The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Apr 21, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #2,042 of 28,989
Quote:
Isn't this supposed to be an HD800 thread?

A few posts not about the HD800 and you're whining. 
rolleyes.gif

Apr 21, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #2,044 of 28,989
Quote:
Quote:
No, just no.  The Meturm has no rolloff.  Where the Metrum and PWD2 really smoked the W4S was in top extension and tonal balance.  The W4S is a dark source dry source, the Metrum has great tonal balance and the PWD2 keeps that balance but is also butter smooth.  Which might be what MH feels is an overriding colour where I just hear it as completely etch free, the so called analog sound.  And yes it is a monster =)

Quote:
The Metrum is one of the least colored and most neutral DAC's I've heard to date. It is not a dark sounding DAC, but neither is it a bright sounding one. It has exceptional transparency but may sound dry (especially if you're already using a headphone like the HD800), so I like to warm it up and give it some more body in bass by pairing it with April Music's Stello U3. IMO, most April Music gears I've listened to tend to sound somewhat dark, which is why I like them.

From the size and look alone, seems like i have to have this metrum. But maybe after i buy the koss esp950 first.

The guys at HiFi Heaven in Green Bay are the national dealer for Metrum. Great people to work with. I got my HD800's from them...Hmmm, I got my HD650's from them too! They are also an Audeze dealer. I have seen the Metrum's in stock including the Hex there. Good Web site too. www.hifiheaven.net. They do take trades ins as well....

Apr 21, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #2,045 of 28,989
Hello guys!

I will have my first HD800 on monday!

And i wonder one thing, is it able to disassemble the 6.3mm jack plug on the hd800 cable? 

Why i wonder is I have plans to put a 4pin xlr on it instead of the 6.3mm plug, because i also getting a hdvd800 on monday.

Is this possible without cut the cable right off?

Apr 21, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #2,047 of 28,989
Quote:
A few posts not about the HD800 and you're whining. 
rolleyes.gif

Yup. Time's short, why waste it wading through a load of posts that don't seem to have a direct relevance with the HD800?
Quote:

Last I heard the HD800 isn't worth much without a source and amp :p

Sure, if you're discussing their performance in the context of the HD800 then I'd be very interested to read your impressions. If not then there's probably a thread elsewhere that's more appropriate.

Apr 22, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #2,048 of 28,989
Planning to get a pair of HD800's in May. From what everyone has been saying, the best thing would be to go with a Colorware right from the beginning.

Found this picture of an all black (matte, I believe?) on the Colorware website gallery and think it's drool worthy
biggrin.gif

Most likely would go all matte black, but if I were to go for some different color, I would still be going all black and only get the ring around the mesh part a different color.... maybe yellow or red? What do you guys think? Heh.

My first headphones were the K702 Anniversaries which I returned due to a rattling issue in one of the earcups. Figured now that I have some more money saved up, I would go for a flagship instead. I currently have the FiiO E9K/E17 combo for an amp and DAC and would be running that with the HD800's until I can get a tube amp (most likely the Woo Audio WA7 because it looks super sexy and from what I've been reading, pairs well with the 800's.

Apr 22, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #2,049 of 28,989
The black is cool. I also like the Black and White ones that looked like Stormtroopers!

Apr 22, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #2,050 of 28,989
I recently attended a meet this weekend where I got to try my HD800 with a few other amps to include the Violectric V200, Burson Soloist SL, and a custom one off boutique tube amp.  It was a good experience to put in perspective the performance of my current amp.

That being said, I was quite shocked by the synergy of the junior Burson amp with the HD800.  I had initially listened to it to get an idea of the Burson house sound but still expected my current amp to readily stomp all over it.  This was not the case however.  The Soloist SL just had a far more organic and natural sound.  It gave the HD800 a certain wholeness across the frequency range and also pulled off something else which really surprised me.  

If anyone recalls some of my previous posts about how I prefer using crossfeed DSP, with the Soloist SL, I actually thought it sounded better without the crossfeed enabled.  The Burson pulled off a very accurate and convincing soundstage with no apparent fatiguing over separation.  It wasn't the most expansive or out of head I've ever heard but it just felt extremely right.  In contrast, the boutique $4k-ish tube amp threw out a holographic out of head soundstage that was unreal (literally) but felt it may have been almost too airy and ethereal for all genres of music.  The Burson just sounded right with everything I threw at it.  Needless to say I now feel the need to buy the full size Soloist to see what I'm missing but I may have to sell my Nuwave DAC to afford it.

My SA-31 sounded pretty phenomenal with the LCD-3 which doesn't surprise me.  It's a very spacious sounding amp which I think benefits the Audeze house sound.  I think with the HD800 it's just too distant sounding on some tracks and the Soloist SL really added some nice midrange intimacy and midbass punch.

Ironically, I originally planned to buy the Soloist earlier but bought the Nuwave instead because I thought the Soloist would be a lateral move from my current amp.  Boy, was I wrong.  And I listened to it AFTER the V200.  The V200 also had an excellent synergy with the HD800 and I also liked it more than my current amp with the HD800.  It was silky smooth sounding and had a certain "boogie" factor to it.  Ultimately I preferred the Burson's synergy with the HD800.  I got to listen to both the Soloist SL and V200 on my own source/DAC to eliminate variables.  Even the guy with the megabuck tube amp was rather impressed and surprised by the Burson.

