The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Dec 7, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #27,076 of 28,976
Any specific brand of 6CG7 tube? I've asked a friend if I can borrow her Valhalla2 (never used these days since she has a EC ZDS2) to try these tubes and since she also has a HD800 she may decide to keep the V2 since she also has a HD700 and a ZMF Auteur. She had offered me the V2 for free since it was quite bad to her even with some pricy tubes.

From what I remember the RCA cleartops were very good. I got a pair of "butt ugly" from the Brent Jeese fairly cheap. There were some that were a little harsher than others but the RCAs weren't. It's been a long time though so my memory is a little fuzzy on specifics.

Also the tubes go in the front. They are about as tall as the back power tubes so don't want anyone getting confused.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #27,077 of 28,976
I would manage my expectations though. They don't drastically change the amp, but they had a bigger effect than the Schiit recommended tubes. You still may not even like it. But one guy I know called it his end game amp after hearing them. Some people like me still sold it for better gear. You never know. It makes the V2 a better amp IMO. And some people will not be able to handle the HD800 treble peak no matter what. This is not guaranteed to cure people of that.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #27,078 of 28,976
The normal tube family Schiit recommends (6DJ8, 6922 , etc etc) are not going to change the sound much. The C6G7 tubes are a whole different story. Not recommended by Schiit, but noticeably change the characteristics of the amp. Specifically fixing (to a degree) what it is lacking: macrodynamics, clarity. And fixes what it is doing too much of: dry/sandy treble. Not a huge change but much more than the standard recommended tube swaps. People have really not heard what the V2 is capable of until using the 6CG7 tubes. The only downside is certain brands make the soundstage slightly claustrophobic. For $350 and those tubes, it is one of the best amps for the 800 under $500. I haven't heard Lyr 3.

I would manage my expectations though. They don't drastically change the amp, but they had a bigger effect than the Schiit recommended tubes. You still may not even like it. But one guy I know called it his end game amp after hearing them. Some people like me still sold it for better gear. You never know. It makes the V2 a better amp IMO. And some people will not be able to handle the HD800 treble peak no matter what. This is not guaranteed to cure people of that.

I'm a bit confused here since I asked about the 6CG7 tubes due to your previous post (underlined part) but now you are back tracking and saying that they might only make a slight difference and say that they don't drastically change the V2 and I still may not like it?

I have a pair of RCA clear tops (not 6CG7 but 12AU7, great tube for my Ember and BH Crack) and doing some research the RCA clear top variant is a 6FQ7. I've also been informed by a friend that I actually might have tried some 6CG7 tubes when I had his Liquid Glass for a few months last year.

Dec 7, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #27,079 of 28,976
It's not backtracking, it's taking into account the subjective nature of the hobby. For every "drastic change" there are people who call it "barely audible". There are people who believe all DACs and cables sound the same. In this environment it's important to keep them level headed about what to expect because not everyone hears the same.

My opinion on the matter hasn't changed one iota. I'm just warning you not to take what I say deadly seriously so that you are disappointed they don't sound exactly how I described. The hobby is subjective. YMMV is a term created for a reason.

Dec 7, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #27,080 of 28,976
The way I see it....Vali 2, Valhalla 2, and Lyr 3 used to be DA deal in town for budget tube amps. They still are. But others are catching up. MCTH, ZD Jr., Liquid Platinum to name a few. This is good for us.

Dec 7, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #27,081 of 28,976
Sennheiser HD-800 S/N 50000 numbers are marked in gold ,proud owner here, very nice gesture from Sennheiser
sennheiser hd-800.jpg

Dec 7, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #27,082 of 28,976
Sennheiser HD-800 S/N 50000 numbers are marked in gold ,proud owner here, very nice gesture from Sennheiser
Like to reply my own post.I have owned 8 pairs of these over the years and this unique pair has a very smooth frequency curve and it gives great presentation,this pair is likely a carefully selected pair.Clearly the best of all wich i have had.
My friend Zolkis liked these very much when he auditioned them.

Dec 7, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #27,085 of 28,976

Is that 800S or none S version ? It may be none S.
If so, may be it has tuned to sound as sound of 800s , but not completely same.

Dec 7, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #27,086 of 28,976
Like to reply my own post.I have owned 8 pairs of these over the years and this unique pair has a very smooth frequency curve and it gives great presentation,this pair is likely a carefully selected pair.Clearly the best of all wich i have had.

Are you saying only this HD800 has been tuned differently because it’s serial number 50000?

Dec 7, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #27,087 of 28,976
I just noticed Valhalla 2 has been marked down to just Valhalla now, I guess they aren’t planning on making a successor under that name.

I think Vali 1 was far better sounding, hybrid amp with little Raytheon radio tubes. I wonder If Vali 2 actually provided an upgrade.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2018 at 1:28 AM Post #27,089 of 28,976

It was discontinued in June this year so there wouldn't be further development, just existing stock.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2018 at 5:33 AM Post #27,090 of 28,976
Since it is discounted I wonder if I should wait for a deal or better hurry up buying the HD800.

Also I would love to have a nice serial number :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back