The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Mar 11, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #17,446 of 28,989
While own HD800, still not planning to sell my AKG K702, cos, these are great headphones, especially, for the money you can get them for, imo. More even, planning to fully re-cable them directly from drivers, which supose to make them much better.

Mar 11, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #17,447 of 28,989
  After years of listening to my LCD Rev 2, i dusted off my AKG 701's plugged them in. This confirmed that they are relatively bright and that the LCD's are very very warm in comparison, not necessarily rolled off in the higher FR, but more emphasised in the lower FR. But there is something special about how the 701's convey the music and the details. My foot was tapping again and i now feel i have (unknowingly) been craving this type of sound signature... or at least something between the 701's and LCD's.

I suspect the time may have come for the HD 800's???

You should definitely try 'em if you have a chance. If you give em good DAC and amp they will easily outperform K701 in all aspects excepts one, attack or leading edge, whatever. In this aspect HD800 is more like estat, way more holographic than its should be. But is not a major issue, its only concerning me when listening to grand piano like Steinway, where is most apparent. Everything else is in another league, HD800 is far more resolvent. Going back to K701 is almost like going from K701 to HD600, veiled and congested.

Mar 11, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #17,448 of 28,989
  While own HD800, still not planning to sell my AKG K702, cos, these are great headphones, especially, for the money you can get them for, imo. More even, planning to fully re-cable them directly from drivers, which supose to make them much better.

I believe the K702 become a little more "open" sounding & their LF response becomes less of a "hint" of being there on some material.

Recabling them is a worthwhile 'tweek'

Mar 11, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #17,449 of 28,989

geek out 1000 does a fine job with the hd 800. just make sure you have the latest firmware and drivers. there is a good jump in sound quality with the latest drivers. for such a small device, it is quite unreal the level of performance with hd 800. the amplifier section of this thing is a beast. I never have the volume pot over 30. it can go to 100. it is reliable, inexpensive and very powerful and sound good and is more than portable. very easy to setup and instal drivers and firmware. for an inexpensive solution for the hd 800, you c'ant go wrong with this thing. it is a little monster. I had hegel hd25 dac with beta 22 amp and this little device while not up to the level of such a rig is not that far either. this little device made me realize the laws of diminishing returns. I love that thing.

Mar 11, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #17,450 of 28,989
geek out 1000 does a fine job with the hd 800. just make sure you have the latest firmware and drivers. there is a good jump in sound quality with the latest drivers. for such a small device, it is quite unreal the level of performance with hd 800. the amplifier section of this thing is a beast. I never have the volume pot over 30. it can go to 100. it is reliable, inexpensive and very powerful and sound good and is more than portable. very easy to setup and instal drivers and firmware. for an inexpensive solution for the hd 800, you c'ant go wrong with this thing. it is a little monster. I had hegel hd25 dac with beta 22 amp and this little device while not up to the level of such a rig is not that far either. this little device made me realize the laws of diminishing returns. I love that thing.

Thanks for your reply.

Mar 12, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #17,451 of 28,989
Guys, got my 096XX delivered.
Boy the last seller did maintain it in amazing cosmetic condition.

As far as the sound goes it's very balanced and detail? There is plenty and more.

No treble harshness etc, as for the bass I don't miss my th900 bass whatsoever.

Very Comfortable, I was little tensed about these as not everyone likes them but listening to them right now and all I can say these are well worth the money.

Mar 12, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #17,452 of 28,989

You should definitely try 'em if you have a chance. If you give em good DAC and amp they will easily outperform K701 in all aspects excepts one, attack or leading edge, whatever. In this aspect HD800 is more like estat, way more holographic than its should be. But is not a major issue, its only concerning me when listening to grand piano like Steinway, where is most apparent. Everything else is in another league, HD800 is far more resolvent. Going back to K701 is almost like going from K701 to HD600, veiled and congested.

Thanks, this is what i expected.

I can answer this soon.

I had both the lcd and the k701. Will be getting the hd800 tomorrow.

Freaky coincidence. I look forward to your impressions.

Mar 12, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #17,453 of 28,989
Well, I've been listening to the HD800 on a Crack+SB (Tung-Sol 5998 & Tungsram E80CC) for the past few days, but I find the sound quite thin, without much weight, and missing bass impact. Did you guys experience the same thing with this combo?

Mar 12, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #17,454 of 28,989
What's your previous headphone kyno?

Mar 12, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #17,455 of 28,989
Mostly the HE-560 these last 4 months, definitely not the most weighty signature like a T1/LCD can be, but more than the HD800 in the current configuration (while having a more intimate soundstage, which also helps to compensate for the thinness).

I'm growing to like its expert signature, but I'm certainly missing weight/presence. I know the Crack can be limited with it, but it's also supposed to be decent so I'm not sure where I should go from here. Try a Valhalla 2? Wait for a DNA Sonett 2 to go on sale?

Mar 12, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #17,456 of 28,989
I don't think you will have more weight with the sonett.

Just wait a few days more. If your feeling is still there in next weeks, Then the hd800 is not for you.

I've personally never felt any lack of body from all amps I owned. The crack has a 120 ohms headphone output if I remember well. This should add naturally bass body and warmth. If you have the opportunity to try a powerful solid state amp, do it. Ime solid-state amps offer better bass slam.

Mar 12, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #17,457 of 28,989
Thanks for the input :) I believe the Garage1217 Polaris had more bass impact, I distinctly remember being impressed with it. It was probably the most "dry" impact I had heard in headphones. But it also sounded very wide, bright, and overall less musical than the Crack.

I'll keep listening to it for a while, you can hear how much they're headphones you need to get used to over time.

What's more to like with a DNA Sonett? It seems to be well-regarded with the HD800.

Mar 12, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #17,458 of 28,989
  Thanks for the input :) I believe the Garage1217 Polaris had more bass impact, I distinctly remember being impressed with it. It was probably the most "dry" impact I had heard in headphones. But it also sounded very wide, bright, and overall less musical than the Crack.

I'll keep listening to it for a while, you can hear how much they're headphones you need to get used to over time.

What's more to like with a DNA Sonett? It seems to be well-regarded with the HD800.

The Sonett is not known for it is bass performance. If you feel the HD800 is lacking in that environment, you will probably want to look at a different amp, perhaps something more Solid-State like (or a pure Solid-State amp) to help tighten the bass up

Mar 12, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #17,460 of 28,989
IMO, the sonett adds refinement, smoothness, intimacy and a great sense of reality. It tends to add soundstage depth and a better feeling of the background of the music.

Nothing really impressive at the first listen but it grows on you. The sonett is a subtle refined amp.

My 2 cents.

What's your DAC kyno?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back