The New Schiit Audio Yggdrasil Impressions thread (read the first post)
Jun 16, 2018 at 7:19 AM Post #46 of 512
The thing I love about Yggy1 is the scary good ability to replicate acoustic music . Does the Yggy 2 have that same attribute ?

Yes. What I have experienced with Yggy 2 is putting on old favorites and being surprised by the sound, and the emotion evoked in a listening session. The 'wow' factor in old favorites has been the biggest indicator of Yggy 2's performance as a step beyond Yggy 1.

Jun 16, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #47 of 512
The thing I love about Yggy1 is the scary good ability to replicate acoustic music . Does the Yggy 2 have that same attribute ?
Yes, and more. My upgraded Yggy has been on for 2 weeks now. Listened to Bill Frisell's "Music IS" and Edward Simon's "Sorrows and Triumphs" last night, both well recorded small ensemble jazz (for an expansive idea of jazz :wink:). Compared to my memory of those albums from the Yggy 1, nothing was lost in realism, and I felt more immersed in a 3D musical space, rather than being outside listening in.

Jun 16, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #48 of 512
Never heard a Yggy 1, but yes. :smile_phones:

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2018 at 2:44 AM Post #49 of 512
Yes. What I have experienced with Yggy 2 is putting on old favorites and being surprised by the sound, and the emotion evoked in a listening session. The 'wow' factor in old favorites has been the biggest indicator of Yggy 2's performance as a step beyond Yggy 1.
Is this "emotional" trait specific to Yggy or do you find it present to a significant degree in Gumby as well?

Jun 19, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #50 of 512
Is this "emotional" trait specific to Yggy or do you find it present to a significant degree in Gumby as well?

I have never had a Gumby so I cannot offer a comparison. My Yggy 1 relegated my Gungnir to my BR system, but I have not had the means to upgrade that unit to multibit, so I cannot offer the comparison you seek. Sorry.

Jun 20, 2018 at 1:50 AM Post #52 of 512
Jun 20, 2018 at 7:12 AM Post #53 of 512
Anyone paired a Freya with their Yggdrasil?
I'm currently using an SPL Volume 2 for pre-amp duties, but have been entertaining the thought of going the tube route for a while.
My only concern is in Freya holding to the sonic level of Yggy...

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #54 of 512
My first piece of Schiit was the Yggy. It outputted to a Jaton RC-200 preamp. I bought the Freya a couple of months after its introduction and it was a big improvement. It goes without explanation that to get the best performance from any tubed piece of gear you need to use good tubes. Specific to the Freya is if you use tubes you need to dampen the chassis. It is too light weight and subject to resonance. Do that and I don't think you will find any preamp within double its price that is better.

Jun 20, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #55 of 512
My first piece of Schiit was the Yggy. It outputted to a Jaton RC-200 preamp. I bought the Freya a couple of months after its introduction and it was a big improvement. It goes without explanation that to get the best performance from any tubed piece of gear you need to use good tubes. Specific to the Freya is if you use tubes you need to dampen the chassis. It is too light weight and subject to resonance. Do that and I don't think you will find any preamp within double its price that is better.

Thank you for your honest response on the Yggy/Freya combo.

I'm a solid 98% sure I'll be ordering a Freya before the day is out. My only hold up right now is on deciding whether to grab a v2 Yggdrasil while I'm at it...
I love my v1 (with upgraded Gen5 USB), but I don't really want to go go though the hassle of being without it for several days while it's being updated to a v2 - Not to mention shipping costs between Canada and the US can get pricey.
Sure, it's still much cheaper than buying new, but I can sell my v1 to recoup some of those costs. Decisions, decisions, decisions.... :kissing:

Jun 20, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #57 of 512
Freya.jpg

Jun 20, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #58 of 512
Jun 20, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #59 of 512
Hahahaha, that photo gave me a good laugh! :laughing: Thanks.

I have some chassis damping devices that I use on most of my electronics (& speakers), so damping the Freya won't be a problem. Oooo, that reminds me, I think I have some tube dampers around somewhere as well... need to look into that.

Anyway, I caved... (BIG SHOCKER) ---- Yggy v2 and Freya are on order!

Jun 24, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #60 of 512
This weekend I compared my upgraded Yggy (I’ll call it Yggy B) to my friend’s original Yggy (Yggy A). My audio buddy and I both listen mostly to speaker systems. His system comprises Windows 10 computer with JRiver Music Center (fed by NAS), Paul Pang USB card, Mutec MC-3 + USB, Freya, Line Magnetics single ended amplifier, and Devore Orangutan O/96 speakers.

Our shared impressions are:

1. Yggy B improves bass response over Yggy A. Bass is more punchy, and, beyond that, bass instruments have improved natural sound. They just plain sound more like…um….themselves. I listen to a lot of acoustic jazz and Yggy B yields, for instance, a more “woody” sound to plucked or bowed upright bass than A., conveying the sound of the instrument body. To me, this alone is worth the price of admission.

2. Yggy B “layers”--front to back--performers and instruments better than Yggy A—and that was to me a strong suit of the original version. For example, Yggy B puts front to back space between piano, drums, bass, and vocalist, which lesser DACs may scruntch (technical term!) together. It also better reveals the recording environment—if that is present on the file.

3. Yggy B conveys a wonderful sense of depth in the recording environment, if present on the file. I suppose this follows from the “layering” comment in 2.

4. I think, but am less sure, that the overtones from cymbals are better presented with “tails” lasting longer and deeper into the noise floor.

These impressions seem to be consistent from system to system, no matter if they are similar or not. Before I compared Yggy A and B in my buddy’s system, I evaluated Yggy B in my own after about 350 post-upgrade power-on hours. My solo impressions were similar to the above even though I use electrostatic speakers and no preamplifier between Yggy and amplifier (I control volume in JRiver). (We share Paul Pang’s USB card and Mutec MC-3 + USB, though.)

I also hauled Yggy B to another friend’s house. (Yggy gets heavy after a while!) His system consists of: Windows 8 (fed by NAS), Wavelab 8.5, Mutec MC-3 + USB and Reference 10 clock, Merging Technologies Horus dac, and Meyer Sound X-10 speakers. As this gear suggests, he’s lives in the professional sound world as a mastering engineer. He matched playback levels to within 1 dB.

Both dacs sounded great on his system; neither better than the other, just different. Consistent with the above, my friend remarked that “Yggy moves the rear of the image outside my room into my neighbor’s yard.” He made this remark after we listened to “Immortal Bach” on the 2L label. This is a great recording with which to assess a system’s ability to image left to right and front to back.

I can’t end this post without saying “’Thank you” to Baldr for this significant and satisfying upgrade and to both him and Jason for fulfilling their promise to make upgrades available for Yggy.

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

Back