The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses.
May 29, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #1,411 of 1,522
Hey guys, I'm having a problem with the S400. The earcups on both side that can swing from left to right, are very loose right now, which makes the imaging qualities very bad when I listen to music.

Is there any way I can make them more sturdy?

May 31, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #1,412 of 1,522
  Hey guys, I'm having a problem with the S400. The earcups on both side that can swing from left to right, are very loose right now, which makes the imaging qualities very bad when I listen to music.

Is there any way I can make them more sturdy?

Did you see if tightening the screws inside the headband helped? If they're solid, try unscrewing them and looking inside.

Jul 5, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #1,413 of 1,522
Has anyone here ever done an A-B Comparison between these and the MEElec HT-21's (preferably the new 2nd Gen edition which was just released recently)?

I am thinking about getting either one or the other ... But then again, maybe I should just get BOTH, and decide for myself 
confused_face_2.gif

Jul 5, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #1,414 of 1,522
  Has anyone here ever done an A-B Comparison between these and the MEElec HT-21's (preferably the new 2nd Gen edition which was just released recently)?

I am thinking about getting either one or the other ... But then again, maybe I should just get BOTH, and decide for myself 
confused_face_2.gif

I don't know about the MEElec's, but I know about the S400.

Here is my opinion on them:

They sound FANTASTIC, if you get the AKG K81 pads for them, remove the dust filter in the pads and make the hole in the pads bigger by extending them with your fingers.

I've tried out many things to make them sound at their best, and this is my final attempt.

I'm not exagereting here, but they have more clarity in this setting than the Philips X1 with onboard audio.

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #1,416 of 1,522
Alright, got them now and gotta say I am kinda disappointed. They're pretty boomy and muddy in the low end and have almost no treble sparkle. Does burn in change that? I also tried K518/K81 pads on them and they only became muddier!

Jul 9, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #1,417 of 1,522
  Alright, got them now and gotta say I am kinda disappointed. They're pretty boomy and muddy in the low end and have almost no treble sparkle. Does burn in change that? I also tried K518/K81 pads on them and they only became muddier!

Burn-in definitely helps.
Leave them on for 200 hours.

Jul 9, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #1,418 of 1,522

As BenF said, burn them in for about 200 hours.

Mine sounded horrible as well in the beginning.

Oh, and one more thing. You need to cut a hole in the K81 dust pads, and extend them with your fingers so the hole in the pads become bigger.

Jul 14, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #1,420 of 1,522
After trying out many of these mods I finally found a way to really enjoy these: by removing the shiny plastic rings from behind the cups three little holes open up and release that congested sound I was hearing before. The shouty mids are gone and it sounds a little more airy, but now they don't look as nice as they used to be.

Jul 14, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #1,421 of 1,522
  After trying out many of these mods I finally found a way to really enjoy these: by removing the shiny plastic rings from behind the cups three little holes open up and release that congested sound I was hearing before. The shouty mids are gone and it sounds a little more airy, but now they don't look as nice as they used to be.

How did you remove them?

Jul 25, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #1,424 of 1,522

confused_face_2.gif

I have the HT21's and didn't really like the sound. They sound very thin and muffled, IMO, and they have that closed can honky-ness in the mids that I can't stand. I am not a fan of forward mids (in the vocal range), so some people may like them.

I ended up with the HA-S600's, which are listed as having carbon diaphragms, but I can't tell if they also have the nanotube drivers. They sound pretty good IMO, if you like a darker treble (I do). The best way to describe their sound would probably be "smooth", or "laid back" across the spectrum. I go to them if I am having ear fatigue from some of my other cans. :p  Anyone know if they use the same drivers as the 400 series?

Jul 26, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #1,425 of 1,522
I have the HT21's and didn't really like the sound. They sound very thin and muffled, IMO, and they have that closed can honky-ness in the mids that I can't stand. I am not a fan of forward mids (in the vocal range), so some people may like them.

I ended up with the HA-S600's, which are listed as having carbon diaphragms, but I can't tell if they also have the nanotube drivers. They sound pretty good IMO, if you like a darker treble (I do). The best way to describe their sound would probably be "smooth", or "laid back" across the spectrum. I go to them if I am having ear fatigue from some of my other cans. :p The problem with the S600's is that they are ported, so the bass gets farty, and generally sounds bad below the tuning frequency. Anyone know if they use the same drivers as the 400 series?
the s600s are no where near the s4/500s, completely different drivers and such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back