The new NW-HD5, my review+pics [warning 56k!]
May 30, 2005 at 1:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

gregtherotter

New Head-Fier
Review of NW-HD5
My review of the hd5:

Well at this minute im using the ‘line out’ connected to my HIFI. The sound is more than acceptable. Its also kinda cool to have 450 songs (at present, have used up 3 gigs) at your fingertips without having to change disc and switch to a usually abysmal radio , or have to plug the ‘line it’ of the HIFI into the headphone out of the computer.

first up, what you get in the box:
-'quick start' instruction manual
-adapter
-usb cable
-stock buds blagh!
-sonic stage 3.1
-carrying case(material:felt)
-1 lithium battery- was i the only one who was thinking it would be a gumstick battery?
whatsinthebox.jpg

SIZE:

ruler (sorry-didnt have a rules woth inches on it):
sizeruler.jpg

compared to n910:
hd5 upright again.
shotofhd5standingup-mz-n910.jpg

h5d on side:
hd5onside-mz-n910shot.jpg

TIME FOR SOME FRONTAL ACTION:;P
mz-n910 & nw-hd5
facedup.jpg

Build quality: first of all the unit is made in Malaysia. Uh oh, I hear you say. The finishes may not be perfect but they come close to it.
-The unit is made out of aluminium, all except for the part that is the hold button and top part of the dap. I always liked the feel of a cold md player, but now, as the hd5 does tend to generate small amount of heat, you find yourself sweating a bit and making the unit look not so matt black, haha. The screen unfortunately does scratch like butter so when you get it I would suggest buying a plastic adhesive, the kind you use on covering palm top screens. Haven’t seen them around but mi9ght invest
in one.

-Battery door: the battery door is a rather large thing, and has a big hinge on it. On top of that there is a hole where u push a pin into to release the door. Nice touch I think. I don’t think we’ll be having battery door problems anymore hopefully.
-Battery: I myself thought the battery was going to be a gumstick battery but no, it’s a lithium one. And the million dollar question on everyone’s mind is? ‘Does it charge as soon as you connect it to the computer?’ Answer? Yes. I know, it does sound too familiar. (ipod) Obviously the battery is easily replaced so I don’t think it’s going to be the end of the world.

The cover , of the USB port and DC in:
Unfortunately, it is extremely flimsy. (see video-warning-20 megabytes) The door is just kept secure by closing the flap and sliding in like the old battery doors except the flap here is apprx 1 mm thick. I doubt it will last more than a few months.

Corners: ok, by this I mean where the top of the unit , the plastic part has been put on. There is a 1/5 of a mm or so of a gap. I’m not concerned but I thought id mention it.

Finishes: the embossed walkman logo is a nice touch, as always, as is the engraved ‘sony’. There is also a hole to loop a cord or whatever to hold the hd5, not sure how to explain but I am talking about what you have on the mz-n910 to thread a string though. Also a nice touch.
The case you get is a felt jobbies and is not bad although id worry about crap getting into the case around the unit, as the case doesn’t close completely.

Sound: as most of you may be aware of, the hd5 can play MP3’S natively with one catch, or two. First is that it uses more battery life, Secondly, when using mp3's you dont get the hd5's e.q i.e rock, heavy etc, you get a the basic trebble and bass settings like on previous md units. Just to point out, obviously if you are using earphones like the schure e2c’s (cough cough) you wont feel this is the case. I am using the ex81’s and have no complaints, and you all know why. They bring out less of the flaws, or detail whichever way you want to see it.
One thing, it doesn’t play gapless, or wav files natively. So no lossless for you or me. There is still 256 kb/s atrac which still pretty good considering we all use md’s which use atrac (sp having not much higher a bit rate anyways).

Display:
The screen is great quality I would say. The song titles scroll across like on md units. I find it is not that easy to distinguish the titles when using the white background titles and black lettering.
The black screen and white letters work a little better with the scrolling text, but both work well.

Menu:
One small gripe I have is that, when you are listening to a sing you must click
-menu
- then if you are scrolling though artists and want to go back to where you were, you must click menu again and choose ‘ playback screen’ which essentially takes you back to the ‘now playing’ screen. I.e. there’s no cancel button like on the md units to take you back to where you were.
If anyone was wondering the device does have the super-fast forward thingy. And when you are navigating through artists/tracks etc you just press the button down for 2 seconds and it cycles down very fast too. There is also a function where you can search through a sort of alphabet, its called ‘initials search’ obviously this might be a bit useless if you have hundred songs with the letter ‘a’. but its still a nifty feature. There is the play list option also.

