The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
May 10, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #2,567 of 28,989
Sorry if that was asked before, but do you get certificate with chart in mail or just pdf via email. I got the latter not sure if the paper version is coming or not.
confused.gif

May 10, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #2,569 of 28,989
I just spent the past few days going through this thread.  Like some, I dismissed the HD800 as lifeless and lacking in bass.  There was a HeadFi meet last week in Toronto and I had a chance to audition the HD800 through my Bifrost/Lyr.  I was totally blown away. Smooth as silk, great bass and sweet, sweet mids and highs. It just sounded right to me.

I currently have the HD700 and HE500.  Believe it or not, there was more bass out of the HD700 but it was more controlled and tighter on the HD800.  They both just smoked the HE500 for bass.  After spending some time with the HD800, the treble peak on the HD700 became more  apparent and even in the short time I auditioned the HD800, I realized that this is where I want to go. After hearing the HD800, the HD700 are starting to grate on me.

So, at this point, both my HD700 and HE500 are up for sale.  I'm thinking I may still want to keep the HE500 but in the end, I really think I'm a one headphone kind of guy. Plus, if I sell both, that should cover the cost of the HD800 and I come out even. I'll see how the sales go.

Now, my current dilemma.  I was really pleased with the sound of the HD800 out of my Schiit stack. Running Amperex Orange Globes in the Lyr and also have the Amperex PQ amongst other tubes. I have the Bifrost Uber board coming in so that should ramp up my source for a while.  What I've read so far is that a lot of people are not so impressed with the HD800 and the Bifrost/Lyr.  For the foreseeable near future, this is what I'll have to live with.  On the other hand, I have a DLIII in my main AV system that I could use. I'm also considering the Woo WA7 down the road but another option would be to use my DLIII (optical in from a MacMini) and go the V200 route. 

In the short term, I'm pretty sure that I'll be joining the HD800 crowd.  I simply like the Sennheiser house sound. Been through the HD600, HD650 and now the HD700. Would the Schiit stack be an OK starting point?  I really can't see myself spending $2K+ upgrading my source/amp but utilizing what I have and moving some stuff around,  I can see myself investing another $1K down the road.
Lots to consider. Thoughts?

May 10, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #2,570 of 28,989
Quote:
I just spent the past few days going through this thread.  Like some, I dismissed the HD800 as lifeless and lacking in bass.  There was a HeadFi meet last week in Toronto and I had a chance to audition the HD800 through my Bifrost/Lyr.  I was totally blown away. Smooth as silk, great bass and sweet, sweet mids and highs. It just sounded right to me.

I currently have the HD700 and HE500.  Believe it or not, there was more bass out of the HD700 but it was more controlled and tighter on the HD800.  They both just smoked the HE500 for bass.  After spending some time with the HD800, the treble peak on the HD700 became more  apparent and even in the short time I auditioned the HD800, I realized that this is where I want to go. After hearing the HD800, the HD700 are starting to grate on me.

So, at this point, both my HD700 and HE500 are up for sale.  I'm thinking I may still want to keep the HE500 but in the end, I really think I'm a one headphone kind of guy. Plus, if I sell both, that should cover the cost of the HD800 and I come out even. I'll see how the sales go.

Now, my current dilemma.  I was really pleased with the sound of the HD800 out of my Schiit stack. Running Amperex Orange Globes in the Lyr and also have the Amperex PQ amongst other tubes. I have the Bifrost Uber board coming in so that should ramp up my source for a while.  What I've read so far is that a lot of people are not so impressed with the HD800 and the Bifrost/Lyr.  For the foreseeable near future, this is what I'll have to live with.  On the other hand, I have a DLIII in my main AV system that I could use. I'm also considering the Woo WA7 down the road but another option would be to use my DLIII (optical in from a MacMini) and go the V200 route. 

In the short term, I'm pretty sure that I'll be joining the HD800 crowd.  I simply like the Sennheiser house sound. Been through the HD600, HD650 and now the HD700. Would the Schiit stack be an OK starting point?  I really can't see myself spending $2K+ upgrading my source/amp but utilizing what I have and moving some stuff around,  I can see myself investing another $1K down the road.

If the sound of the HD800 through your current rig is what made you want it in the first place, why not just stay with the rig you have?  There's no guarantee than anything different will sound any better you than your current set up.  Keep the amp and upgrade your source if you are itching to do something new.  But if you found an amp that synergizes well with the HD800, stick with it.  I guess it is anathema on boards like this to advise NOT to upgrade or change things.  But I think you should always stick with what you like.  Especially if the HD800 was a revelation on your very own rig...  Seems like a perfect situation to me. 

