The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Jul 26, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #6,766 of 9,165
Aurisonic ASG-2 the closest you can get to a TG334 ! LOL 

funny, some people told Asg2 are different to SD3, some people told SD3 is more akin TG334, now you say ASG2 is TG334... :wink:

Jul 26, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #6,767 of 9,165
how in the world do i update this thing !?!?!? lol I put the Hex file in the system folder but nothing happened ??? on boot up it says its still on 1.30 not 2.10 ??? IS THE SYSTEM folder the root folder ? how do i find the root folder ?? thanks guys 
here have some AK100 rig pics LOL 

Root is NOT the system folder - and it is not a folder named "Root" either. It is simply the main directory of the drive. When you first click on the drive, you are opening the root directory. The System folder is IN the root directory. You just need to copy the hex file to the main directory of the ak's internal drive. In other words, just copy it onto the drive without putting it in any folder.

Jul 26, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #6,768 of 9,165
What he said...lol

Jul 26, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #6,769 of 9,165
Quote:
funny, some people told Asg2 are different to SD3, some people told SD3 is more akin TG334, now you say ASG2 is TG334... :wink:

well i have not tried the SD3 but Eke's review they are a good tier or two below the ASG-2 sooo...., plus the bass of the SD3 is actually much more "present" than the ASG-2s bass , i am waiting for carlsan's comparison he got the SD3 first then sent it out to eke for testing and got his ASG-2 not long after he sent them out, judging from his initial impressions..looks like the SD3 may have to have its price reduced if it want to compete against the ASG-2...

Quote from Eke2K6 review of the SD3 to the ASG-2 

As for the sound, this is really one unique phone(SD3). I looked into the specs after hearing the phone, and I didn't doubt them at all.

This is one of those cases where the drivers used can tell you how the phone will sound. It's not so much that the bass is terribly emphasized, it's just that the sound is tilted heavily towards that region. It lends to a very warm and thick sound. Though the soundstage is fairly large, the center stage feels quite congested because the mids and bass seem to be fighting for the same space. There is plenty of bleed, and the mids can often stand behind the bass. The treble has just enough presence to avoid being called absent. I also find the timbre of some instruments and, like the electric guitar and snare, to be thrown off by this tonality. Some vocals also come off as a bit stuffy.

Tuning aside, the technicalities are pretty good. Detail retrieval is there, imaging is there, it just sounds really clouded. It's almost like someone tried to copy the FitEar 334, but took a few wrong turns somewhere along the way.

I think the sound could be greatly helped by a few, well-placed strokes of EQ. In fact, I really want to use the same one I used on my ASG-1.2, but I don't have access to my computer anymore.

Now, vs the ASG-2...

Compared to the SD3, the ASG-2 is immediately much clearer in the mids, and the bass is a good deal more controlled. It's also more extended in the bass and treble. The key difference here is just how much more air there is to the sound. The lower mids of the ASG-2 are a step back, and the more linear FR allows for so much more space for the sound cues to dance. Vocals are more holographic, the bass is deeper, with a lot more texture (Party Rock Anthem is a good test for this), and the signature is faster overall. 
Conclusion

Now, despite how negatively I may have spoken of the SD3, I think it's a good performing phone. I may even venture to say that it's actually be priced accordingly, given the crazy prices of TOTL iems nowadays. It's just that the ASG-2 is that much better. Still, the SD3 has a very distinct flavor to it that may or may not be to your liking. I can personally appreciate it, but I feel like the ASG-2 is a much better option, especially when you take their similar prices into consideration.

Carlsan will have his pair back soon, so he'll be able to do his own comparison."

( this second comparison of the ASG-2 VS TG334 )

Starting with Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah on the TG334 is simply haunting. The sound is unmistakably colored, but it's such a natural sounding effect. Jeff's voice and guitar lovingly caress you through the warmth, and resolution is simply top notch. I switch over to the the ASG-2 and hit play, then promptly walk to my bathroom mirror to make sure I'm not still wearing the TG334. WOW! The phones are so close in technical ability and signature that it would take a seasoned ear to listen out for the differences. As I scrape my jaw off the floor, I start to listen more closely for differences. In that light, please take into consideration that the differences I am about to describe are within roughly 5%, 10% at the most. Definitely noticeable, but require closer listening and potentially higher volumes. 

