The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Apr 24, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #25,861 of 28,989
Thanks for for the feedback guys,

It's not that i find the differences between 650 and 800 small or smth, it was only related too my (seemingly overhyped) expectation of soundstage differences. Detail, speed and instrument separation is clearly better than 650. Now i've listened a bit more and on some material soundstage improvement is much more apparent and on some it's very minimal. Now with some non-heavy EQing they do shine.

Can anyone there respond to the earpad thickness issue (how thick is your earpad now, how fast does it usually flatten, does it affect sound much?)

Apr 24, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #25,862 of 28,989
  Thanks for for the feedback guys,

It's not that i find the differences between 650 and 800 small or smth, it was only related too my (seemingly overhyped) expectation of soundstage differences. Detail, speed and instrument separation is clearly better than 650. Now i've listened a bit more and on some material soundstage improvement is much more apparent and on some it's very minimal. Now with some non-heavy EQing they do shine.

Can anyone there respond to the earpad thickness issue (how thick is your earpad now, how fast does it usually flatten, does it affect sound much?)

My last pair of HD800 had some pad wear.. But to be honest I don't think it makes much difference sound wise as they are pretty flat when they are new. Only comfort can change if they are very worn down. Maybe if you aren't getting any seal around your face this could possibly cause sound changes though? Dunno.

Yes give them time. Ears and brain need adjustment time to make sense of the new sound world. Seriously give them at least a week before you make your mind up :)

Congrats anyway! And welcome to the high end club :wink:   

Apr 24, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #25,863 of 28,989
  At the end of the day we are only talking about headphones... So in that respect I suppose it's up to the individual how they let their imagination run. 

I personally find the HD800 night and day compared to the HD650 (which is the headphone the poster has upgraded from) Bit like going from a classic Ford to a Bentley. But anyone only wanting to get from A to B is probably not going to appreciate the difference. Sound quality is a learned experience like anything. Sure we all have our tastes and preferences that are instant - but the whole point of sites such as Head-fi is to discuss the sound quality and all things related. As time goes on you can actually learn a lot. I've learned a lot about sound quality and the reproduction of it, this has helped me build systems to cater for my preferences.
Now anyone expecting a headphone's soundstage to sound like a pair of speakers in their room is realistically expecting a bit too much. If a headphone has been described as having a speaker-like presentation or soundstage, then it has to be taken within relevance to headphone listening and the expectations involved, naturally? I would have thought this would be common sense..

Soundstage size is an important part of a headphone and no-one on here with any experience is going to agree that they are all pretty much the same size. Because they are not. And to say the HD800 has only 0.5 larger soundstage over the HD650 is absurd my friend. I'm sorry! But it is...    

"Night and Day" on the internet is usually hyperbolic code for "I notice a difference".  All of this stuff is subjective anyway after a point, and is also something that has not only already been stated ad nauseam, but too one would think would be common sense.  There's also a lot of confirmation bias, purchase justification as well as simply adjusting to a different sound that skews what's being said about any number of audio equipment opinions.  It's one thing to talk about sonic differences, but it goes off the rails into absurdity when someone starts talking like a pretentious wine taster; which a great many do.

This isn't some veiled attempt to discredit the HD800s of being a "top tier" headphone, it's just that for years now their legendary status fed upon itself and each new telling of the myth grew bigger than the last.  Plus, there are a lot more "top tier" headphones now that are very competitive in some way or another with them than when they were first released.

Apr 24, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #25,864 of 28,989
  "Night and Day" on the internet is usually hyperbolic code for "I notice a difference".  All of this stuff is subjective anyway after a point, and is also something that has not only already been stated ad nauseam, but too one would think would be common sense.  There's also a lot of confirmation bias, purchase justification as well as simply adjusting to a different sound that skews what's being said about any number of audio equipment opinions.  It's one thing to talk about sonic differences, but it goes off the rails into absurdity when someone starts talking like a pretentious wine taster; which a great many do.

