The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses.
Jul 27, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #1,426 of 1,522
Thanks for the info. If the S600's sound this good, I could only imagine how good the 400/500 series will sound. Will probably be picking them up soon.

Jul 27, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #1,427 of 1,522
the s600s are no where near the s4/500s, completely different drivers and such.

Really?

Why on earth would JVC or any other company like that propose to produce a lower/lesser iteration version of higher quality materials than the more advanced iteration of the same item?

Jul 27, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #1,428 of 1,522

Really?

Why on earth would JVC or any other company like that propose to produce a lower/lesser iteration version of higher quality materials than the more advanced iteration of the same item?

Because the S600 is a lot older and came before the new materials came into play. S900 won't even sound as good as the S500. JVC does a bad job of naming things or doesn't change names so you have to do your homework to know an FX800 is not better than an FX750 or an S700 is not better than an S400.

Of course the S660 is a newer model yet doesn't use the newer materials. Age is not always the indicator either :)

Guess what, with JVC, the materials aren't even the total picture. They put the S500 nanotube drivers in an old M750 housing and called it the S770 but it sounds a bit worse the the S500.

Then there is JVC for America making the SR500 which is put in like it is the S500 but it is not. It is just an refresh of an older model.

You have to do two things with JVC. Stick to the Japanese models and pay attention to the materials they use. Wood is above Carbon Nanotubes, which is above Carbon compound, etc.

Jul 27, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #1,429 of 1,522

Because the S600 is a lot older and came before the new materials came into play. S900 won't even sound as good as the S500. JVC does a bad job of naming things or doesn't change names so you have to do your homework to know an FX800 is not better than an FX750 or an S700 is not better than an S400.

Of course the S660 is a newer model yet doesn't use the newer materials. Age is not always the indicator either :)

Guess what, with JVC, the materials aren't even the total picture. They put the S500 nanotube drivers in an old M750 housing and called it the S770 but it sounds a bit worse the the S500.

Then there is JVC for America making the SR500 which is put in like it is the S500 but it is not. It is just an refresh of an older model.

You have to do two things with JVC. Stick to the Japanese models and pay attention to the materials they use. Wood is above Carbon Nanotubes, which is above Carbon compound, etc.

I see. Thanks for clearing that up.

So, which one is better between the S400 and the S500 then?

I just acquired the S400 from someone here, and am liking the sound pretty well so far. But I DO feel that a source player better than an iPhone will also eventually help, but I realize that this has nothing to do with this thread.

Jul 30, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #1,430 of 1,522
So I did the tape mod and removed the ring on the outside of the earcups on these headphones, and man, they have some REALLY good clarity while being not sibilant at all.

Unfortanetly, sometimes the midrange sounds a bit recessed to my ears, but that's because I got the AKG K81 pads on them which makes them sound less forward, but better than the stock pads.

But on some songs it's almost mind blowing how clear they sound, while still not being sibilant at all.

I think that is to do with the very soft and high quality treble texture of these headphones.

I wanted an over ear upgrade, so I ordered the big brother of these headphones a week ago, the JVC HA-S680. I'm hoping they will sound even better than them!

Jul 31, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #1,431 of 1,522

Aug 18, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #1,432 of 1,522
the s600s are no where near the s4/500s, completely different drivers and such.

Just FWIW. Assuming these links display in english. Both of these links within the JVC web site are listing the s600's as being "Carbon-Nanotubes-Headphones". Listed in both the category, and the title.

http://www.jvc.ro/product.php?id=HA-S600-E&catid=100138

http://www.sk.jvc.eu/product.php?id=HA-S600-E&catid=100123

The US Site uses the same actual item description as the above two, where they are simply called "carbon diaphragms", but never uses the word nanotube.

Maybe that explains why they sound go good. I like this design better than the s400/s500 because it resembles the famous "eggo" design, and they are circumaural vs supra-aural.

EDIT: It appears they have recently been discontinued, so I guess it's a moot point.

Aug 24, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #1,433 of 1,522

So today the AT pleathers came that cute recommended (on the right). I compared these with the K81DJ pads (on the left) that I got a little hysterical over since first listen. The AT's have a larger opening, are thinner, and have a tighter fit on the S400's. That said, the AT pleathers are looser than all of the other pads I have tried. It's because that both of these are loose fitting, IMO, that they yield better clarity than every other pad I have tried. I believe the loose fit allows a venting property that makes everything else sound somewhat muddier in comparison.