I also got to listen to my HD800 on a Mjolnir/Gungnir with Wavelegth Proton USB converter. The Schiit Stack seemed a little too aggressive and forward for my taste.  And also WA22 with Yamaha A-S2000 SACD Player; Both balanced.  I preferred V200 and Soloist to both but they weren't with my source gear and music for better evaluation.  Unfortunately the person with the Apex Peak/Volcano didn't make the meet so I didn't get to listen to it.  The WA22 was exceptionally clean sounding but something about the sound just didn't really grab me like the others with the HD800.

So in conclusion, the Soloist SL was the star of the show for me and whoever was asking about if it's sufficient to drive HD800, worry not, it drives it just fine and with excellent synergy.  And that volume pot is buttery smooth and easy to dial in very minute adjustments.  I really can't wait to get my hands on the full size soloist now.  Though I'm still weary of minute adjustment with stepped attenuator.

Apr 22, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #2,051 of 28,989

I recently attended a meet this weekend where I got to try my HD800 with a few other amps to include the Violectric V200, Burson Soloist SL, and a custom one off boutique tube amp.  It was a good experience to put in perspective the performance of my current amp.

That being said, I was quite shocked by the synergy of the junior Burson amp with the HD800.  I had initially listened to it to get an idea of the Burson house sound but still expected my current amp to readily stomp all over it.  This was not the case however.  The Soloist SL just had a far more organic and natural sound.  It gave the HD800 a certain wholeness across the frequency range and also pulled off something else which really surprised me.  

If anyone recalls some of my previous posts about how I prefer using crossfeed DSP, with the Soloist SL, I actually thought it sounded better without the crossfeed enabled.  The Burson pulled off a very accurate and convincing soundstage with no apparent fatiguing over separation.  It wasn't the most expansive or out of head I've ever heard but it just felt extremely right.  In contrast, the boutique $4k-ish tube amp threw out a holographic out of head soundstage that was unreal (literally) but felt it may have been almost too airy and ethereal for all genres of music.  The Burson just sounded right with everything I threw at it.  Needless to say I now feel the need to buy the full size Soloist to see what I'm missing but I may have to sell my Nuwave DAC to afford it.

My SA-31 sounded pretty phenomenal with the LCD-3 which doesn't surprise me.  It's a very spacious sounding amp which I think benefits the Audeze house sound.  I think with the HD800 it's just too distant sounding on some tracks and the Soloist SL really added some nice midrange intimacy and midbass punch.

Ironically, I originally planned to buy the Soloist earlier but bought the Nuwave instead because I thought the Soloist would be a lateral move from my current amp.  Boy, was I wrong.  And I listened to it AFTER the V200.  The V200 also had an excellent synergy with the HD800 and I also liked it more than my current amp with the HD800.  It was silky smooth sounding and had a certain "boogie" factor to it.  Ultimately I preferred the Burson's synergy with the HD800.  I got to listen to both the Soloist SL and V200 on my own source/DAC to eliminate variables.  Even the guy with the megabuck tube amp was rather impressed and surprised by the Burson.

I also got to listen to my HD800 on a Mjolnir/Gungnir with Wavelegth Proton USB converter. The Schiit Stack seemed a little too aggressive and forward for my taste.  And also WA22 with Yamaha A-S2000 SACD Player; Both balanced.  I preferred V200 and Soloist to both but they weren't with my source gear and music for better evaluation.  Unfortunately the person with the Apex Peak/Volcano didn't make the meet so I didn't get to listen to it.  The WA22 was exceptionally clean sounding but something about the sound just didn't really grab me like the others with the HD800.

So in conclusion, the Soloist SL was the star of the show for me and whoever was asking about if it's sufficient to drive HD800, worry not, it drives it just fine and with excellent synergy.  And that volume pot is buttery smooth and easy to dial in very minute adjustments.  I really can't wait to get my hands on the full size soloist now.  Though I'm still weary of minute adjustment with stepped attenuator.

how was the soundstage on the WA22? i'm trying to get an amp with that really holographic soundstage/air you mentioned for my HD 800, while still maintaining musically and deep bass. i feel this is where my WA6-SE/WA2 are lacking (though the WA6-SE sounds close). also they could use a bit more clarity i think

Apr 22, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #2,053 of 28,989
Quote:

how was the soundstage on the WA22? i'm trying to get an amp with that really holographic soundstage/air you mentioned for my HD 800, while still maintaining musically and deep bass. i feel this is where my WA6-SE/WA2 are lacking (though the WA6-SE sounds close). also they could use a bit more clarity i think

I felt it to be very spacious and similar to my SA-31 which may be why it didn't engage me as much as the more intimate solid state amps.  But it didn't quite have the same out of head/holographic effect of that boutique tube amp.  The latter also was using some small tube dac as well.  The WA22 was very good on the technical side and maybe leaning more toward as solid statish sound than I would have thought with the HD800.  But like I said, I didn't feel I was able to evaluate it as well without my own music.  Here is a picture of that other tube amp.  It doesn't use a common tube combo, I think one of them is a 6900 (not 6922)

Apr 23, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #2,055 of 28,989
So I finally have the PS DLIII and V200 hooked up (balanced) to the HD800's. So far so good, but I can definitely tell the obvious weak spot is the USB section. I have a PC laptop so I'm connected via USB. Can anyone recommend a USB-SPDIF converter? I trust you guys more than posting in the Sources section. Right now, I'm looking at the VLINK, but don't want to spend another couple hundred bucks (I'm being super cheap right now, I've spent all my money!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back