This isn't some veiled attempt to discredit the HD800s of being a "top tier" headphone, it's just that for years now their legendary status fed upon itself and each new telling of the myth grew bigger than the last.  Plus, there are a lot more "top tier" headphones now that are very competitive in some way or another with them than when they were first released.

Yes I hear what you are saying... although I must say it is coming across a little cynical? I'm also aware that they have (and always have had) healthy competition.. Not sure what your point is. Either way I respect your opinion that they have sometimes been hyperboled - most good headphones are on here. But again, it comes down to a little sensibility of realism how many grains of salt you take! :)

Apr 24, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #25,865 of 28,989
Has anyone tried these hd800 pads from ebay? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Soft-Ear-Pads-Earpads-Cushions-For-Sennheiser-HD800-HD800S-Headphone-Replacement-/142355574716?hash=item21250dafbc:g:j4MAAOSwuspY-HzN I know hard to get a good third party pads but wonder if anyone tried these yet

Apr 24, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #25,866 of 28,989
If they don't work it's obviously not a huge loss, let us know how you get them attached to the HD800.
biggrin.gif

I know forking out the dough for the orig. Sennheiser pads needs a tough grab of the wallet, as it might be trying to hide somewhere but honestly getting a 1.5k $ headphone, possibly investing in custom cables, a dedicated headphone amp and skimping at the pads and go for some $10 pads from China?
rolleyes.gif

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #25,867 of 28,989
good point :)
  If they don't work it's obviously not a huge loss, let us know how you get them attached to the HD800.
biggrin.gif

I know forking out the dough for the orig. Sennheiser pads needs a tough grab of the wallet, as it might be trying to hide somewhere but honestly getting a 1.5k $ headphone, possibly investing in custom cables, a dedicated headphone amp and skimping at the pads and go for some $10 pads from China?
rolleyes.gif

Apr 25, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #25,868 of 28,989
  Hi,

I've just joined the HD800 club (good deal on 1year used pair with SDR mod). Have couple of questions:
1) Earpads: cleaned and disinfected them, fabric is in very good condition, but I can't tell if the foam is too compressed or not. Can somebody please measure the pad thickness, i would be very grateful.
2) Soundstage: while extra details are there (compared to my HD650), soundstage improvement is there too, but not even remotely to the extent that is usually talked about (maybe i was expecting too much...). I use DAC-19 (DSPv7) and Meier Corda Jazz-FF. Can it be and upstream gear 'issue' or just the way my ears\brain work?

Thanks

I have a new set of pads that I measured with these results…
≈15-16mm depending upon where you measure them.

My very old and in need of being replaced set measure at 11-15mm

800's are VERY reflective of the signal being sent them.
This includes the source of the signal, as well as the electronics that feed that source to them.

They, in and of themselves, won't 'make' the sounstage bigger or better etc, but they will reflect the degree of the soundstage of the source/system that is sent to them.

And as the quality of that signal improves, the 800's will reflect that back to you as well.

JJ

Apr 25, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #25,869 of 28,989
  Hi,

I've just joined the HD800 club (good deal on 1year used pair with SDR mod). Have couple of questions:
1) Earpads: cleaned and disinfected them, fabric is in very good condition, but I can't tell if the foam is too compressed or not. Can somebody please measure the pad thickness, i would be very grateful.
2) Soundstage: while extra details are there (compared to my HD650), soundstage improvement is there too, but not even remotely to the extent that is usually talked about (maybe i was expecting too much...). I use DAC-19 (DSPv7) and Meier Corda Jazz-FF. Can it be and upstream gear 'issue' or just the way my ears\brain work?

