The new Sennheiser HD558 have arrived
Oct 4, 2010 at 9:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

zmd

500+ Head-Fier
Yesterday I took the plunge and got myself the new Sennheiser HD558, one of the updated models in Senns midrange of open headphones. I've been anticipating these ever since the first thread here on head-fi, so I guess I'd be the first to get them around here.

First off, I've never heard the HD555, but I've always loved the design and supposed comfort. FWIR they are not very exciting cans, so I've never considered them suitable for my listening habits - mainly rock, metal, alternative, a bit of rap and electronic sounds. I'll not be refering to the HD555 in this review.

Enter the HD558.

Build:
I have to confess that I first wanted these headphones for the looks alone, without knowing or caring how they'd sound. I just love the design, all black and sleek. The comfort is good and seems to be improving. When I first put them on this afternoon, they were surprisingly tight and stiff, but the pads have already softened and the headband seems to have comformed to my head within hours. 
The velour earpads and headband padding are quite firm actually, but with a very soft and fluffy texture. They do tend to pick up any and all dust and hairs.
The earcups are quite spacious, accomodating even big ears quite nicely. The fit is secure, because of the stiff headband. I do tend to headbang, yet had no problem with them moving or falling of my head.
The cable is detachable, quite thick and stiff, shouldn't break too easily. The big 1/4 inch connector is somewhat useless to me. I'd rather have had a 3.5 mm one plus and adapter, no the other way around.

Sound:
The first thing you notice about the sound is the loudness. These are not laid-back cans, neither are they boring. The sound grabs you, envelops you, thanks to the angled drivers, which do a good job of spreading the sound. You don't actually feel you've got speakers strapped to your ears with these on. A very nice feeling, actually. Haven't tried playing any games yet, I'll report on positioning later.

Bass is weighty and full, yet doesn't overpower anything. Mids are ok, clear and well sepparated, with plenty of air between instruments and vocals. There seems to be a small dip in the lower mids, but that migh be just my ears coming from the PX200-II, which have a very even response. The highs are, again, just ok, nice and smooth presence, not harshness or graininess, but nothing captivating either.

What impressed me the most was how well details like background instruments or voices shine through with these cans. They are very coherent throughout, even on songs that have been a challenge for my other headphones and even speakers.

It's kind of late, but I'll update this thread with more info and pictures in the next days. If you have any questions, shoot.

Overall, I think I found my last headphone.. for now.

Oct 4, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #2 of 13
Nice review. Looking forward for more updates! 
smile.gif

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Oct 5, 2010 at 4:50 AM Post #6 of 13
Are you sure it's a 1/4 inch plug? The HD600 is 1/8, but some people mistake it for being 1/4 because the adapter subtly blends with the 1/8 plug.

EDIT:

Never mind. I think that's changed from the HD555.

Oct 6, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #8 of 13

To all who asked: they've been available in Europe for about 3 weeks now. I got them for around 120 euros, but that's because Sennheiser has special prices for my country for some cans. You can check out various european Amazon sites for prices.

I've been kind busy and had stuffy ears these last days because of a cold, so no real updates on the sound for now. I think I'll just let them burn in (still a believer). Right now I'm a bit confused about the sound signature, since these sound different when plugged in to my Xonar DS headphone output (thin, anemic bass, like the HD448, but quite clear) and the speaker output on the card itself (big bass, if a bit boomy and fuzzy). So their actual "sound signature" is kind of a mystery. 

My limited heaphone experience doesn't make me a really good reviewer for these, just wanted to shed some light for others who might consider them. For now, I can just tell you I like the sound, but I think they're a bit of a letdown considering how much they cost. I mean, I got the Senn HD448 for less than half the money and they're not that different. The only things that surprised me were the coherence on complex tracks and the improved detail and soundstage. Maybe a better source or an amp is what I need here to make me wow.

Anyway, I'm patient, getting to know them and such. I'll probably end up liking them, since they're good cans and I want to like'em.

Oct 13, 2010 at 6:12 AM Post #10 of 13
Here's a few pics. Sadly, I cannot shoot headphones.

I don't really feel like commenting on the sound, as there seems that nothing is lacking or overdone in these cans. What I can tell you is that I'm enjoying them very much - modded, that is. I'll probably start picking the sound apart once upgraditis kicks in again, but for now they're just great to listen to. Maybe it's a good time to quit head-fi right now.. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 5, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #13 of 13
I may pick me up a pair, have you done the mod to them yet? begind the driver there is a foam plate one the housing if you remove that *so i have been told* they sound exactly like the 598, and that one of the few reasons I didnt buy the 598.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back