May 11, 2013 at 3:50 AM Post #2,572 of 28,989
Quote:

If the sound of the HD800 through your current rig is what made you want it in the first place, why not just stay with the rig you have?  There's no guarantee than anything different will sound any better you than your current set up.  Keep the amp and upgrade your source if you are itching to do something new.  But if you found an amp that synergizes well with the HD800, stick with it.  I guess it is anathema on boards like this to advise NOT to upgrade or change things.  But I think you should always stick with what you like.  Especially if the HD800 was a revelation on your very own rig...  Seems like a perfect situation to me. 

+1

also amperex orange globes are really nice tubes 
tongue_smile.gif

May 11, 2013 at 4:24 AM Post #2,573 of 28,989
Quote:
looks like there is a pair of hd800's going for less than 700 euro on the sale forum - madness!

On a serious note, here we have second-second-hand phones that cost 950€ new in the EU (yes some stores quote 1200€ or some other crazy price, that's not real and you should look further). 70-80% for second hand is fair, anything else is usually just a ripoff. Of course there always might be some desperate people..

May 11, 2013 at 4:35 AM Post #2,574 of 28,989
I had the Bifrost/Lyr stack with the HD800 for some weeks before upgrading. The Lyr really stifles the HD800's resolve but it is enjoyable and dynamic. The Orange Globes added some heft at the expense of clarity. It was too much. The 60's Bugle Boys had the same bottom end rendition with good separation between elements. I didn't really appreciate these tubes with the HD650 or LCD-2. The HD800 revealed how good they truly were. Much better than the over hyped Lorenz Stuttgarts I also had on hand.

May 11, 2013 at 6:29 AM Post #2,575 of 28,989
Quote:

Good stuff. Yeah I think your HE500's may gather quite a bit of dust once you get the HD800's. I've always had at least two phones on the go at any one time. Always one for classical and another for jazz electronic etc. But since getting the Senn's I'm not left wanting anything else headphone wise. They are the ultimate all-rounder imo. I bought them originally for classical, but jazz, ambient (brilliant with good electronic music) all sound fantastic. 

I had read many times that the HD800's would only sound good if the recording was top notch. But this has not been the case with me. They have an almost orthos like quality in smoothing out bad recordings without missing a single nuance. All dynamics that I've owned prior to these had the inherent grain issues in the treble. There is none with the Senn's. Smooth as a young ladies a*se. Or breasts for that matter.. 

May 11, 2013 at 6:46 AM Post #2,576 of 28,989
The HD800's are a good all rounder with some tube amp's. More so when compared to the solid states out there which now and then will be suited for a few genres instead. Unless you're powering the 800's off a vintage integrated amp with bass/treble dials to adjust to whatever you want.

May 11, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #2,577 of 28,989
HD800's and Dynalo-Dynahi user's out there. Is there no better?

May 11, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #2,578 of 28,989
I like the HD800's with Bottlehead Crack /  Speedball.  Also good with my Beta 22.

The HD800's are the only 'phones I've heard that offer transparency that approaches the better electrostatics, while delivering more bass impact than electrostatics. Look at Purrin's waterfall plots- the HD800's are as clean in time-domain behavior as electrostatics-  EXCEPT for the ringing at that darn treble peak they have. 

That's the one flaw that I really struggle with.  And it's not just a response peak- the HD800's store energy and ring it back at about 6 kHz and a little bit at 12 kHz too.  You can't eliminate that with EQ or a particualr amp's treble roll-off.  The Anax mod ameliorates this behavior to a degree, but it's still the flaw that keeps them from being near perfect.  That's why it annoys! They're almost perfect but....

Most (all?) other dynamic, and planar, headphones have many more flaws; the HD800 is nearly without flaws-  which, in a way, magnifies their treble 'issues' - it they had more distortion, rang all over the place, and so on, you'd never single out their treble issues.  But because they're otherwise SOOOO GOOD the treble issues kind of stand out like sore thumbs. It's kind of like the (USA) Liberty Bell.  If the Liberty Bell were beat to hell, painted with graffiti and had a few holes in it, you wouldn't find a slight crack in one edge to be very noticeable.  But because the bell is in very good shape ASIDE from that one crack, then that single flaw becomes the main thing the bell is noted for.

Purrin waterfall plot of HD800 (Anax mod)

May 11, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #2,579 of 28,989
Not sure you are using the right word.  Ringing presents itself like this...

The HD800 has no ringing.  Evident in it's various plots.   The HD800 has even less ringing than the SR009.

May 11, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #2,580 of 28,989
I guess you can mask the treble 5-6k peak by powering the 800's off a good vintage integrated amp with headphone out control adjustments via the bass/treble dials? I'm doing this so far out of a Marantz PM-32 and blows all the other amp's I've tried, besting even my modded b22. The downsight is the amp is big and kind of ugly and not in it's best condition.

@Solude, would you say the ringing from the LCD3 could be an issue due to resonance off the grills?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back