Jul 26, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #6,770 of 9,165
Quote:
Root is NOT the system folder - and it is not a folder named "Root" either. It is simply the main directory of the drive. When you first click on the drive, you are opening the root directory. The System folder is IN the root directory. You just need to copy the hex file to the main directory of the ak's internal drive. In other words, just copy it onto the drive without putting it in any folder.

yep i just used the iriver plus 4 to update LOL 
in anycase i already opened the Ak100 up and i am attemping my own RWAK100 mod...i got my silver solder and prepared the Ak100 for surgery in the electronics lab hahaha which me luck...

Jul 27, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #6,771 of 9,165
Aurisonic ASG-2 the closest you can get to a TG334 ! LOL 

Em... I would say they are actually very different. The closest to a TG334 would be the Parterre. And the W4R would also be closer to TG334 than ASG2. ASG2 is closest to IE800 IMHO.

Jul 27, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #6,772 of 9,165
Quote:
Em... I would say they are actually very different. The closest to a TG334 would be the Parterre. And the W4R would also be closer to TG334 than ASG2. ASG2 is closest to IE800 IMHO.

So if I hate IE800's horrible fit and lack of isolation as well as strange cable, ASG2 can be a good alternative?

Jul 27, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #6,773 of 9,165
So if I hate IE800's horrible fit and lack of isolation as well as strange cable, ASG2 can be a good alternative?

Yup it could make a good choice. I find asg2 more resolving but various instruments sounded more accurate on IE800.

Jul 27, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #6,774 of 9,165
Quote:
Yup it could make a good choice. I find asg2 more resolving but various instruments sounded more accurate on IE800.

I demoed IE800, man it sounds beautiful with a lot of bass both rumble and quality. Usually I am not into that much bass but that got me into it, I loved it. Then I hated it because of the fit, cable system and lack of isolation. Could be good for home use but def. not for on to go where you need isolation and tight fit.

Jul 28, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #6,775 of 9,165
Just upgraded from 2.01  to 2.10 on my RWAK100 and instantly didn't like the change in sound that I heard when paired with IE800's (didn't try other pairings yet).  Highs seemed overly emphasized?  Just initial impressions though - I'd like to play around with it some more when I get the time.

Is it worth the upgrade from listrid 2.0? My main concern is the sound quality

Last night I download new firmware 2.10 for upgrade from my listrid firmware 2.00

After I heard 1 song I returned to Listrid 2.00

SQ from new fw 2.10 :
Overall less impact , less power ,less body in all frequencies
Like somebody doing gym without energy drink :D

High : less detail and full sounding high
Mid : so mellow
Bass : less impact and bass body , the bass can not like listrid very low and deep.and better
Speed
Separation : on par
Soundstage : feel wider but less depth
Clarity : less compare to listrid fw 2.00

I hope IRiver done for AK 100 like AK 120 fw 1.32 , SQ excellent

This is my IMO

Jul 28, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #6,776 of 9,165
Quote:
Last night I download new firmware 2.10 for upgrade from my listrid firmware 2.00

After I heard 1 song I returned to Listrid 2.00

SQ from new fw 2.10 :
Overall less impact , less power ,less body in all frequencies
Like somebody doing gym without energy drink
biggrin.gif

High : less detail and full sounding high
Mid : so mellow
Bass : less impact and bass body , the bass can not like listrid very low and deep.and better
Speed
Separation : on par
Soundstage : feel wider but less depth
Clarity : less compare to listrid fw 2.00

I hope IRiver done for AK 100 like AK 120 fw 1.32 , SQ excellent

This is my IMO

Damn! Rudi you make the new fw sound like ****. For now i'm sticking to listrid 2.0, Can't wait for 3.0 to come out :/

Jul 28, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #6,779 of 9,165
Quote:

Well to each his own eh ? i guess different ears hear differently ??? LOL
BUuuuuuut Anyway

... as you guys know i only just got the Ak100 ... but im hearing this word recnetly from this thread listrid 2.0 ? is that a 3rd party Firmware for the ak100 ? does it have the same installation yas normal firmware from iriver ? and if so how do i get my hands on it ! Thanks again , 

Jul 28, 2013 at 4:32 AM Post #6,780 of 9,165
Quote:
Well to each his own eh ? i guess different ears hear differently ??? LOL
BUuuuuuut Anyway

... as you guys know i only just got the Ak100 ... but im hearing this word recnetly from this thread listrid 2.0 ? is that a 3rd party Firmware for the ak100 ? does it have the same installation yas normal firmware from iriver ? and if so how do i get my hands on it ! Thanks again , 

http://dropbox.com/sh/tft1ydwrdbk9dh2/uF3du-7MCR/Listrid%20patch%202

just install it over your firmware by unzipping and placing the hex file in the root folder of your ak100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back