The new IEM of Vsonic VSD 3S ( impression updated by smailbz)
Jan 19, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #4,201 of 4,956
One thing that has been bothering me about the VSD3S is that the highs are a bit harsh.  Does this get tamed after burn-in or should I just move on to another IEM?  I had the same issues with VSD1 which I sold already.

Everything else sounds great, I love the isolation and how it fits into my ears, and the bass/sub-bass are very nice.  Mids are good, not spectacular but good enough and the soundstage is good as well.  The highs are what bothers me about these, if they can be tamed I'll kept them.  If not I'm putting them up for sale.

Jan 19, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #4,202 of 4,956
One thing that has been bothering me about the VSD3S is that the highs are a bit harsh.  Does this get tamed after burn-in or should I just move on to another IEM?  I had the same issues with VSD1 which I sold already.

Everything else sounds great, I love the isolation and how it fits into my ears, and the bass/sub-bass are very nice.  Mids are good, not spectacular but good enough and the soundstage is good as well.  The highs are what bothers me about these, if they can be tamed I'll kept them.  If not I'm putting them up for sale.

Sell them and get the VSD3(no s). Problem solved. You get all the same pluses without the apparently harsh treble.

Jan 19, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #4,203 of 4,956

Because low frequency notes are omnidirectional, they don't provide much information about instruments overall separation, but high frequencies do, and headphones' manufacturers tend to emphasize those in order to provide more sonic information to the listener. At first I had the same opinion, I think I got used to.    

Jan 19, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #4,204 of 4,956
Actually got VSD3S as a gift so I'd most likely sell if it can't improve.  Was never a big fan of the V-shaped sound signature of the VSD1 (and subsequently, the VSD3S) although I do like everything else about it.

I was just hoping the harshness has a chance to improve with burn-in as I'd like to keep them as a spare.

Jan 20, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #4,205 of 4,956
Sell them and get the VSD3(no s). Problem solved. You get all the same pluses without the apparently harsh treble.

Actually got VSD3S as a gift so I'd most likely sell if it can't improve.  Was never a big fan of the V-shaped sound signature of the VSD1 (and subsequently, the VSD3S) although I do like everything else about it.

I was just hoping the harshness has a chance to improve with burn-in as I'd like to keep them as a spare.

I have the VSD3 (not S). Are you saying that these are the balanced version and the VSD3S is the V-shaped version?
For the VSD1, the S is the balanced and the non-S is the V-shaped. I have all versions of the 1's...

I am liking the VSD3 sound after 50 hours of burn in. Bass is enhanced and everything else sounds great. (I also put in the VSonic hybrid tips that came with my GR07BE.

I wonder if the reason is that the non-detachable version uses the improved silver coated cables, improving the sound.

If you can find a hybrid tip that fits the nozzle, or the get the cable, it may reduce the problem.

Jan 20, 2015 at 5:57 AM Post #4,206 of 4,956
I have the VSD3 (not S). Are you saying that these are the balanced version and the VSD3S is the V-shaped version?
For the VSD1, the S is the balanced and the non-S is the V-shaped. I have all versions of the 1's...

I am liking the VSD3 sound after 50 hours of burn in. Bass is enhanced and everything else sounds great. (I also put in the VSonic hybrid tips that came with my GR07BE.

I wonder if the reason is that the non-detachable version uses the improved silver coated cables, improving the sound.

If you can find a hybrid tip that fits the nozzle, or the get the cable, it may reduce the problem.

I'm not saying that they are the balanced version, just that they don't have the harshness up top that the VSD3s do. They have really smooth treble, especially when comparing to stuff like the JVC FXT90/FX3X/ClarityOne EB110 and other similar phones.

Jan 20, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #4,207 of 4,956

Same exact problem. Moving to the foam tips helped calm the highs a lot and brought out the mids more. Now they sound excellent as opposed to before where I really didn't like the harshness and decay of the treble.
Just make sure you're getting a really good seal.

Jan 20, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #4,208 of 4,956
Never thought to try the foam tips because they never worked for me with other iems, but I will definitely give that a try tonight.  Thanks for the advice!

Jan 25, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #4,211 of 4,956
Hey guys, after using the included medium tips up till now, I've decided to switch to different tips from the included pouch. I've been trying on the foam tips and need some help with putting them on lol..do you guys squeeze them before you insert your ear? They seem to sometimes just pop right out of my ear. Also I've read that foam tips need to be replaced..?

Jan 25, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #4,212 of 4,956
Squeeze / roll one tip, insert into your ear canal, hold it there for a few seconds while it expands, and repeat on the other side.

If they pop out consistently after this process, they might be the wrong size for your ear canals.

The foam loses its ability to compress / expand after awhile, so yes you would need to replace from time to time.

Jan 25, 2015 at 2:30 AM Post #4,213 of 4,956
Hey guys, after using the included medium tips up till now, I've decided to switch to different tips from the included pouch. I've been trying on the foam tips and need some help with putting them on lol..do you guys squeeze them before you insert your ear? They seem to sometimes just pop right out of my ear. Also I've read that foam tips need to be replaced..?

The supplied foanies are of not on par with complys......these expands quickly before you actually compress and shove-in......and the wearing process is same as what @nmatheis explained......I found the bi-flanges are best along with the M tips(stocks).....

Last week while tip rolling with my collections,I found the re400(wterline) 's stock hobbit bi-flanges perfectly, did the job on isolation and fit, to my gr07 CEs and yet to try on these (vsd3S).....and so did those tips same justice to my TF10s and my muzx606.....hfman did design those tips for this reason and achieved it,imo......giv a shot if you have those.

Jan 25, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #4,215 of 4,956
I recently did tip rolling on the VSD3 with my limited supplies and settled with Sony hybrids for best comfort and sound. Since my left ear canal is smaller than my right, I have the orange stem on left and green stem for the right.
The Sony hybrids retains the bass (to a slightly lesser degree than stock) and tames the treble so it's still lively but nowhere near sibilant. The result also makes the mids less recessed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back