The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Mar 24, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #27,214 of 28,976
It is essier to crown the hd800 as king of orchestra. A lot harder to choose which is the king of pop/rock. TH900, Audeze, ZMF all bring something different to the table.

I think it's no coincidence that many HD800 owners also have Audeze LCD2

Mar 24, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #27,215 of 28,976
I can def see why it’s not king for pop the moment I tried pop/rock on HD800S :x
Actually the hd800 is one of the strong candidates as well. It is an overkill of mainstream pop. But need to fix its tonality without sacrificing too much of its technicalities. Gotta let that first-class bass out.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2019 at 9:25 PM Post #27,216 of 28,976
Actually the hd800 is one of the strong candidates as well. It is an overkill of mainstream pop. But need to fix its tonality without sacrificing too much of its technicalities. Gotta let that first-class bass out.

Hmm, perhaps I was not used to how things sounded when I demoed HD800S w pop

Will try again if I ever have the chance or if just end up buying them lol

It’s nice to know such a model can become a “legacy product” and be around for so long :)

Mar 25, 2019 at 1:06 AM Post #27,217 of 28,976
Since all parts of the frequency spectrum including bass and sub-bass have great definition in HD800 (the bass is present, only underwhelmed), it works wonder by EQing, or tube rolling to emphasize the bass. There are other headphones which are naturally better suited towards hip hop or rock, like Audeze LCD3, but none of them have the imaging abilities of HD800, which is something that cannot be imparted by change of gear. That’s why I think, hd800 is a great investment to build up that dream audio rig centered around it, which will give enjoyment for many years.

Mar 25, 2019 at 3:14 AM Post #27,218 of 28,976
Hmm, perhaps I was not used to how things sounded when I demoed HD800S w pop

Will try again if I ever have the chance or if just end up buying them lol

It’s nice to know such a model can become a “legacy product” and be around for so long :)
Thing is....you dont actually need resolution and soundstage size for mainstream music. Especially for easy listening. Hence an overkill.

For pure vocal tracks, I usually use the HD600. It can really bring out the soul of the vocal. Also recommend ZMF cans for their sweet vocal.

For rock, I use the LCD 2C. If you properly amp the HD6xx series, it is also actually good. Just that the LCD 2C (EQ-ed) has that large sound and bass impact.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2019 at 3:31 AM Post #27,219 of 28,976
Thing is....you dont actually need resolution and soundstage size for mainstream music. Especially for easy listening. Hence an overkill.

For pure vocal tracks, I usually use the HD600. It can really bring out the soul of the vocal. Also recommend ZMF cans for their sweet vocal.

For rock, I use the LCD 2C. If you properly amp the HD6xx series, it is also actually good. Just that the LCD 2C (EQ-ed) has that large sound and bass impact.

makes sense, i concur

using 650's for now, no idea abt how ZMF sounds but dang Zach's new Aeolus in bubinga wood is quite something..

funnily enough after contacting him regarding shipping,

the cost of a normal aeolus, hd800s and lcd x are the same haha what a problem to have lol

Mar 25, 2019 at 3:33 AM Post #27,220 of 28,976

I agree, the HD800 is definitely not the only horse in town, although it is probably the most refined. I do prefer the Auteur for many tracks, but that’s not to say those tracks don’t sound great on the HD800. But when you play the right track or album on the right system (and the HD800, unlike the Auteur, is VERY system dependent), then the HD800 is almost unbeatable for any money. If you’re a Dido fan, have a listen to ‘Live at Brixton Academy’ on an HD800-optimized system and your mind will literally be blown.

Mar 25, 2019 at 3:42 AM Post #27,221 of 28,976
I agree, the HD800 is definitely not the only horse in town, although it is probably the most refined. I do prefer the Auteur for many tracks, but that’s not to say those tracks don’t sound great on the HD800. But when you play the right track or album on the right system (and the HD800, unlike the Auteur, is VERY system dependent), then the HD800 is almost unbeatable for any money. If you’re a Dido fan, have a listen to ‘Live at Brixton Academy’ on an HD800-optimized system and your mind will literally be blown.

i heard this and loved it!

albeit not on a HD800..

Mar 25, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #27,222 of 28,976
Agreed, HD800 is probably the top dog for live recordings at a large venue like that. Especially if it is accompanied with many instruments.

But for a girl who sings with a guitar, it is an overkill haha.

Mar 25, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #27,223 of 28,976
Agreed, HD800 is probably the top dog for live recordings at a large venue like that. Especially if it is accompanied with many instruments.

But for a girl who sings with a guitar, it is an overkill haha.
Not sure if I agree. I mainly listen to girl/guitar and the HD800 is so real it’s as if I’m sitting in the room while she’s playing. More real even than the Auteur, which is by far the most realistic and totally accurate headphone I’ve heard, mainly because of the HD800’s sense of space, and the detail that pics up every nuance of the voice. Of course this depends on the quality of recording - a badly recorded girl/guitar track can be painful on the HD800, especially if it’s inherently sibilant like so many poor recordings can be. That’s where the Auteur is more forgiving and preferable.

Mar 25, 2019 at 9:40 AM Post #27,224 of 28,976
I listen to rock, heavy metal, thrash, trance, house, nu-disco, chill, folk, singer song writer, pop and if it is well made then the HD800 shines for all these and more for me with the R2R11.

it is definitely not a one trick pony like I thought it may have been from what I had read.

Mar 25, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #27,225 of 28,976
I listen to rock, heavy metal, thrash, trance, house, nu-disco, chill, folk, singer song writer, pop and if it is well made then the HD800 shines for all these and more for me with the R2R11.

it is definitely not a one trick pony like I thought it may have been from what I had read.
So true. I got it thinking it’ll seal the deal for jazz and classical (neither of which I listen to too much of), and happily discovered it was perfect for almost anything with detail, instruments and decent production values.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back