The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Jul 3, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #6,361 of 9,165
Quote:
Has anyone DIYed the AK100 mod(the 22ohm bypass)? $250+Shipping from/to Korea seems bit too much, considering that it's just a simple cable mod. Also, the wait time is bit too long. I'm going to Spain in a week...

As far as I know, besides RWAK,
there's one offering the modding in Thai, and the other in HK.
HK version costs around 130USD, nearly half the price,
but I don't know if he does overseas shipping.
And it's not that simple.
You have to consider the bypassing cable they use.
I believe Vinnie's using good quallity ones.

You can always find someone to do it for you in where you live, I think.
Just go ask on local audiophile forum.

Jul 3, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #6,362 of 9,165
Quote:

As far as I know, besides RWAK,
there's one offering the modding in Thai, and the other in HK.
HK version costs around 130USD, nearly half the price,
but I don't know if he does overseas shipping.
And it's not that simple.
You have to consider the bypassing cable they use.
I believe Vinnie's using good quallity ones.

You can always find someone to do it for you in where you live, I think.
Just go ask on local audiophile forum.

Ok. I might try HK. I'll might be there is a month or two. But thanks. I'll check with Korean audiophile forum.

Jul 3, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #6,365 of 9,165
Quote:
Also Rudi s friend in Indonesia...mod stage 1 to 8. I can attest the quality but the price is not lower than RWAK. They often use very expensive cable.

Indonesia is another place that I might visit. I'll keep in mind. But does a short cable really cost $250? I mean I know that we are paying for their service and craftsmanship, but $250 seems a bit too much.

Jul 3, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #6,367 of 9,165
I have to acknowledge that Vinnie has done a wonderful job on modding the AK100 to S.......received the unit this lunchtime.

The usage of the 8741 has improved as expected but particularly in detail retrieval. Hearing so much more, larger soundstage in all three axis x, y z, better spacial cues, nuances, micro details......bass is stronger, deeper and thumps hard.

Will let it play and settle but initial thoughts are, it is taking personal audio, a few notches higher. 

Again, thank you very much Vinnie
size]

Jul 3, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #6,368 of 9,165
I have to acknowledge that Vinnie has done a wonderful job on modding the AK100 to S.......received the unit this lunchtime.

The usage of the 8741 has improved as expected but particularly in detail retrieval. Hearing so much more, larger soundstage in all three axis x, y z, better spacial cues, nuances, micro details......bass is stronger, deeper and thumps hard.

Will let it play and settle but initial thoughts are, it is taking personal audio, a few notches higher. 

size]
Amped with what ?

Jul 3, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #6,369 of 9,165
Quote:

size]

so how it compares to AK120?

Jul 3, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #6,371 of 9,165
Jul 3, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #6,373 of 9,165
LOL Buddy.....

All I can say is, " I am sending my Gold AK100 to Vinnie in a week or so for the mod!" That is how highly I think of the AK100S 
size]

Enough said!

Congrats Gavin for your two RWA AK 100 S black and gold

You have choose 1.0 Volt output , what do you think about 2.00 volt output ?
I plan to use with headphone as well

Power wise RWA AK 100 S vs AK 100 stock is bigger how many ?

Thank you

Jul 3, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #6,374 of 9,165
Quote:

LOL Buddy.....

All I can say is, " I am sending my Gold AK100 to Vinnie in a week or so for the mod!" That is how highly I think of the AK100S 
size]

Enough said!

its gonna take quite some time... Vinnie's gonna break up the Gold and run tests and then compare it to the black.. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 3, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #6,375 of 9,165
At least he'll be able to put the color versus sq to rest. I am myself highly suspicious of a device of different color having dissimilar characteristics knowing that the company rep himself said there are no differences. I am siding with Vinnie saying that the only variable left is the component choice, that I would believe could have an impact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back