The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Feb 23, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #2,791 of 9,165
Quote:
Btw, today I find that my AK100 optical out have "Red Light out" through my optical cable,
but the ibasso D12 seems got no signal.

But then, I use my hp-p1 output optical to ibasso D12 with same cable, no problem.

Damn... is it the Optical Out of AK100 dead? OMG....

I am using the PB2 with the AK100 with no problem. Did you turn the D12 off and back on with the optical plugged in? This sometimes works if it doesn't get the signal at first.

Feb 23, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #2,792 of 9,165
In a busy food court, listening to a Bruch violin concerto through the RWAK100 > JH16s and I can say, despite my battery meter not working, this is the kind of truly portable experience I never imagined was possible

Feb 23, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #2,793 of 9,165
My battery indicator works now, it just takes a while to start showing any use in the battery indicator. I do wish it showed a percentage rather than the bar that is shown.

Feb 23, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #2,794 of 9,165
Btw, today I find that my AK100 optical out have "Red Light out" through my optical cable,
but the ibasso D12 seems got no signal.

But then, I use my hp-p1 output optical to ibasso D12 with same cable, no problem.

Damn... is it the Optical Out of AK100 dead? OMG....

Make sure you are plugging it into the right jack. The middle one is an optical in while the one on the the left side is a headphone jack AND optical line out.

I made that mistake myself.

Feb 23, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #2,795 of 9,165
Quote:
I'm sure other (rw)ak100 owners have noticed that there's a couple-second (I count about 5) lag when going from one folder to another, and a one second pause when going back or forward a track.  I can certainly live with it, but for such an expensive player, its definitely a flaw.

Does anyone know if its a hardware or software problem?  It would be nice if the lag could be fixed via firmware update.

From my experience this depends on the number of files within the folder, I keep most of music library in their respective album folders' and it only takes less than a second to jump between folders. A playlist for folders with many songs could be used as a temp solution although I agree its still a flaw for a high end media player. At first I tried browsing through albums after scanning, except when you go from albums to main album list directory there still is a slight delay. For reference I use 2x 32gb micro sd cards, you might experience more delay with bigger libraries.

Feb 23, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #2,796 of 9,165
I plugged into the left 3.5mm hole of AK100, but just no signal even with 320kbps mp3...
I just have no idea.
But for optical input to AK100, it still works...very weird... Orz...

Feb 23, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #2,797 of 9,165
Whew...I just finished reading most of this thread, from the OP on...  These "audiophile" DAP's usually make me giggle for some reason, but w/ iRiver throwing their hat into the ring, I kinda started paying attention.  I've been a hostage to the Apple ecosystem for so long, it's kind of hard for me to change, but now that this DAP supports ALAC, I'm seriously considering it...even to the point that I just sent Vinnie an emails asking if he's still selling the modded player directly.

Just curious about a couple things, if anyone has the associated gear that is:
--assuming I got the stock DAP, would there be any issues w/ using this w/ a 4G Headstage Arrow (i.e. given the AK100's 22 ohm output impedance)?
--again assuming the stock player, would IEM's like the ~95 ohm Earsonics SM64 (which I own) be a decent fit based purely on the specs?
--as I said, I've been an iToys user, so SD cards haven't been on my radar.  Would this be the card to get?---> http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-MicroSDXC-Memory-Adapter-SDSDQU-064G-AFFP-A/dp/B009QZH6JS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1WBCS8JLMISE1&coliid=ICMJUEP5P0GR1

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #2,798 of 9,165
feverfive,

Is that what you are asking about?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/630288/the-new-iriver-ak100-a-high-end-dap/2775#post_9193455

I have AK100 + Ibasso T5 / Pico Slim + Earsonics SM64 (with 2X Sandisk class 10 64GB micro Sd cards).

Vinnie of RWA mentioned:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/630288/the-new-iriver-ak100-a-high-end-dap/900#post_8961832

Feb 24, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #2,801 of 9,165
Hi again everybody

What an interesting link from jackrabbitslim, which lead me to following statement from RWA:

QUOTE---

Note that I put "line out" in quotes because you need to set the volume control to max because the volume control feeds data lines to the Wolfson dac chip - which sets attenuation from what I'm pretty sure is a 2Vrms max output voltage.  This max output level is only achieved with volume set to max (setting "75").  

So it makes sense that Ken at ALO and others have had success feeding the headphone output to their external headphone amplifiers - just set the volume to max and enjoy it!
---UNQUOTE

So if I understand correctly, if I'd find an amp similar to the one inside the AK100, by using this "line out" option and aforementioned external amp, I could simulate an RWAK100 on a stock AK100, right? So I could hear the difference between the two, if they're combined with my UE18 Pro, right? Now I'm wondering which of the following amps comes closest to the AK100 internal amp: Nuforce Icon / Icon 2 / Icon HDP / Icon iDO / Icon uDAC2, or rather FiiO Alpen E17 / Andes E07K / Olympus E10 / Kilimanjaro / Rocky E02i / Fujiyama E06

I'm asking so specifically bcs I guess I could try all/some of these at a store. 

Thanks in advance for any comments!

Feb 24, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #2,803 of 9,165
Although I haven't tried RWAK100,
I believe Fiio amp would be a great choice.
I have e11 & e17, they are kind of neutral in sound signature and they are not expansive at all.
So I think Fiio amp should be good for you to add to the AK100 to mimic the RWAK.

Feb 24, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #2,804 of 9,165
Screw it...gonna order a stock AK100 from ALO.  When I (finally) receive my 4G Arrow, I'll give it try via mini-to-mini cable.  If it's not up to snuff, I'll send it Vinnie so he can do his thing.

Feb 24, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #2,805 of 9,165
Quote:
Screw it...gonna order a stock AK100 from ALO.  When I (finally) receive my 4G Arrow, I'll give it try via mini-to-mini cable.  If it's not up to snuff, I'll send it Vinnie so he can do his thing.

You are still going to have the 22 ohm resistor in the signal path. Normally to amp, you want as low of an output impedance as possible since the AK100 will be acting like a preamp. 1 ohm or less into the amp unless you are going optical out to another dac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back