The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Jun 30, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #6,241 of 9,165
quote: lol. Sucks to be in the states(although i do live there). I bought the ak100 for about 450usd new. endquote

Well, generally the US has the lowest pricing in the first world, so don't feel too bad that from time to time it is not always the case. As I am a hifi retailer in Canada, our prices are normally 5-20% higher than in the US but often prices are very comparable to European pricing. I will say that if I buy 5 AK100 from iRiver, my cost on each piece is more than $450USD even before shipping, and brokerage fees. I hate this ongoing contest where people brag about how little they paid for something - as though the rest of the world are idiots if they pay a price higher than the low, low price they paid after they raped a retailer.
It comes down to the fact that we can't all afford everything we want, but if you are patient, you may pick up a used one for a nice discount.

Gramophone
Shouldn't a person be considered an idiot if he spends more money then needed? I'm aware that buying the ak100 for 450 might be hard for some, but it's still worth mentioning imo.

Jun 30, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #6,242 of 9,165
Quote:
Shouldn't a person be considered an idiot if he spends more money then needed? I'm aware that buying the ak100 for 450 might be hard for some, but it's still worth mentioning imo.

I agree. Especially if it can help others get the gear for cheaper it is to benefit the members.

Jun 30, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #6,243 of 9,165
That is not what gramophone said at all. It is fine to post deals but just be mindful the world does not revolve around the USA and sometimes the cost of importing nullifies the difference. To even criticise someone for paying what they are being charged in their local territory - well if you do not get it then that speaks for itself so let's leave it there.

Jun 30, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #6,244 of 9,165
How the hell did I get 9 posts? Anyways, what I meant to say was that yes, not everything goes around US and I respect gramophone for his thoughts. I didn't buy my AK100 new at the store, but from a seller who happened to receive them as a gif and didn't want it. The deal I posted is strictly limited to Korea.

Jun 30, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #6,245 of 9,165
I got mine under USD500 from Japan amazon... local distributor was selling it well over USD600!

Jun 30, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #6,247 of 9,165
Hi guys, I have made a very interesting discovery...

If I lick the left side of my device with the tip of my tongue, there appears to be a subtle but definite improvement to SQ. The bass seems fuller, with a little more texture and the mids are slightly more forward. In addition to this, if I place the unit in my underpants (approx 3/4s of the way down and roughly 6mm from my right leg) There is an obvious improvement to both the soundstage and 3d imaging. Listening to music sounds like I'm being slapped in the face with a large wet fish. Truly exhilarating! 

These mods open up the full potential of the AK100 and set it several stages above any other dap currently on the market!

If anyone is interested I will be setting up a service to mod other users devices in the same manner. There will be a minimal fee of £299.99 + a crate of bananas for the service*

* I will not be held responsible, if all you get in return is empty banana skins

Feel free to PM me if you are interested in the 'Wet Fish stage 1 mod'

Jun 30, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #6,248 of 9,165
Quote:
Hi guys, I have made a very interesting discovery...

If I lick the left side of my device with the tip of my tongue, there appears to be a subtle but definite improvement to SQ. The bass seems fuller, with a little more texture and the mids are slightly more forward. In addition to this, if I place the unit in my underpants (approx 3/4s of the way down and roughly 6mm from my right leg) There is an obvious improvement to both the soundstage and 3d imaging. Listening to music sounds like I'm being slapped in the face with a large wet fish. Truly exhilarating! 

These mods open up the full potential of the AK100 and set it several stages above any other dap currently on the market!

If anyone is interested I will be setting up a service to mod other users devices in the same manner. There will be a minimal fee of £299.99 + a crate of bananas for the service*

* I will not be held responsible, if all you get in return is empty banana skins

Feel free to PM me if you are interested in the 'Wet Fish stage 1 mod'

Lol. OMG sarcasm here. What a good joke.
deadhorse.gif

Jun 30, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #6,249 of 9,165
Quote:
Lol. OMG sarcasm here. What a good joke.
deadhorse.gif

No joke! 

This is a serious mod. If you can't hear the difference, then your ears are broken and you aren't a real audiophile... can you hear the difference now?

Jun 30, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #6,250 of 9,165
Quote:
I got mine under USD500 from Japan amazon... local distributor was selling it well over USD600!

It's kinda funny how I hear all these shopped prices, while the US dealers are so firm on the $699 price...

Jun 30, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #6,251 of 9,165
Quote:

It's kinda funny how I hear all these shopped prices, while the US dealers are so firm on the $699 price...

Well, pricing in Korea is controlled strictly by iRiver to about $625 as well. It's just local sellers selling them in new(they usually receive ak100 as a gift, and don't want it), mint(just opened it to try), or used(buying something else, or doesn't like it) for a very cheap price in Korea.

Jun 30, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #6,253 of 9,165

The cheapest one I got is from Fujiya Tokyo headphone festival 400 usd only
Next event is 15 Jul if you need one.

Jun 30, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #6,254 of 9,165
Quote:
Hmm... I see where this is going. Any chance for a professional review on your mod?
tongue_smile.gif

Yes... I have given a free mod to several people whom I consider serious audio professionals and they all confirm it is the best thing they have ever heard. Satisfied? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back