The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Feb 11, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #27,151 of 28,989
Those metal grill covers (#020 if this is what you are referring to) are p/n 533369 and the last time I checked the price it was ≈ $14 each.

I have 2 sets that I have removed from my 800's, so if you want a set let me know and we can work out the details.
But I'd also suggest as a possibility, if SQ is high on your priority list , to remove them and see if there is any change for the better, or not.

JJ

I need number 40 or 130, not sure which number it is in the pic above. It’s the cup shaped metal screen that goes all around it, as I dented mine slightly.

My cable split and I had to send it to senn, in the process of fighting the cable to let go of the headphones, it popped out and hit the metal thing and slightly marked it. Does not affect sq as it never dented it, the inside is perfect, it’s just a slight mark on the outside.

Anyone got any idea of how much number 40 or 130 would cost ?

It the shiny silver metal that goes right around the headphones. I’m not sure if it’s 40 or 130 in the picture.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #27,152 of 28,989
#40 is the earcup that the driver and the rest of the parts attach to. It has the metal screens etc.
The last time I checked this part costs ≈ $71 + S&H

#130 is the internal dust cover that is easily removed.
I don't have a price on that.

JJ

Feb 15, 2019 at 9:30 PM Post #27,153 of 28,989
Hi All,

It's been a while. Does anybody have a recommendation for aftermarket replacement pads that are cheaper than the original? Not looking to change the sound, just better durability at a better price. Not convinced of trying the $14 ebay ones though.

Thanks!

Feb 16, 2019 at 1:03 AM Post #27,154 of 28,989
Hi All,

It's been a while. Does anybody have a recommendation for aftermarket replacement pads that are cheaper than the original? Not looking to change the sound, just better durability at a better price. Not convinced of trying the $14 ebay ones though.

Thanks!

Those $14 Chinese knockoffs are actually pretty damn close to the real ones. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.

Mar 6, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #27,157 of 28,989
I have been listening to the HD800 through Audirvana via Schiit Eitr to Modi multibit connected to Jotunheim balanced. I thought this combo made the HD800 sound decent, not extraordinary by any means. OK soundstage and instrument separation, anemic bass, and above all, sibilance (Mimby works much better with my other tube amp, La Fiagro 339). I recently acquired a Chord Mojo and it significantly improved things with Jotunheim in all quarters, except sibilance. This was using the USB input of Mojo.

Next, I switched to the coax input of Mojo and connected through the Eitr. I have never heard a more dramatic improvement in a headphone from the same audio chain, just by adding one extra component (i.e. the Eitr). The sound became so much out of head with holographic and deep soundstage and amazing instrument separation. The soundstage moved more towards the front of the head becoming centrally situated, while before it was more towards the back. However, the most dramatic improvement was the complete lack of treble harshness and the sibilance was gone, (I am using the SDR mod) even from the 60s/70s albums that were unheardable through the HD800 before. I don't know how this happened, but it was magical. The HD800 now sounds smooth and extremely musical even with old recordings and sounds just effortless. Since the sound is so much out of the head with no treble glare, there is no fatigue and everything sounds really natural. The whole experience is almost to the point of being addictive. The only thing that I think comes a little short is a slightly less treble extension. In some of the classical albums, I think Mimby did slightly better with treble definition and texture, but everything else is really good, including the sense of space in live concert recordings and improved bass quantity. The bass is not light at all, just adequate even for EDM and hip hop (I listened to a few).

While I have never heard one of the very high end amps that do real justice to the HD800, I think, my current setup at the least gives a flavor of what those high end amps are capable of with the HD800. The sound quality has reached a level where I can easily imagine this to be my end game setup for quite some time. What is your experience if you have tried the same setup?

Mar 6, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #27,158 of 28,989
I have been listening to the HD800 through Audirvana via Schiit Eitr to Modi multibit connected to Jotunheim balanced. I thought this combo made the HD800 sound decent, not extraordinary by any means. OK soundstage and instrument separation, anemic bass, and above all, sibilance (Mimby works much better with my other tube amp, La Fiagro 339). I recently acquired a Chord Mojo and it significantly improved things with Jotunheim in all quarters, except sibilance. This was using the USB input of Mojo.

Next, I switched to the coax input of Mojo and connected through the Eitr. I have never heard a more dramatic improvement in a headphone from the same audio chain, just by adding one extra component (i.e. the Eitr). The sound became so much out of head with holographic and deep soundstage and amazing instrument separation. The soundstage moved more towards the front of the head becoming centrally situated, while before it was more towards the back. However, the most dramatic improvement was the complete lack of treble harshness and the sibilance was gone, (I am using the SDR mod) even from the 60s/70s albums that were unheardable through the HD800 before. I don't know how this happened, but it was magical. The HD800 now sounds smooth and extremely musical even with old recordings and sounds just effortless. Since the sound is so much out of the head with no treble glare, there is no fatigue and everything sounds really natural. The whole experience is almost to the point of being addictive. The only thing that I think comes a little short is a slightly less treble extension. In some of the classical albums, I think Mimby did slightly better with treble definition and texture, but everything else is really good, including the sense of space in live concert recordings and improved bass quantity. The bass is not light at all, just adequate even for EDM and hip hop (I listened to a few).