Thanks

How long did you listen to HD800 to compare with 650?

i bet it is just 1 song impression. HD650 and HD800 have a different signature which i can find really different. It is just can't grab the signature in your mind yet. Whenever i try HD650, i feel it is very very laid back and the soundstage is so so small. That happens when your mind adjusted with HD800 signature, judge the headphones at least after a week. Not about burn in (no comment in this), but your mind. Headphones are not like speaker which can be different by first impression. Headphones are directly on your ears which needs some times to get used to. Feel free to give your impression. This is just my opinion. So, i hope u can give ur 1 week impression soon, and soon 1 month, 1 year... etc.:)

Apr 25, 2017 at 4:11 AM Post #25,870 of 28,989
  Has anyone tried these hd800 pads from ebay? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Soft-Ear-Pads-Earpads-Cushions-For-Sennheiser-HD800-HD800S-Headphone-Replacement-/142355574716?hash=item21250dafbc:g:j4MAAOSwuspY-HzN I know hard to get a good third party pads but wonder if anyone tried these yet

Heh, I ordered these yesterday (just to see how close they can come to the original, will buy originals anyway) and wanted to ask the same question. Delivery estimation: end of May -  end of June. Can do the small review on them once they arrive, if anyone is interested.

Apr 25, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #25,871 of 28,989
Not that I've looked for them, but these are the 1st I've seen of any aftermarket pads for 800's.

And I'm gunna order up a set as well to compare to my new set I just got from Sennheiser.

I have been wondering when the aftermarket would start to make these.
I mean really, 800's are a TotL HP that have been around for quite a few years now and no one seems to have jumped on this before now.
Curious.

JJ

Apr 27, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #25,873 of 28,989
I have a new set of pads that I measured with these results…
≈15-16mm depending upon where you measure them.

My very old and in need of being replaced set measure at 11-15mm

800's are VERY reflective of the signal being sent them.
This includes the source of the signal, as well as the electronics that feed that source to them.

They, in and of themselves, won't 'make' the sounstage bigger or better etc, but they will reflect the degree of the soundstage of the source/system that is sent to them.

And as the quality of that signal improves, the 800's will reflect that back to you as well.

JJ

Thanks for the measurements,
My pads are ~11mm at the thickest point (measured without taking them off), so it looks like ill be needing new ones soon.

Apr 27, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #25,874 of 28,989

Welcome to the HD800 club. When I first got mine I wasn't blown away either... they weren't that much better than the HD600 or HE560 I already had. It took awhile for me casually listening and the occasional 'oh wow' for me to really start enjoying them. Don't A/B, you're ears like your eyes, adjust to their surroundings, it takes a little time. I'd recommend listening to just the HD800 for a few days then going back to the HD650... I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

The other thing I've found is that source matters more than with any other headphone I've ever owned. The HD6xx series are good headphones but there is a point at which they stop scaling. I didn't realize this until I built my Mainline Amp, listening to it with the HD600's was like listening to a really good HD600, listening with the HD800 is like listening to a completely different headphone. A headphone with much more muchness. I had it in the office and some people who were animate that they didn't like the HD800 just stood there mouth agape and muttering "wow"...

I guess my point is, if you're feeling a bit of buyers remorse... you can feel secure that the HD800 will grow with you over time.

Will measure the pads when i get home tonight if nobody else has.... though I can't imagine they are overly compressed... they are already quite thin.

Apr 28, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #25,875 of 28,989
Welcome to the HD800 club. When I first got mine I wasn't blown away either... they weren't that much better than the HD600 or HE560 I already had. It took awhile for me casually listening and the occasional 'oh wow' for me to really start enjoying them. Don't A/B, you're ears like your eyes, adjust to their surroundings, it takes a little time. I'd recommend listening to just the HD800 for a few days then going back to the HD650... I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I'm definitely not feeling the buyer's remorse. It completely replaced HD650 as main HP. Already had some 'oh wow' moments esp. with acoustic instrument performances ). Works for almost all of my music. My soundstage 'issue' with it was partly music material-related and partly over-expectation. So with my current setup i'm a happy hippo for now and just waiting for Jan Meier to release some new top amp, if that day ever comes)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back