On a final note, the hd5 is well crafted, has decent features, and sounds just as you would expect such a device to sound. Like an md, haha .
video clip i made:http://designportfolio.ca/~graf2024_b122/hd51.avi

P5290013.jpg

P5290040.jpg

P5290038.jpg

P5290034.jpg

P5290029.jpg

P5290026.jpg

P5290025.jpg

initialsearch.jpg

May 30, 2005 at 2:12 AM Post #4 of 22
the player seems so unnecessarily large, like the width and stuff. If its trying to go as a competitor against the ipod, size is a factor. and the look of it isnt as smooth as the ipod, with tons of buttons sticking out. Not sure about the player, but great review and pictures...!

NEVERMIND - HAHA oops!SIZE]

May 30, 2005 at 2:23 AM Post #7 of 22
Unnecessarily large? Haven't you seen the comparison pics with the ipod? The HD5 is actually quite a bit smaller than the ipod.

As for looks, I think arguments can be made on both sides about how aesthetically attractive the new sony player is. But looks aside, what concerns me most is SonicStage. I've read comments concerning SS ranging from horrible to bad-but-not-debilitating, but I haven't read one comment praising it. How is the HD5 with SS?

May 30, 2005 at 3:45 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockit
the player seems so unnecessarily large, like the width and stuff.

It's barely wider and not much taller than my micro, assuming his ruler is in standard centimeters like mine.
rolleyes.gif

May 30, 2005 at 4:06 AM Post #9 of 22
the hd5 is real small. i own the hd3 and already think that it is really small already. i hope sony will do something about the mp3 EQ and put a scroller like they do for the Hi-MD units (e.g. RH910). both of this things are possible since they work on the rh910. if sony does implement in the HD6, they will have a real winner imo.
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2005 at 11:27 AM Post #11 of 22
Unnecessarily large?

nwhd5_ipod.jpg

I don't think it's the HD5 that's unnecessarily large...

Great review. The player has a lot of things that are really good going for it, but I think I'll be passing on it. I finally used an iPod for an extensive time, and I just can't get over the clickwheel. (Plus, aesthetically, the HD5 isn't all that appealing) Hopefully they make another Vaio Pocket, cause the G-Sense is pretty cool. (I wonder why they didn't use it for the HD series)

May 30, 2005 at 2:49 PM Post #12 of 22
Oh, wow. My mistake!
eek.gif

It is tiny. i Guess i was just fooled by some of the pictures!

Sorry
frown.gif

It actually is really tiny- after seeing that comparison pic above!

May 30, 2005 at 3:11 PM Post #13 of 22
What are you guys talking about, the hd5 is huge!

P5290034.jpg

May 30, 2005 at 5:18 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockit
the player seems so unnecessarily large, like the width and stuff. If its trying to go as a competitor against the ipod, size is a factor. and the look of it isnt as smooth as the ipod, with tons of buttons sticking out. Not sure about the player, but great review and pictures...!

NEVERMIND - HAHA oops!SIZE]

The buttons don’t stick out actually. I will do a side shot to show better. The are embossed but I wouldn’t say they ‘stick out’. if you see the width of the battery you will see it isn’t that thick, I will also do a ruler shot.
finershotr909.jpg

button-protrude.jpg

batterydoor.jpg

this may come as a shock to you but some people like me think the ipod looks bland. Just the facts that the hd5 isnt white, doesnt have a crap battery life, has a removable battery, and plays atrac files (like my net md), and plays mp3 natively, has sold me the hd5.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by TenaciousO
Unnecessarily large? Haven't you seen the comparison pics with the ipod? The HD5 is actually quite a bit smaller than the ipod.

As for looks, I think arguments can be made on both sides about how aesthetically attractive the new sony player is. But looks aside, what concerns me most is SonicStage. I've read comments concerning SS ranging from horrible to bad-but-not-debilitating, but I haven't read one comment praising it. How is the HD5 with SS?

I wont b.s anyone by saying Sony loves mp3, lol. The reason I say this is you don’t get a lossles audio codec for the hd5. One small gripe I have is that when you are importing songs to the hd5, if you have 5 songs lets say by a particular artist, and there is a spelling mistake in their name anywhere, then it will see it as a different artist. Not really s.s fault but still can be annoying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
What are you guys talking about, the hd5 is huge!

P5290034.jpg

hey whos that little man next to my giant hd5?
confused.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by DigDub
the hd5 is real small. i own the hd3 and already think that it is really small already. i hope sony will do something about the mp3 EQ and put a scroller like they do for the Hi-MD units (e.g. RH910). both of this things are possible since they work on the rh910. if sony does implement in the HD6, they will have a real winner imo.
biggrin.gif

I just realised I made a mistake, the hd5 DOES have an e.q for mp3’s, but that lets you choose trebble and bass levels
biggrin.gif
which is fine with me, as my r909 has this setup and I never had a problem with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back