap, worrying that the little string might slip off from the leather connection after prolonged use, but after reading his test and his explanation, I pressed order straight away, lol.

I did. Not exactly scientific, but I won't be swinging the camera from it either. I'm surprised; the Gordy already shipped. I'm giddy. Thanks again for pointing it out. I like that it attaches with a split ring. I've seen some modifications to the that strap I linked above. A lot of people don't like the hardware used to attach the BlackRapid, so they use a split ring on the camera lugs instead of the tripod threads. I'll be able to use the same ring on the Gordy (I'm going to double them up) to attach the BlackRapid. That's PERFECT for me, considering I don''t like neck straps. I'll be able to remove the Rapid in seconds and use the camera in portrait mode when it is attached. I'll take some pics of the set up; I assume this is probably confusing to picture.

Jan 12, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #2,939 of 5,895
Well after a very long time, I finally got the 50mm f1.8! I can't wait til there's daylight to shoot in, but it makes for awesome indoor portraits.

The crop factor from using a DX sensor and lack of zoom haven't irritated so far, so my two biggest worries are for now put to rest. The guy at the shop even called it the 'nifty fifty'
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back