While I have never heard one of the very high end amps that do real justice to the HD800, I think, my current setup at the least gives a flavor of what those high end amps are capable of with the HD800. The sound quality has reached a level where I can easily imagine this to be my end game setup for quite some time. What is your experience if you have tried the same setup?

Same thing happened to me when using optical with Mojo and Hugo2, silky smooth sound without compromising the treble clarity and detail. I wouldnt have picked the Jotunheim for HD800 as its known for being a bit bright and edgy, probably why people like it so much on the HD650.

If you do consider changing the amp it may be worth trying the HD800(S) model first that would likely make more difference, especially the treble.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2019 at 1:43 AM Post #27,159 of 28,989
Same thing happened to me when using optical with Mojo and Hugo2, silky smooth sound without compromising the treble clarity and detail. I wouldnt have picked the Jotunheim for HD800 as its known for being a bit bright and edgy, probably why people like it so much on the HD650.

If you do consider changing the amp it may be worth trying the HD800(S) model first that would likely make more difference, especially the treble.

I agree, I wouldn’t have selected jotunheim either for HD800. However I had the Jot to begin with, before I got the HD800. I was contemplating whether to get rid of it, since I didn’t like the Jot/Mimby pairing with HD800. Thankfully, with the Mojo and Eitr, it isn’t bad any longer, although I think Hd800 can do much better, with better amps (and DACS).

Mar 7, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #27,160 of 28,989

Kinda strange how it is, with the HD800. When you finally get the pairing right, it's like turning on the "great sound" switch.

I went thru several combinations:
1 - BiFrost + Asgard2
2 - Gungnir + Mjolnir1
3 - Gungnir + HDVA600
4 - Gungnir + BHA-1
5 - Gumby + BHA-1
6 - Gumby/A2 Gen5 + BHA-1

Step #5 was what really opened up the sound, for me. The magic of the Schiit MB ... is real.
Step #6 was like lagniappe. A little bit better! Staying right where I am.
YMMV, but I'm getting good mileage these days :)

Cheers,
RCB

Mar 8, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #27,161 of 28,989
Kinda strange how it is, with the HD800. When you finally get the pairing right, it's like turning on the "great sound" switch.

1 - BiFrost + Asgard2
2 - Gungnir + Mjolnir1
3 - Gungnir + HDVA600
4 - Gungnir + BHA-1
5 - Gumby + BHA-1

Step #5 was what really opened up the sound, for me. The magic of the Schiit MB ... is real.

Cheers,
RCB

Great explanation...you nailed it.

My progression is at Yggy+WooWA2+HD800 and I have been rewarded every step of the way.

Mar 8, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #27,162 of 28,989
Great explanation...you nailed it.

My progression is at Yggy+WooWA2+HD800 and I have been rewarded every step of the way.

Thanks. The WA2 looks like a great amp. I know nothing about tubes or tube amps, have always been a SS guy.

I got hooked on the HD800 sound a few years ago at a HP meet in Nashville. I was only at Step #1 then.
Dan Clark of Mr. Speakers was here with his new Ether line. He also brought his home rigs: Yggy (A1) + Ragnarok and WA5.
Both rigs sounded sweet, and the WA5 really blew me away. That's when I realized the potential of the HD800 :)

Mar 8, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #27,163 of 28,989

1 - BiFrost + Asgard2
2 - Gungnir + Mjolnir1
3 - Gungnir + HDVA600
4 - Gungnir + BHA-1
5 - Gumby + BHA-1

Cheers,
RCB

That’s a great journey you describe. I am also considering Gumby (or Hugo 2) as my next DAC upgrade. As for the amp, I am still deciding, BHA-1, or the Violectric V281. Having HD800 is like walking on a precipice (as it probably should be, with hi-end gear that doesn’t sugarcoat). if you take the right steps, you will be rewarded with a great view, but take the wrong step, ... :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #27,164 of 28,989
Having HD800 is like walking on a precipice (as it probably should be, with hi end gear that doesn’t sugarcoat). if you take the right steps, you will rewarded with a great view, but take the wrong step, ... :beyersmile:
Great way to describe it! I finally joined the HD800 Club this week. Thankfully the Audio-gd R-28 is an exceptional match - just warm enough and smooth enough to manage the peaks and perk up the low end. Can’t believe it’s taken me this long to get this headphone. Along with the Auteur (which is a perfect complement), I reckon I’m at desktop endgame.

Mar 12, 2019 at 1:00 AM Post #27,165 of 28,989
Hi guys, can anyone recommend a good yet affordable replica aftermarket pad? I bought one off Amazon that’s decent, but the fit is very tight and the material bunches up on some of the edges like so:

66084BCA-C648-40FA-96EB-DA90DE4BDC57.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back