The New Schiit Audio Yggdrasil Impressions thread (read the first post)
Aug 9, 2018 at 8:02 AM Post #166 of 512
Quite the wordsmith mate! Thanks for the lucid commentary which supplies yet more credence to the idea that the Yggy should indeed be bought!
Cheers and keep reporting thoughts and insights on this wonderful piece of equipment.

Aug 9, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #170 of 512
Not mine, yet.

Aug 9, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #171 of 512
Sort of like saying there is less 'crowding' or compressing all of those similar sound signatures into one mass of 'strings', or horns

JJ

Great description of one of the most important (for me) characteristics of YggyA and even more so with YggyB!

Aug 10, 2018 at 12:18 AM Post #172 of 512
I did a bit of an A/B between the Hugo 2 (via iUSB 3.0 for best results) and Yggy A2, both going into the Audio-gd Master 9. My choice was the good ol' Friday Night in San Francisco.

It was nigh on impossible to tell them apart, except that the Yggy still has that hint of slightly more bass, and there was only the very slightest hint of better note decay and depth from the Hugo 2, though it was so slight that there's no way I'd pass a test on it.

I can't help wondering, given a crosstalk measurement showing a slight mid-bass bump, that this is the cause of the extra warmth in the bass. I've known another manufacturer to deliberately tweak the crosstalk in a circuit to make it sound warmer, so I'm basing my supposition on this.

Aug 10, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #173 of 512
In my experience there is now added bass extension, well down below 20Hz, where before, it didn't reach that far down.
And I don't hear a mid bass hump, which to me often sounds like 'one note bass', and while initially 'impressive' doesn't withstand my test of time.

In fact my JggyB could almost sound like it has less bass when compared to the original Jggy.
It's like there is less bass, because there isn't supposed to be any during certain tracks, and this new lack of bass 'remnants' makes it seem like there is less bass overall.

That is, until some low and and 'powerful' bass comes along, at which point there is, and in no uncertain terms, at all, that this bass has more REALNESS to it.

But then that is what I'm hearing coming from my majorly messed with system.

JJ

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2018 at 4:21 AM Post #174 of 512
Great description of one of the most important (for me) characteristics of YggyA and even more so with YggyB!
Yeah I heard the improvement of this sonic aspect with the Jggy when compared to the PWD.
But the JggyB is a whole nuther step up in this regard, along with several other desirable aspects.

JJ

Aug 10, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #175 of 512
I did a bit of an A/B between the Hugo 2 (via iUSB 3.0 for best results) and Yggy A2, both going into the Audio-gd Master 9. My choice was the good ol' Friday Night in San Francisco.

It was nigh on impossible to tell them apart, except that the Yggy still has that hint of slightly more bass, and there was only the very slightest hint of better note decay and depth from the Hugo 2, though it was so slight that there's no way I'd pass a test on it.

I can't help wondering, given a crosstalk measurement showing a slight mid-bass bump, that this is the cause of the extra warmth in the bass. I've known another manufacturer to deliberately tweak the crosstalk in a circuit to make it sound warmer, so I'm basing my supposition on this.

I am also hearing that the Yggy A2 is much closer to the Hugo 2 than the A1. This is interesting because there are so many dacs out there. Perhaps their sq reflects accuracy. A/B testing can be brutally honest and makes me regret doing so sometimes. The difference in depth in particular, is not very subtle to my ears.

Aug 10, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #176 of 512
You will love the A2, Brent. Are you going for the Gen5 USB as well?
Quite soon then, you will be able to experience what JJ wrote about so profoundly above. Those really are great descriptions, @johnjen.

:)
Well of all things they don’t have the Gen 5 so I held off but I’m thinking that was stupid. I like to know when something is going to happen but they don’t have a timeline so I opted to wait before I sent it in and that is probably stupid as they don’t know either but will re apply my RMA and just let it happen. I waited 5 weeks or so for the Yggy so what is a bit more time.

Aug 10, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #177 of 512
Yggdrasil Has Arrived people!

Attachments

• Yggy Has Arrived.JPG
    Yggy Has Arrived.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back