The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Oct 28, 2020 at 7:01 AM Post #76 of 5,308
Does anyone use 1A/1Z with headphone instead of IEM? If yes, what headphone is it? Does it have enough juice to power it?
MDR-Z1R on WM1Z performance varies with the firmware installed.

Oct 28, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #77 of 5,308
IER-Z1R in high gain via balanced port at around 94, rarely down to 85 for PCM
Up to 110 for DSD

IER in low gain at 70-80 or high gain at 50-60

Oct 29, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #78 of 5,308
My WM1A is performing an admirable job in being the source to my Adam Audio T5Vs:

50538559593_0a4513aed0_c.jpg

This is really an underrated piece of portable audio wonder. I hope whatever Sony comes up with for the WM1's successor, it's worth the 4+ year (and counting) wait! :)

Oct 29, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #80 of 5,308
Does anyone use 1A/1Z with headphone instead of IEM? If yes, what headphone is it? Does it have enough juice to power it?

One remarkable improvement has been the MrWalkman firmware to add to the usability of the Sony 1A/1Z with some full-size headphones.

I myself only use the MDR-Z1R and MDR-Z7. People who I know use the 1A or 1Z now with the MDR-Z7MK2. Typically the DAPs were always shown with the MDR-Z1R in Sony marketing.

3F3FEB29-3276-425D-898B-F7215210E8C0.jpeg

With the original firmware from Sony the DAPs were just OK with the full-size headphones which Sony manufacturers. But the excitement now is due to just how much more improvement the MK2 or MK1 DMP-Z1 emulation software brings to the combination. So it’s hard to say if the output is really THAT much more powerful? Meaning the power is just slightly more but it’s the new stance of the soundstage which seems to bring everything up-close and move the soundstage out. So in essence the sound is bigger which makes the full-size seem to have a clearer and more robust sound closer to a desktop.

Due to my history of, at times purchasing mismatched gear I have learned about the extra quality that desktop amplifiers can bring to full-size due to increased damping factor.

Damping Factor:

Even though damping factor can make full-size louder; we are not going to an added desktop to make the MDR-Z1R or MDR-Z7 louder. :)

Meaning the full-size are going to get loud enough mixing the MDR-Z1R or MDR-Z7 with a 1A/1Z. What we are looking for in damping factor improvements are better imaging, wider soundstage and increased bass detail. Bass detail actually only gets increased by 1dB using a desktop. The audio illusion is that clearer bass sounds like more bass. Due to being able to hear down into the bass texture and timbre added......... it simply seems like more bass. It would be almost like seeing a structure clearer after the fog was gone and it would appear more detailed and larger, even though the structure was in fact always the same size.

The DAPs will never be totally optimal with the MDR-Z7 or MDR-Z1R, yet very very close now. To the point of it not even being noticed depending on volume demands or music genre choice. The fact that there is something to having a closer non convoluted approach!

The DAPs are just so clear that everything is more upfront which is what full size needs, especially to someone used to the in your head effect of IEMs.

So I’ve tried to simply take the 3.5mm X2 RCA output and go to random desktop like the Schiit Asgard One. And while it may have more driving power it’s an added filter in the chain that ruins the closeness and intimacy that comes from having full-size easy to drive headphones being plugged into the 1A/1Z.

The detail and excitement is so good, I can see many simply being happy getting a 1A and MDR-Z7 or something and feeling like it’s endgame. Obviously that last 10% is there with certain desktops like the Sony TA, but MrWalkman firmware has unexpectedly moved the DAPs closer to being an acceptable option.

In summary yes the DAPs are not perfect with the MDR-Z1R or MDR-Z7; but the combo is so amazingly good that many will not care for more. It’s just that clear sounding now.

Cheers!

