The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Oct 21, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #46 of 5,308
Hello All,
I am new here (obviously), and I created the account to ask a few questions. I am interested in the 1Z, but since it was launched in 2016/17, I am worried about a new model coming out. So my questions are: Is the 1Z likely to be replaced soon-ish? And, When should we hear about a potential 'new 1Z'?

It's likely, but no news yet from Sony.

Oct 21, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #47 of 5,308
The reason it’s funny is the whole system is very different from the giant stereo I had at one point in my life
I did the same.
I sold my DACs and put away my amps, and am now mobile and
free to choose where I hear my music.
Very liberating experience.
It's shocking just how good these players have achieved desktop quality level..

Technology is wonderful and this level of miniaturization for DAPs (and similarly cell phones) has indeed been transformative to our daily lives. I also used to have a giant stereo (stacks of mono amps!) and am glad to not have to take up living room space with that anymore. :ksc75smile:
I know users that have sold top summit-fi level gear, to end up with a top level DAP instead.
They are already good enough and the real advantage is not being chained down to one place in the house.
You can now roam freely and have top level sound.
It is very refreshing to be free of a home system.

I think the trend now is having more powerful DAPs, in order to play your favorite headphones and have a total solution.

Current rumour is 1A/1Z will be replaced in 2021, so depending on your need it may be worth waiting
Let's hope it will finally be competitive in price to the other DAPs, that have come out with many features like streaming and more power for less price.

Looking at the newer A&K SE200, that unit is an example of way much features and big screen and power for less than $2k, so for Sony to compete, it needs to offer something desirable.

Oct 21, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #48 of 5,308
Looking at the newer A&K SE200, that unit is an example of way much features and big screen and power for less than $2k, so for Sony to compete, it needs to offer something desirable.

To me the 2 main features of the Sony (apart from sq) is the long, long battery life and the lack of Android and streaming, just a focused player for local files

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #49 of 5,308
To me the 2 main features of the Sony (apart from sq) is the long, long battery life and the lack of Android and streaming, just a focused player for local files
I agree. I did try an Android DAP (iBasso DX 220 + AMP 9), and I hated it. It was supposed to be good based on reviews, but it was overpriced, plagued with 'little details,' and the Chinese customer support was awful. I ended losing $200 after return fees.

Oct 21, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #50 of 5,308
Let's hope it will finally be competitive in price to the other DAPs, that have come out with many features like streaming and more power for less price.

Rumour mill say's will be a touch more expensive, as for the rest only Sony knows LOL. A&K SE200 is really a work of art, beautifully executed, precision being the operative word. The ceramic top and back panel concerns as in the event of a tumble could be a very bad day as ceramic and gravity are not always the best of friends LOL.

The fear I have with streaming is that Sony will follow the somewhat tried and tested ZX500 route. Personally I for one do not want another Google data acquisition device to carry about which would tend to kill the deal. Although the Chinese market would likely be Open Android as Google is blocked which would be an option.

Q-6

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #51 of 5,308
So I got my used Wm1a tonight and everything seems great except I’m having a problem getting it to charge reliably. There’s a single white sliver of battery left indicated by the little icon, but nine times out of ten when I plug the cable into a usb jack (have tried three iPhone ones, and a portable battery pack) it doesn’t do anything. Then I’ll try it and it’ll do the charging animation. But then I can unplug it and plug it right back in and it doesn’t do the animation. I don’t know what’s going on with it...do I need a jack/plug with a certain power rating or something? Very odd.

Oct 21, 2020 at 8:47 PM Post #52 of 5,308
So I got my used Wm1a tonight and everything seems great except I’m having a problem getting it to charge reliably. There’s a single white sliver of battery left indicated by the little icon, but nine times out of ten when I plug the cable into a usb jack (have tried three iPhone ones, and a portable battery pack) it doesn’t do anything. Then I’ll try it and it’ll do the charging animation. But then I can unplug it and plug it right back in and it doesn’t do the animation. I don’t know what’s going on with it...do I need a jack/plug with a certain power rating or something? Very odd.

72FED947-042F-44D8-8415-E1A70525A8B7.jpeg
AD6BF7F0-3AA8-4B7A-A969-FFFA7E780BD6.jpeg
02AB4C28-6B89-4EC0-A2DF-BC83A417F27C.jpeg

The very bottom one is what it should look like if charged. So the picture here at the bottom with color shows a Walkman not connected.

The two top pictures show a white bar (animated) moving from right to left across to show a charge is being accepted.

The little white blocks should be adding up as they are animated right to left, then start over again, like an animated turn signal indicator.
F8CD3B3B-F804-4BE5-88C8-2052C30414F9.gif

Left one.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020 at 9:30 PM Post #53 of 5,308
72FED947-042F-44D8-8415-E1A70525A8B7.jpegAD6BF7F0-3AA8-4B7A-A969-FFFA7E780BD6.jpeg02AB4C28-6B89-4EC0-A2DF-BC83A417F27C.jpeg

The very bottom one is what it should look like if charged. So the picture here at the bottom with color shows a Walkman not connected.

The two top pictures show a white bar (animated) moving from right to left across to show a charge is being accepted.

The little white blocks should be adding up as they are animated right to left, then start over again, like an animated turn signal indicator.
F8CD3B3B-F804-4BE5-88C8-2052C30414F9.gif

Left one.
I like your choice in cars for the animation.

Oct 21, 2020 at 9:39 PM Post #54 of 5,308
I agree. I did try an Android DAP (iBasso DX 220 + AMP 9), and I hated it. It was supposed to be good based on reviews, but it was overpriced, plagued with 'little details,' and the Chinese customer support was awful. I ended losing $200 after return fees.
I had tried it a way back as well and although it sounded quite good.
Yet it was still not sonically at the level of my stock 1a at the time. Very, very close, but not preferable.
That even was before firmware or tunning mods.

So I got my used Wm1a tonight and everything seems great except I’m having a problem getting it to charge reliably
Does the cable work properly when connection to a computer/laptop?
It should show up as a drive unless battery too low that it shut off.

If there was any issues with the cable, then it could be noticeable with any connection issue.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #55 of 5,308
Oct 21, 2020 at 11:45 PM Post #57 of 5,308
I'm trying to get back to stock firmware but when I plug the wm1a into either of my two PCs, I get this message:
1603338280742.png

When I connected to my Macbook it nearly always goes right to USB Mass storage mode but other than one time earlier tonight I can't get my PCs to recognize it. I can't revert to stock firmware without a PC, and this is clearly not how it should be behaving, so...any ideas? I've contacted the seller to ask if he'd had this problem before, and I've also ordered another cable on Amazon, hoping that's the issue here.

Edit: Suddenly recognized on one of my PCs. Did the stock firmware revert using MrWalkmans files. I've done factory reset/internal system reset, etc.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020 at 11:48 PM Post #58 of 5,308
I'm trying to get back to stock firmware but when I plug the wm1a into either of my two PCs, I get this message:
1603338280742.png

When I connected to my Macbook it nearly always goes right to USB Mass storage mode but other than one time earlier tonight I can't get my PCs to recognize it. I can't revert to stock firmware without a PC, and this is clearly not how it should be behaving, so...any ideas? I've contacted the seller to ask if he'd had this problem before, and I've also ordered another cable on Amazon, hoping that's the issue here.

You are trying to get back to stock firmware from which firmware?

Oct 22, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #59 of 5,308
Audis are fun!

My commuter...

R8term.jpg

Old setup with my ZX2 streaming to bluetooth.
zx2R8.jpg
I have 3, the closest to your R8 is my TT RS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back