The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Mar 12, 2019 at 7:16 AM Post #27,166 of 28,989
Hi guys, can anyone recommend a good yet affordable replica aftermarket pad? I bought one off Amazon that’s decent, but the fit is very tight and the material bunches up on some of the edges like so:

Hey guys, I answered my own question here. Used the plastic frame of the original pads with the fabric/foam of the replica pads and voila! Perfect replicas.

Here’s another question though. Anyone seen this sort of ‘staining’ on their headband, and have any idea how to clean it/polish it out? It’s not sticky or tacky, looks like a chemical stain on the steel itself.

45F33937-6F6D-4B98-B8B2-BFF907372A75.jpeg

Mar 12, 2019 at 9:25 AM Post #27,167 of 28,989
That’s a great journey you describe. I am also considering Gumby (or Hugo 2) as my next DAC upgrade. As for the amp, I am still deciding, BHA-1, or the Violectric V281. Having HD800 is like walking on a precipice (as it probably should be, with hi-end gear that doesn’t sugarcoat). if you take the right steps, you will be rewarded with a great view, but take the wrong step, ... :beyersmile:

I don't think you can go wrong with either of those DACs or amps ... good quality equipment.

The GMB/A2/Gen5 and BHA-1 is a nice pairing. The Bryston amp is very robust and not overly bright for its design.
It does have adjustable gain, that I leave in the "high" mode, even with the HD800.

I haven't personally heard the Hugo2 nor the V281, but they get a lot of great comments on Head-Fi.
It would be a good idea to find people who own or have owned that equipment, to get their opinions.

Happy hunting ... watch your step :)

Mar 12, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #27,169 of 28,989
I don't think you can go wrong with either of those DACs or amps ... good quality equipment.

The GMB/A2/Gen5 and BHA-1 is a nice pairing. The Bryston amp is very robust and not overly bright for its design.
It does have adjustable gain, that I leave in the "high" mode, even with the HD800.

I haven't personally heard the Hugo2 nor the V281, but they get a lot of great comments on Head-Fi.
It would be a good idea to find people who own or have owned that equipment, to get their opinions.

Happy hunting ... watch your step :)

Thanks. In the upcoming CanJam SoCal, I plan to audition both Hugo 2 and Gumby. So far, from all the comments I have read, Mojo is better sounding than Mimby, while Gumby is better than Mojo. Comparing the two, I agree that Mojo is noticeably better in imaging and soundstaging than Mimby. I am curious to find out how Hugo 2 compares against Gumby. I also want to audition the V281 vs BHA-1, but don't know whether Violectric will put up an exhibit.

watch your step :)

I will, especially with the HD800 ... ha ha.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #27,170 of 28,989
I can't find any new HD800 anymore for under $1500, everybody that was selling them for $1100 seem to be sold out.
Is there any resellers still selling them new at that price in stock?

I've had my HD800 for 7 years and thousands of hours of use, it's falling apart pretty badly. Need a new one. (Don't want the HD800S, HD800SDR is :ok_hand:)

Mar 13, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #27,173 of 28,989
Hey guys, I answered my own question here. Used the plastic frame of the original pads with the fabric/foam of the replica pads and voila! Perfect replicas.

Here’s another question though. Anyone seen this sort of ‘staining’ on their headband, and have any idea how to clean it/polish it out? It’s not sticky or tacky, looks like a chemical stain on the steel itself.

If it's staining, Isopropyl Alcohol should remove it. If not, you may have to use a light polishing compouned or you can wait till you're my age, than you will be unable to see it.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 8:49 PM Post #27,177 of 28,989
HD800 performs wonderfully those classical orchestral music in good tonal balance and accuracy throughout spectrum of frequency.
Possibly the best phone for big band classical music among my collection of phones.
Many phones are missing the importance of balanced performance, whereas HD800 reveals all of the music information buried layers and layer deep through the action of balancing.
How many instances I have forgot the fact that ultimately the music is made of harmony and symmetry which are basically the ratio of tones / the ratio of intensities of each tone, and accuracy of temporal symmetry.
HD800 realizes all of those in great accuracy through great tonal balance and temporal accuracy in classical orchestral music.

Mar 16, 2019 at 12:52 AM Post #27,178 of 28,989
HD800 gives me a sens of reference or datum, where I am anchored down to music only without pursuing onto the endless desire of upgrading phones or false image of perfect phones.
Especially for classical orchestral music that requires very good resolution to resolve down the whole spectrum of instruments producing each tones with different timbres.
For this resolving power, the balanced performance is important and sens of reference eliminates the false or fruitless effort to pursuing false goal of perfection that does not exist.
It was a long journey through flight over raging waves of winter ocean and finally arrived at barren branch of a tree as a crow, who realized suddenly the importance of his own flying skill that enables him to ignore the raging waves which is not related to his own flight.

Mar 16, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #27,180 of 28,989
Anyone here tried the Furutech HD800 cable?

Nope, but I'm using Wywires cables, which I highly recommend. Started with their Red series then moved to Platinum. Great cables.
As discussed on their site, you need to consult with Alex before he will make your cable. He custom-builds for each customer. A very nice fellow.

http://www.wywires.com/headphone-cables/

I'm not affiliated with Wywires, just a satisfied customer :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back