The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
May 8, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #4,771 of 9,165
GREED IS GOOD 
evil_smiley.gif

@AmberOzL, sir, you know what? even for people who can part easily with a few thousands the asking price of AK120 is way ridiculous.

May 8, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #4,772 of 9,165
Quote:
GREED IS GOOD 
evil_smiley.gif

@AmberOzL, sir, you know what? even for people who can part easily with a few thousands the asking price of AK120 is way ridiculous.

The price we are talking about is euro right?

Take a look at this: http://www.amazon.de/iriver-Astell-Kern-AK100-schwarz/dp/B00AENWKLK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368048347&sr=8-1&keywords=ak100

amazon.de, ak100 is 700 euros.

and this: http://www.amazon.com/Astell-AK100-Mastering-Quality-Portable/dp/B00A6LX0F0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368048420&sr=8-1&keywords=ak100

amazon.com, ak100 is 700 dollars.

I read some calculations that saying it will be 1700 dollars or something.

According to these prices, it might be 1300 dollars only.

But, Gintaras, I def. agree with you. For a reasonable price I would go for it but this is way too much. iRiver just wants to play with marketing rules and sell overpriced I guess.

Btw, it is time for us to open a thread for AK120 I guess 
wink.gif

May 8, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #4,773 of 9,165
So, why isn't the marketplace flooded with AK100s?  No takers?  Bummer.....

May 8, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #4,774 of 9,165
I am having an issue with my RWAK100, I have about 15 gigs of FLAC's loaded on it, no external cards installed.  I usually listen to it using shuffle mode for all songs.  What I have been noticing lately is that every once in a while it will be playing a song and, without finishing the current song, it will jump to the next song.  This might happen once or twice in an hour's time of listening, pretty annoying.  Sometimes the song is just started, sometimes it's half way through, it is totally random.  Anybody else having this issue?

May 8, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #4,775 of 9,165
http://www.astell-kern.de/downloads/AstellKern_Webbrochure_de.pdf

Looks like the AK120 will have 64GB internal storage, and a slightly larger battery.

Not sure why they couldn't get the output impedance under 3-ohms though!  
confused.gif

There are plenty of IEMs under 30-ohms and that is still going to lead to less-than-ideal matching 
(but it is still a lot better than 22 ohms).

Looking forward to checking it out in due time.  Here's to hoping it has gapless playback right off the bat. 
wink.gif

Vinnie

May 8, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #4,776 of 9,165
I am having an issue with my RWAK100, I have about 15 gigs of FLAC's loaded on it, no external cards installed.  I usually listen to it using shuffle mode for all songs.  What I have been noticing lately is that every once in a while it will be playing a song and, without finishing the current song, it will jump to the next song.  This might happen once or twice in an hour's time of listening, pretty annoying.  Sometimes the song is just started, sometimes it's half way through, it is totally random.  Anybody else having this issue?
I think if you search in this thread, others may have encountered this before. This sounds familiar to me (unless I'm getting this symptom confused with another DAP). I guess you're already on f/w v1.33?

May 8, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #4,777 of 9,165
Quote:
http://www.astell-kern.de/downloads/AstellKern_Webbrochure_de.pdf

Looks like the AK120 will have 64GB internal storage, and a slightly larger battery.

Not sure why they couldn't get the output impedance under 3-ohms though!  
confused.gif

There are plenty of IEMs under 30-ohms and that is still going to lead to less-than-ideal matching 
(but it is still a lot better than 22 ohms).

Looking forward to checking it out in due time.  Here's to hoping it has gapless playback right off the bat. 
wink.gif

Vinnie

Agree about OI. If I'm buying a >$1000 DAP, I would want it to perform PERFECTLY with every IEM I own and not need Vinnie to work his magic on it for an extra fee above the already very high price.

I'll stick with my RWAK100 and have a smile from ear-to-ear thanks. 
popcorn.gif

May 8, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #4,778 of 9,165
Quote:

Quote:
I think if you search in this thread, others may have encountered this before. This sounds familiar to me (unless I'm getting this symptom confused with another DAP). I guess you're already on f/w v1.33?

Yup me and a few others. I am on f/w 1.30 btw

Currently the issues I have with the player are:

1. Random ending of songs
2. Incorrect tags that I just couldnt fix (tried fixing in itunes but no go)
3. Inaccurate battery meter

May 8, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #4,779 of 9,165
Quote:
Yup me and a few others. I am on f/w 1.30 btw

Currently the issues I have with the player are:

1. Random ending of songs
2. Incorrect tags that I just couldnt fix (tried fixing in itunes but no go)
3. Inaccurate battery meter

All - I believe these are all software related issues (nothing to do with the stock AK100 hardware or the modification).  I wish I could explore this and
help, but I have not access to the software.  If it is hardware related, I can help in that department.  

Hopefully these issues have been brought to the attention of iRiver and we'll see them get addressed in a new firmware update.

But in the meantime, try reloading the latest firmware 1.33 and hopefully it will get taken care of.

Vinnie

May 8, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #4,780 of 9,165
Quote:
That German pdf listed the prices for the AK100 at 699 and that AK120 at 1299.   I guess it is supposed to be in euros or german currency, but 699 is the official price in us dollars for the AK100.   That could be a coincidence, but that might mean that the AK120 will be coming in at 1299 USD too.  That isn't a great price, but at least it wouldn't be 1.5K!  I am in agreement with a lot of people here.  I might jump at 1K, but over that makes me hesitate.  Would probably wait for reviews.

The same.

May 9, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #4,782 of 9,165
I will only buy the AK120 if the SQ is noticeably better than the DX100  
size]
 Another thing, I personally find it much easier to browse through my albums and select songs on the DX100 due to its larger screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back