Compared to the K81's, the AT's sound brighter, leaner, have a lot less bass and subsequently better bass control. The differences are significant. It will be a matter of preference for what pads you find better. My strong preference is to the sound of the K81DJ pads. Clarity being king, my second choice would be the AT pleathers. I just find that the K81's for me are more neutral, and are more capable of strong realistic bass when called for. Here is my list of pads I have tried in order of preference:

Winners:
1. K81DJ
2. AT Pleathers

Less clarity:
3. Sennheiser Pleathers
4. Sennheiser Velours
5. AT Velours

Trash recommendation:
Stock pads

I can't get over how different each pad sounds. The differences are not subtle. It literally only takes a few seconds to tell these a part.

This concludes my ear pad excursion. Thanks to all. Happy listening!

Forgive me for referecing a two-year-old quote here, but can someone please tell me where I can purchase these two earpads ... I checked eBay, and feel rather confident that I can get the K81DJ on there ... But am clueless as to where to get the AT Pleather ...

Also, if anyone knows of any other pads which work well with the HA-S400s, please chime in ...

Thanks!

PS ... I would also most certainly welcome any posts of people who would like to give step-by-step instructions on the how-to's of installing such aftermarket earpads. I don't know, maybe I can find this on YouTube ... Who knows 
rolleyes.gif

Aug 24, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #1,434 of 1,522
Forgive me for referecing a two-year-old quote here, but can someone please tell me where I can purchase these two earpads ... I checked eBay, and feel rather confident that I can get the K81DJ on there ... But am clueless as to where to get the AT Pleather ...

Also, if anyone knows of any other pads which work well with the HA-S400s, please chime in ...

Thanks!

PS ... I would also most certainly welcome any posts of people who would like to give step-by-step instructions on the how-to's of installing such aftermarket earpads. I don't know, maybe I can find this on YouTube ... Who knows  :rolleyes:  
There's one just for the HA-S(4/5)00, but it's somewhere way back in a thread, these are the same way to install the pads though:
[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rxYxgo_PMVs#t=0[/VIDEO]

Aug 24, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #1,435 of 1,522
Thanks for that.

Aug 25, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #1,436 of 1,522

Aug 25, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #1,437 of 1,522
  But the others versions don't suck right? I mean, they still outperform most headphones in their price range?

Sure, but the red ones are even better - as they are made for the Japanese market, and others for export to gaijins.

Crap, I wish someone had told me this before I went and bought a pair with the silver rings on it.

Or ... Could it just be a load of BS

Sep 3, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #1,438 of 1,522
I just ordered the white S400 off Walmart and should be getting them this weekend! I'm looking to get the AKG pads that everyone is talking about.

Are these ones: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1-Pair-Replacement-Earpads-Ear-Pads-Cushion-for-AKG-K518DJ-Headphones-PU-Leather/371094528679 ($3.49 w/ free shipping)

the same as these ones?: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Original-New-Replacement-earpad-AKG-K518DJ-Leather-ear-pad-/261110634277 ($3.99 + $3.99 shipping)

Sep 4, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #1,439 of 1,522
  I just ordered the white S400 off Walmart and should be getting them this weekend! I'm looking to get the AKG pads that everyone is talking about.

Are these ones: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1-Pair-Replacement-Earpads-Ear-Pads-Cushion-for-AKG-K518DJ-Headphones-PU-Leather/371094528679 ($3.49 w/ free shipping)

the same as these ones?: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Original-New-Replacement-earpad-AKG-K518DJ-Leather-ear-pad-/261110634277 ($3.99 + $3.99 shipping)

Not sure about the first earpads, but the second ones are the right ones.

Make you sure you let them burn in for atleast 200 hours or more, and remove the dust filter from the K518 pads and make the holes in the pads bigger by extending them with your fingers.

Sep 5, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #1,440 of 1,522
  Not sure about the first earpads, but the second ones are the right ones.

Make you sure you let them burn in for atleast 200 hours or more, and remove the dust filter from the K518 pads and make the holes in the pads bigger by extending them with your fingers.

Will removing the dust filters open up the sound any?

Also, should the burn-in take place with the new pads on, or does it matter (I know it might be a stupid question, but I wasn't sure if burn-in had any effect on the pads, themselves).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back