The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
May 4, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #1,231 of 5,313
It's really frustrating the current state of streamers - I think I'll like the Shanling M8 for instance, but it seems soooo slow and on an old version of Android, so obsolete as a streamer is sooner rather than later . And still $1500 odd. Just not worth it.

And then you look at the 1A - pretty good UI, keeping it simple. Compromises....
Fortunately i don’t need streaming (just waste of money). As i have a rather huge library 61125 tracks or 3486 Album 1.4TB

May 4, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #1,232 of 5,313
Fortunately i don’t need streaming (just waste of money). As i have a rather huge library 61125 tracks or 3486 Album 1.4TB
Well streaming is great to discover new music - and i tend to buy stuff which supports newer/less well known artists.

On another note, 40 hours in I've decided I've had enough of stock. Definitely a huge improvement from out of the box, no question at all but onwards and upward. So I'm now onto Midnight custom firmware. Now we're talking - a much fuller sound and the mids actually exist with the Z1R! Looking forward to more listening :)

May 4, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #1,233 of 5,313
It's really frustrating the current state of streamers - I think I'll like the Shanling M8 for instance, but it seems soooo slow and on an old version of Android, so obsolete as a streamer is sooner rather than later . And still $1500 odd. Just not worth it.

And then you look at the 1A - pretty good UI, keeping it simple. Compromises....
I like the M8, equally if Shanling isn't able to figure out how to update to a new revision of Android it will EOL as a streamer much the same as some others. Not a big concern for me, however as you state there's a price to pay and part of that is streaming capability with many relying on such services.

Although I'm critical at times of the WM1A's power output it still remains as a very solid player as there are many aspects that make up a good DAP. Overall I believe that a DAP should be balanced as a portable with adequate performance. Some are just becoming "house bricks" where I think it would simply be cheaper and or better SQ to opt for a desktop system.

Q-6

May 4, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #1,234 of 5,313
I like the M8, equally if Shanling isn't able to figure out how to update to a new revision of Android it will EOL as a streamer much the same as some others. Not a big concern for me, however as you state there's a price to pay and part of that is streaming capability with many relying on such services.

Although I'm critical at times of the WM1A's power output it still remains as a very solid player as there are many aspects that make up a good DAP. Overall I believe that a DAP should be balanced as a portable with adequate performance. Some are just becoming "house bricks" where I think it would simply be cheaper and or better SQ to opt for a desktop system.

Q-6
Even if I never use the 1A with anything other than the the Z1R, I’d be ok with that. Some people spend $$$ on just the right cable, the 1A seems like chunk change!

May 4, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #1,235 of 5,313
Even if I never use the 1A with anything other than the the Z1R, I’d be ok with that. Some people spend $$$ on just the right cable, the 1A seems like chunk change!
Everything in the "chain" has an effect on the output. That said it's very much a game of diminishing returns with some clearly taking advantage of the end user. WM1A is a fairly well rounded package, not cheap by any means to the average listener, nor targeted at that same audience. Both 1A & 1Z exude excellence in physical build quality, operation and now Thx to regional change and CFW unparalleled flexibility :sunglasses:

The only negative's are that Sony chose to deliberately limit the WM1A in software to increase the delta between it and the WM1Z. Output power is becoming more constrained as ever more players hit the market with increased power...

Q-6

May 4, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #1,236 of 5,313
So I’m trying to reset my 1A battery on stock firmware. Is this correct? I removed battery care and want to replenish the battery

F5218A2D-ED81-4000-8680-F4DDA6268778.jpeg

May 4, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #1,237 of 5,313
So I’m trying to reset my 1A battery on stock firmware. Is this correct? I removed battery care and want to replenish the battery

It should shut down and turn itself off - keep turning on until the screen is completely blank, no battery icon, nothing, this is when the battery is completely drained and when you can do an uninterrupted full charge which will recalibrate your battery.
Did you have issues? or just maintenance?

May 4, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #1,238 of 5,313
It should shut down and turn itself off - keep turning on until the screen is completely blank, no battery icon, nothing, this is when the battery is completely drained and when you can do an uninterrupted full charge which will recalibrate your battery.
Did you have issues? or just maintenance?
Battery seems a bit shorter than it should be. The battery icon doesn’t go away after 9 tries

Last edited:
May 4, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #1,239 of 5,313
Battery seems a bit shorter than it should be. The battery icon doesn’t go away after 9 tries
From memory it can take 20 times +, just keep at it.
I have found the Plus versions of the firmwares do deplete the battery more.
I sometimes don't listen for a day or 2 (24 hour auto off) and find that standby seems to consume more than I would expect it to when looking at my total week listening time.

May 4, 2021 at 10:34 PM Post #1,240 of 5,313
From memory it can take 20 times +, just keep at it.
I have found the Plus versions of the firmwares do deplete the battery more.
I sometimes don't listen for a day or 2 (24 hour auto off) and find that standby seems to consume more than I would expect it to when looking at my total week listening time.
This doesn’t look good. Is the player in bad shape?

08D1F000-EB91-4385-A8FA-3567465DDE20.jpeg

May 4, 2021 at 10:40 PM Post #1,241 of 5,313
Plugged in my laptop and solved. Carry on

May 4, 2021 at 10:56 PM Post #1,242 of 5,313
This doesn’t look good. Is the player in bad shape?

08D1F000-EB91-4385-A8FA-3567465DDE20.jpeg
I didn't encounter this message - I don't know if this is from stock firmware or a carry over from Mr Walkman's firmware tweaks.
Typically the thread is quiet around this time, I assume to do with time zones, I don't know if anyone can help with that error message, but typically the process requires total drain so the screen doesn't show any message at all.

May 4, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #1,243 of 5,313
I didn't encounter this message - I don't know if this is from stock firmware or a carry over from Mr Walkman's firmware tweaks.
Typically the thread is quiet around this time, I assume to do with time zones, I don't know if anyone can help with that error message, but typically the process requires total drain so the screen doesn't show any message at all.
Decided to charge to my laptop and it went back to normal. I made sure that it was again using Sony’s stock 3.02 as I reinstalled it. So now it’s plugged in and charging on the plug outlet.

May 4, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #1,244 of 5,313
Well streaming is great to discover new music - and i tend to buy stuff which supports newer/less well known artists.

On another note, 40 hours in I've decided I've had enough of stock. Definitely a huge improvement from out of the box, no question at all but onwards and upward. So I'm now onto Midnight custom firmware. Now we're talking - a much fuller sound and the mids actually exist with the Z1R! Looking forward to more listening :)
I just use it in USB DAC mode if I want to stream.

May 4, 2021 at 11:34 PM Post #1,245 of 5,313
Decided to charge to my laptop and it went back to normal. I made sure that it was again using Sony’s stock 3.02 as I reinstalled it. So now it’s plugged in and charging on the plug outlet.
Let us know how if your battery life improves.
I did a recalibration once on my ZX300 but realised that I had more Hi-Res files that consumed more battery.
My 6 month old A15 suddenly developed an issue where from full charge the levels would go down every 5-10 minutes then flash the last bar, I though the battery was gone until gerelmx1986 told me of the process and saved me much grief and money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back