The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Oct 22, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #61 of 5,313
I got the WM1Zs for my Stellia on Monday this week and very impressed even right out of the box. It probably has just a bit over 50 hours of burn in right now and I am not sure if I can hear/notice any changes yet. Got a few questions,

1. I noticed the bass is lighter on the WM1Z than my iphone 6s+ and laptop and my Stellia do sound more "balanced". Do the bass become more full bodied as I burn these in or were my previous sources just really bass heavy? I did notice a very large improvement immediately in overall detail, resolution and general veil being lifted.

2. This is more general, after 200 hours of burn in, can I expect an even further noticeable improvement in sound because they already sound phenomenal. Also, if anyone recall, what sort of sonic changes should I keep an eye out for? I basically already listen to them about 4-6 hours a day and the rest of the time just leaves it on. Not sure if doing it this way I will ever notice it as it just happens slowly/gradually.

3. I plan on getting custom firmware for the 1Z, the DMP-WM1 . I am guessing I should hold off until the device is fully burned in? The firmware doesn't need burn in right?
Any additional changes I can expect apart from " with awesome bass response and amazing soundstage holography and extension " in the firmware thread?

Thanks!

Oct 22, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #62 of 5,313
What volume level are you all typically listening at with IEMs? So far I’ve only used Etymotic 2xr and whether via balanced or 3.5 I’m around 100 to really get absorbed and hear details.

Oct 22, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #63 of 5,313
Campfire Solaris 2020 balanced 40-60 depending on the source file.

Oct 22, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #64 of 5,313
What volume level are you all typically listening at with IEMs? So far I’ve only used Etymotic 2xr and whether via balanced or 3.5 I’m around 100 to really get absorbed and hear details.
In the same region across all IEM's best guess would be 30-60, occasionally 70, sometimes I'll flip to high gain as it should deliver more current which Andromeda can benefit from, as ever there can be a trade off.

Everyone's hearing is unique, I don't own or tried Etymotics IEM's, however I would be surprised if anyone listened to any of my IEM's listed in the signature below at a volume of 100 on WM1A for any length of time. On WM1A I currently have Sony XBA-N3 on Sony's 4.4 balanced Kimber Kabel; on Low Gain at 100/120; is extremely loud, I would approximate well and truly past 100dB SPL...

FWIW: Sony XBA-N3; 16 Ohms @ 1kHz, 107dB SPL/mW

Q-6

Oct 25, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #65 of 5,313
Here's a justification for music!

La la la daum.jpg

Oct 26, 2020 at 3:57 AM Post #68 of 5,313
Oct 26, 2020 at 10:04 PM Post #70 of 5,313
Does anyone use 1A/1Z with headphone instead of IEM? If yes, what headphone is it? Does it have enough juice to power it?
Cascade balanced using High gain, volume 50-70

Oct 27, 2020 at 3:09 AM Post #71 of 5,313
receive my 1A dap today. notice the manufacture date is 2020/2 . I thought i will be receiving old stocks..din't know they stil manufacture new unit.

Mine is June 2020
B8828442-61FB-4E02-AB64-A90AB6F1C32B.jpeg

Oct 27, 2020 at 3:18 AM Post #72 of 5,313
I agree. I did try an Android DAP (iBasso DX 220 + AMP 9), and I hated it. It was supposed to be good based on reviews, but it was overpriced, plagued with 'little details,' and the Chinese customer support was awful. I ended losing $200 after return fees.
I have the DX220 with a modified AMP8.
Then I bought the WM1Z.
Overall the DX220 outdoes the WM1Z in fidelity perspective.
But it is relatively much too dry and solid that sounds too harsh to my human ears.
Maybe a robot would love it instead.
The texture of DX220 is full-bodied, slightly warm, extremely dynamic, crystal-clear treble and bass, but rigid and unnatural vocal, somehow sweet though.
I have to admit that my ears changed gradually from analytical instrument to music listener. I used to listen to very harsh treble but now I prefer warm and emotional sound instead.

Oct 27, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #73 of 5,313
I have the DX220 with a modified AMP8.
Then I bought the WM1Z.
Overall the DX220 outdoes the WM1Z in fidelity perspective.
But it is relatively much too dry and solid that sounds too harsh to my human ears.
Maybe a robot would love it instead.
The texture of DX220 is full-bodied, slightly warm, extremely dynamic, crystal-clear treble and bass, but rigid and unnatural vocal, somehow sweet though.
I have to admit that my ears changed gradually from analytical instrument to music listener. I used to listen to very harsh treble but now I prefer warm and emotional sound instead.

One of my friends had that unit, and bought the amp 8&9 and I tried them.
We both agreed it was excellent quality sound, but still not as holographic or as musical as the Sony level..

Now with the latest "DMP-WM1 II" Firmware, it is so much leagues ahead of it's stock version in realism & holography, that
I don't see anything sub $2K touching it (in sound).

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2020 at 6:32 AM Post #74 of 5,313
😀

I just stumbled on this thread by mistake, missed the old thread.

How long should I expect to get out of my WM1A using it as a transport using USB out?

Would playing DSD files impact the playing / battery time?

Thanks

Oct 28, 2020 at 6:56 AM Post #75 of 5,313
IER-Z1R in high gain via balanced port at around 94, rarely down to 85 for PCM
Up to 110 for DSD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back