Edit:
Coincidentally the Kimber 4.4mm to 3.5mmX2 seems just the ticket to also enhance the MDR-Z1R and MDR-Z7 when hooked to the 1Z/1A.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2020 at 1:37 AM Post #81 of 5,308
I got the WM1Zs for my Stellia on Monday this week and very impressed even right out of the box. It probably has just a bit over 50 hours of burn in right now and I am not sure if I can hear/notice any changes yet. Got a few questions,

1. I noticed the bass is lighter on the WM1Z than my iphone 6s+ and laptop and my Stellia do sound more "balanced". Do the bass become more full bodied as I burn these in or were my previous sources just really bass heavy? I did notice a very large improvement immediately in overall detail, resolution and general veil being lifted.

2. This is more general, after 200 hours of burn in, can I expect an even further noticeable improvement in sound because they already sound phenomenal. Also, if anyone recall, what sort of sonic changes should I keep an eye out for? I basically already listen to them about 4-6 hours a day and the rest of the time just leaves it on. Not sure if doing it this way I will ever notice it as it just happens slowly/gradually.

3. I plan on getting custom firmware for the 1Z, the DMP-WM1 . I am guessing I should hold off until the device is fully burned in? The firmware doesn't need burn in right?
Any additional changes I can expect apart from " with awesome bass response and amazing soundstage holography and extension " in the firmware thread?

Thanks!
I own the WM1A and my general observation of the Walkman burn in process is that all the different frequencies settle in and tighten up and smooth out, even though initially you may think it sounds fine - I feel it just ends up sounding sweeter. Although you can enjoy the journey I didn't bother to get too caught up in listening for changes, I just left it running with the odd listen because life is short and I wanted to get to the recommended time ASAP.
Although it was a step up from my ZX300 I didn't like the stock region firmware (very bass light) so used the tool to switch regions which was closer to the sound I liked, but it wasn't until these recent firmwares came out that I have really found a true sense of satisfaction. I have noticed my FiiO BTR5 has a bassier presentation.
I would recommend listening to the stock firmware for a period, then trying a custom firmware, then you can appreciate the improvements the wonderful Mr Walkman has achieved, and no, they don't require burn in.
What more could you want than awesome bass and holographic soundstage! The firmwares also have some other benefits: no album art issues, and native DSD playback on the 3.5mm output.
Enjoy.

Oct 31, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #82 of 5,308
Anybody know if the unique melody MEST sounds good with the wm1a or wm1z?

Oct 31, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #83 of 5,308
Anybody know if the unique melody MEST sounds good with the wm1a or wm1z?

I've listened with both (my WM1A is hardware modded by Nayparm and my WM1Z is stock), both with and without custom FW's.
I think it sounds great on both, and for my personal tastes, the little bit of additional organic warmth and richness from the WM1Z is a great complement to the MEST :)

Oct 31, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #84 of 5,308
Oct 31, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #85 of 5,308
Man I haven’t been in here for over 6 months and now a second thread to the worlds best dap!

Kudos
exactly...by far, this is the most universally loved upper end dap on Headfi

Oct 31, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #86 of 5,308
Oct 31, 2020 at 10:02 PM Post #87 of 5,308
Technology is wonderful and this level of miniaturization for DAPs (and similarly cell phones) has indeed been transformative to our daily lives. I also used to have a giant stereo (stacks of mono amps!) and am glad to not have to take up living room space with that anymore. :ksc75smile:
For me, it was the opposite...at home, I wanted to not always be tethered to a pair of cans/iems at home (when I do so alot on my commute and at work) and the lockdown had me exploring for desktop sets and speakers for once

Oct 31, 2020 at 10:04 PM Post #88 of 5,308
Nov 1, 2020 at 1:51 AM Post #89 of 5,308
there are zero rumours about a 1a/z successor guys , it would have been all over this place by now

besides , with the whole corona disaster , i don't expect anything before 2022

Nov 1, 2020 at 1:36 AM Post #90 of 5,308
We are now owning the new Walkmans sound wise at a value of $4000 a piece!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back