The new IEM of Vsonic VSD 3S ( impression updated by smailbz)
Jul 21, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #2,146 of 4,956
@twister6: I've got VSD3S and echo your bass impressions - rounded / slow. I get good impact with single bass drum hits, but when they really get going it gets muddied. Sub-bass performance isn't there, either. Never heard the IM50 but am curious how the rest of the IM50'sound sig compares. Maybe you could provide a quick shootout for VSD3(S) vs IM50?

Already did a quick VSD3S vs IM50 comparison about a week ago: http://www.head-fi.org/t/669510/the-new-iem-of-vsonic-vsd-3s-impression-updated-by-smailbz/1905#post_10706898

Jul 21, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #2,147 of 4,956

Thanks, man!

Ok. Just got a chance to listen to VSD3 and gave a quick listen to VSD3S and MA750 through my DX90. Listened to a few songs from Iron Maiden's Seventh Son and Senking's Chainsawfish albums.

VSD3 definitely has more bass presence and extension and a bit more mids than VSD3S. Sounds fuller and seems to have better soundstage. MA750 has better bass extension but doesn't have as much mids as either, which makes it sound thinner but with more soundstage.

Whereas VSD3S didn't make my cut for Senking (my test for music with a lot of sub-bass), VSD3 and MA750 do but VSD3 sound better to me due to full, warm sound in comparison to MA750. I also like VSD3 best for Iron Maiden but all three are fine.

Surprising problems with VSD3:
1. Can't get a good seal with stock L tips even though they work just fine with VSD3S. Get a low-level click/pop as seal breaks when I move my head. Tried adjusting fit and reinserting several times with no luck. Tried swapping L tips between VSD3 and VSD3S without any luck.
2. Get some discomfort in right outer ear as where shell rests. Don't have that issue with VSD3S.
Can't figure out why I'm having these issues when the shells appear to be virtually identical. Any ideas?

Which do I think I'd listen to more at this point? VSD3.

Jul 21, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #2,148 of 4,956
Thanks, man!

Ok. Just got a chance to listen to VSD3 and gave a quick listen to VSD3S and MA750 through my DX90. Listened to a few songs from Iron Maiden's Seventh Son and Senking's Chainsawfish albums.

VSD3 definitely has more bass presence and extension and a bit more mids than VSD3S. Sounds fuller and seems to have better soundstage. MA750 has better bass extension but doesn't have as much mids as either, which makes it sound thinner but with more soundstage.

Whereas VSD3S didn't make my cut for Senking (my test for music with a lot of sub-bass), VSD3 and MA750 do but VSD3 sound better to me due to full, warm sound in comparison to MA750. I also like VSD3 best for Iron Maiden but all three are fine.

Surprising problems with VSD3:
1. Can't get a good seal with stock L tips even though they work just fine with VSD3S. Get a low-level click/pop as seal breaks when I move my head. Tried adjusting fit and reinserting several times with no luck. Tried swapping L tips between VSD3 and VSD3S without any luck.
2. Get some discomfort in right outer ear as where shell rests. Don't have that issue with VSD3S.
Can't figure out why I'm having these issues when the shells appear to be virtually identical. Any ideas?

Which do I think I'd listen to more at this point? VSD3.

You can try out the UE tips. Fits well and SQ is slightly better than with vsonic stock tips.

Jul 21, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #2,150 of 4,956
Jul 21, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #2,151 of 4,956
I can reliably reproduce the click/pop noise when I move my left ear up and down, blink my left eye, or open/close my mouth. Any of these movements reliably reproduces the noise in my left earpiece with stock bi-flange, M, and L tips and with Comply tips. The right earpiece never makes this click/pop noise. Is this driver flex? Thinking of asking LMUE for a replacement, as it's pretty annoying to have to hold my face completely still to keep the noise from happening.

Jul 22, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #2,152 of 4,956
I can reliably reproduce the click/pop noise when I move my left ear up and down, blink my left eye, or open/close my mouth. Any of these movements reliably reproduces the noise in my left earpiece with stock bi-flange, M, and L tips and with Comply tips. The right earpiece never makes this click/pop noise. Is this driver flex? Thinking of asking LMUE for a replacement, as it's pretty annoying to have to hold my face completely still to keep the noise from happening.

I know what you mean about the click/pop noise. I experienced that too, but only when I used the guide ear hook things, so I guess it's the cable being dragged too much? I only get pop/click noises with the earhooks so I just don't use them.

Jul 22, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #2,153 of 4,956
I know what you mean about the click/pop noise. I experienced that too, but only when I used the guide ear hook things, so I guess it's the cable being dragged too much? I only get pop/click noises with the earhooks so I just don't use them.

both ears to you? Or one particular?....

Jul 22, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #2,155 of 4,956
I only experience this in the left earpiece. Haven't tried the ear guides, so that isn't my problem. Haven't experienced this with any other IEM out of the 20 or so I've had including VSD3S.

Try un-plugging the cable and plug it back....if not tried already.

Jul 22, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #2,157 of 4,956
Shawn71: I removed and reattached the cable earlier, but it didn't help. Now the left cable is attached so tightly, I can't get it off otherwise I was going to try switching cables to see if the click/pop followed the cable or earpiece.

Sure....that is way better to conclude,imo.

Jul 22, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #2,159 of 4,956
And one more point to add abt driver flex......it is more evident when you shove-in the earpiece into the ear canal.....cld it be the driver(left) not dampened/bonded properly inside the housing?

Jul 22, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #2,160 of 4,956
I don't notice any difference in frequency or volume of clicks/pops with tip change. With any of the 4 tips I've tried so far, it happens any time I open/close my mouth, move my ear, or blink just my left eye. However if I break the seal in the left earpiece, the click/pop stops. So it seems dependent on seal.

I think I'll email LMUE and see what they have to say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back