The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jul 8, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #19,186 of 28,989
I havnet tried Valhalla, but Mjolnir/Gungnir is a Hugh pile of crap with HD800.. Way way to bright to even be considered neutral, IMO.
And I know I'm not the only one hating Mjolnir with HD800, lots of people in here share the same opinion.

Should be good with Audeze which obviously lacks treble.

Skip the cable and get a good active monitor
wink.gif

+1 best advice on HF this week, IMO. 
beerchug.gif

Jul 9, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #19,187 of 28,989
I havnet tried Valhalla, but Mjolnir/Gungnir is a Hugh pile of crap with HD800.. Way way to bright to even be considered neutral, IMO.
And I know I'm not the only one hating Mjolnir with HD800, lots of people in here share the same opinion.

Should be good with Audeze which obviously lacks treble.

Skip the cable and get a good active monitor
wink.gif

Thank you for the info, so I'll keep my current combo. I was actually referring to a pc monitor like the UW Dell lol but I may look into those as well.

Jul 9, 2015 at 2:43 AM Post #19,188 of 28,989
Well we aren't allowed to descuse speakers, but I found Yamaha HS series very similar to HD800, both in balance and clarity, tremendous value in speakers, IMO.

Jul 9, 2015 at 3:39 AM Post #19,189 of 28,989
  Has anyone tried the HD 800's paired with both the Valhalla 2/ Bifrost Uber 

This is my settings. Very happy with my combo! Everything sounds great!
Some would recommend Anax mod with the Val2, I can understand why but so far I didn't feel the need to make it. Maybe you can try some different tubes with some money left ?

Jul 9, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #19,190 of 28,989
  This is my settings. Very happy with my combo! Everything sounds great!
Some would recommend Anax mod with the Val2, I can understand why but so far I didn't feel the need to make it. Maybe you can try some different tubes with some money left ?

Good to hear ^^. I'm actually using it with 64 Foton and 66 Novo that were included with the stock from the headfier I bought the Valhalla from. Picking up either the Draug 2 or the Zoetic cable from Norne Audio mainly because I like the look and I want a shorter cable than stock but if there is differences in sound that will be a positive.

Jul 9, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #19,192 of 28,989
  Any thoughts on how new vs. old pads affect sound? Notably stuff like soundstage?

I have pretty worn down pads and have been thinking about getting a replacement pair for awhile.

Not nay in what I experienced when I changed mine at the beginning of this year :wink: 

Jul 9, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #19,194 of 28,989
  Were they easy to change? I was under the impression HD800 pads were not replaceable.

Pull them off is easy. put them on is a bit harder because it needs a bit time to understand how they fit exactly and once understood you still have to push hard enough. I struggled a bit but there's nothing that hard to do. Sorry but I'm not able to explain it better in english.  

Jul 9, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #19,195 of 28,989
I agree. I had a really old HD800 where it was starting to flake so I replaced the pads and didn't hear any sound change. They are easy to replace however you need to understand how to take them off first. I thought I broke it the first time I tried taking the pads off before realizing it was fine.

Jul 9, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #19,196 of 28,989
I've removed and replaced the pads a number of times (cleaning, doing the anax mod, etc.). Are the new pads more difficult to get on than the old ones?

Also, if there's no sound change, I'll go on to my second question. How is the soundstage for everyone here? For me, it's fine, but far from how it's described. It's pretty close, but the big benefit is that the soundstage doesn't encroach into the "inside the head" area, unlike every other headphone I've heard. Outside of the lack of inner-head sound, nothing projects more than a foot or two away from my head (outside of binaural stuff of course).

Jul 9, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #19,197 of 28,989
Anyone else sensitive to certain treble frequencies? For some reason, I get intense pain from my inner ear, down below my ear, behind my jaw. It feels like a really bad cold or perhaps an ear infection (I honestly haven't had one since I was a young kid, but this is painful). It lasts anywhere from an hour or two, to several days (depending on how long I listen with them feeling this way).

I thought the 800's with the Anax mod would be ok for my ears, but after about an hour listening at low/med volume, I start feeling this pain. It feels like someone shoved a sharp knife into my ear and is slowing carving it out... My volume is low enough to hear people beside me talking, so definitely not a volume issue.

Much less pronounced than listening to obviously bright cans... I could tolerate the HE-560's with a Sabre DAC for about 15 seconds. Stock 800's hurt my ears far quicker, but I thought the mod would alleviate all of my pain. Just driving the 800's from a tube setup, so the treble is no where near as much energy as stock or from a SS amp. 

I really, really love the 800's- they give me the same kind of satisfaction I get from the 650's, and more. Just wondering about this treble situation... I don't think I have tinnitus; there is no ringing in my ears, just pain that eventually subsides.

Jul 9, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #19,198 of 28,989
  Anyone else sensitive to certain treble frequencies? For some reason, I get intense pain from my inner ear, down below my ear, behind my jaw. It feels like a really bad cold or perhaps an ear infection (I honestly haven't had one since I was a young kid, but this is painful). It lasts anywhere from an hour or two, to several days (depending on how long I listen with them feeling this way).

I thought the 800's with the Anax mod would be ok for my ears, but after about an hour listening at low/med volume, I start feeling this pain. It feels like someone shoved a sharp knife into my ear and is slowing carving it out... My volume is low enough to hear people beside me talking, so definitely not a volume issue.

Much less pronounced than listening to obviously bright cans... I could tolerate the HE-560's with a Sabre DAC for about 15 seconds. Stock 800's hurt my ears far quicker, but I thought the mod would alleviate all of my pain. Just driving the 800's from a tube setup, so the treble is no where near as much energy as stock or from a SS amp. 

I really, really love the 800's- they give me the same kind of satisfaction I get from the 650's, and more. Just wondering about this treble situation... I don't think I have tinnitus; there is no ringing in my ears, just pain that eventually subsides.

Huh...I would definitely see an audiologist about that... the hear definitely hears higher frequencies as being louder, but it shouldn't hurt, unless the volume is way too loud.

Jul 9, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #19,199 of 28,989
Just got my HD800 and im wondering has anyone tried running them without the dust covers no other mods done ?
And if so was there better detail retrieval i heard that the covers remove a bit of the micro details.

Jul 9, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #19,200 of 28,989

try adjusting the fit of the headphones on your head.you might want to try raising them higher so that the bottom is closer to the bottm of your ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back