The new Logitech MX500 totally rocks!!
Nov 17, 2002 at 1:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Flasken

Exhibit A in the case FOR a legal drinking age.
I just got my first optical mouse!!I've been waiting to get one until the technology had been perfected and now it is... The MX500 mouse from Logitech totally rocks - I LOVE it.

1170.jpg

Nov 17, 2002 at 3:20 PM Post #2 of 19
Heh, I've been arguing day and night with those Anandtech guys that the Razer Boomslang 2000 still beats the pants off this Logitech...
very_evil_smiley.gif
I had the MX700 for a while...Boomslang 2k utterly smoked it at sniping in Unreal Tournament. It's hard to go back to any other mouse once you've had a taste of that 2000 dpi resolution. I suppose if you want a down to earth mouse, the MX500 is the one to get...
confused.gif
But to me, optical mouse technology still hasn't been perfected yet in the smoothness/resolution department, in comparison to the Boomslang 2k.

Nov 17, 2002 at 4:00 PM Post #3 of 19
The BoomSlang felt really weird when I tried it in the store, and since I refuse to buy a mouse just for gaming, Logitech it is! Messed around w/ the MX700 in Best Buy yesterday, it really does rule as a general-purpose mouse.

Nov 17, 2002 at 5:10 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
Heh, I've been arguing day and night with those Anandtech guys that the Razer Boomslang 2000 still beats the pants off this Logitech...
very_evil_smiley.gif
I had the MX700 for a while...Boomslang 2k utterly smoked it at sniping in Unreal Tournament. It's hard to go back to any other mouse once you've had a taste of that 2000 dpi resolution. I suppose if you want a down to earth mouse, the MX500 is the one to get...
confused.gif
But to me, optical mouse technology still hasn't been perfected yet in the smoothness/resolution department, in comparison to the Boomslang 2k.

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't know the boomslang was wireless!!? I mean it'd have to be, cuz you cannot seriously be comparing a wired mouse to a wireless one !!??

Nov 17, 2002 at 10:30 PM Post #5 of 19
Why shouldn't I compare this specific cordless mouse to a corded one? According to Logitech's own statements and the many reviews I've read around the internet before I bought it, the MX700 performs no different than the MX500, just because its cordless. The only difference is the added weight of the batteries and the position of the optical LED. I believe there is no BSing going on there because the MX700 is indeed way smoother and tracks better then any previous cordless mouse I've used before. It's just not as good as the Boomslang for precision. So umm, yeah, if I didn't like the MX700, it's not very likely I'd like the MX500 over my Boomslang either. I had issues with the MX700's wheel as well, in that it was simply much too easy to spin it within games when trying to press down on the wheel as an alternate fire button. So instead of alternate firing in UT, I'd end up switching my weapon.

I actually find the Boomslang a lot more comfortable and easy to manuver in everyday usage than the MX700. Guess I just got use to it over the two years I've had it now. Now that they're discontinued, I intend to stock up on a couple from Ebay. I was honestly hoping that I could replace my Boomslang with the MX700 which is why I didn't just run out to the store and buy one overnight, but instead carefully read reviews on it first, but it just never happened.

But as I said, I think these Logitech mouses are great for everyday down to earth average usage. I'm just saying I'm a little disappointed in them for gaming. If you're not a gamer you could probably disregard what I've said, but if you do precision graphic design or anything that requires extra precision with a mouse, it might be worth exploring the extra dpi the Boomslang has.

Nov 17, 2002 at 11:16 PM Post #6 of 19
I think that part of what makes the boomslang feel more acurate is the fact that you move it with your fingers. Other than that, I don't feel any difference between that and the MX engine mice... And for gaming I only use the mouse for triggering weapons, so I only need the left and right buttons. Not the scroll weel. what do you use your right button for anyways??

Nov 17, 2002 at 11:49 PM Post #7 of 19
My right mouse button goes towards jumping. I guess you're right regarding the finger movement of the Boomslang...I didn't even realize it but I've been moving the Boomslang all this time with just my thumb and pinkie, and flicks of the wrist. Mouses shaped like the MX500 sort of force you to use your whole hand.
I like how the Boomslang is weighted towards the rear too, and that it's a somewhat heavy mouse.

Oh well, different strokes for different folks...
wink.gif

Nov 18, 2002 at 12:15 AM Post #8 of 19
hmmm, I was thinking of getting the mx500 over the 700. I just don't trust wireless mice yet.
wink.gif
I guess optical tech has matured enough to be ok for gaming. . . right now, I'm using a logitech mouseman wheel usb. One of the best mice ever, imho. My friend used to have a razor. Just never grew on me. . . maybe I'll check out ebay.

Nov 18, 2002 at 12:25 AM Post #9 of 19
Wireless mice are garbage. I use a microsoft optical with a ratzpad. Its a great combination imo (no cleaning, very accurate).

Biggie.

Nov 18, 2002 at 3:34 AM Post #10 of 19
I love wireless mice in theory. They had one at best buy that was a display model and they were giving it away for free. Pretty nice of them to do that...
smily_headphones1.gif
It was the old model logitec with the thumb button. The tracking is fairly slow but the shape of the mouse is superb... The third button is right under your thumb and very easy to click yet still allows for excellent mouse control. The new mx series isnt as convenient. I personally dont need forward and back buttons on my friggin mouse. Nor do I need a wheel, I prefer a center scroll button. I need a 3 button mouse where the 3rd button is just as easy to click as the other ones... And it needs to be wireless. ANY ADVICE?? Seems like all the wireless mice are marketed as being 'special' internet mice or something ridonkulous.

Nov 19, 2002 at 7:42 PM Post #11 of 19
I use Logitech Optical Wheelmouse(yeah, the cheap $30 one)/Everglide Large Attack Pad (regular, black) combo and will stick with it. It's smooth as hell, and is accurate as a .....

I won't mention any names, Vert,
wink.gif
besides, more "resolution" won't make up for lack of skill.

Nov 19, 2002 at 10:39 PM Post #12 of 19
I use a microsoft wireless intelli mouse explorer. It's optical, it's okay. I don't know squat about mouses and I don't play games. So the only thing I can really add is this. This thing eats batteries like crazy. I finally started using my Powerex chargeables. I get about 3 weeks out them. The only problem using them is that when the low battery warning comes up, I need to change them out with in an hour, not a couple of days like alkaline batteries.

Nov 19, 2002 at 11:30 PM Post #14 of 19
Like I said, I use a logitech mouseman wheel USB(balled), and a Func surface1030 pad. Once you get a 4th thumb button to go back, there's no going back. (Sorry for the pun)

Nov 19, 2002 at 11:49 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
Like I said, I use a logitech mouseman wheel USB(balled), and a Func surface1030 pad. Once you get a 4th thumb button to go back, there's no going back. (Sorry for the pun)

Ahhh... I see that you too are wise in the ways of the 4th thumb button.

Edit: Just noticed that that was post 123.... wow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back