The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Feb 24, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #17,116 of 28,989

Boring? Nah...

You must've had a gremlin in your system that didn't play nice with the M51. Or a dud unit.. or NAD really did **** up the SQ with firmware revisions beyond 1.39. I just can't fathom how anyone could describe the M51 as boring.

I got a good laugh from your absurd post. Thanks for that.

I wouldn't describe any subjective opinion as "absurd."

Exactly...

You've heard of "Political Incorrectness" well I think we should coin a new phrase for the Internet "Subjectivity Incorrectness" 

(The content of what was said may very well be "absurd", but that is "private" determination for each person to decide for themselves. Being selective in "How"
you say something is at least as important as "What" you've said. We tend to be a bit less social than we could be when we're on the Web)

Feb 24, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #17,117 of 28,989
  As I've mentioned in the M51 impressions thread, I felt like the HD800 sounded like straight up poo with the NAD M51 set at a volume from anywhere between 0-20 dB paired with the ZD.

Once I max out the volume on the ZD and adjust the M51 to a reasonable volume level (~ -28 to -30 dB) the HD800 sings like no other.  While this isn't a thread to discuss the M51, I feel like its impressions paired with the HD800 are a hit or miss based on configuration and personal tastes.

I'm not a big fan of the HD800. And I just didn't think the M51 was a good fit at all. Didn't matter what FW or settings I tried to optimize it for, it didn't work out for me. Just because my experience may be contrary to others doesn't mean they should try to discredit my findings.
Ya'll enjoy the M51, that's great.

I've moved on to bigger and better things, and in the end, I'm happy - that's all that matters.

Feb 24, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #17,118 of 28,989
How long does the frequency response graph usually take to receive?

Feb 24, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #17,120 of 28,989
Yup, I did. Thanks!

Feb 24, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #17,121 of 28,989
  How long does the frequency response graph usually take to receive?

They sent me mine in an e-mail ...took about a week.

Feb 24, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #17,123 of 28,989
  That's strange, I did mine and I was email the graph within a few minutes.

My wait was about a week as well. You must be special
biggrin.gif

Feb 24, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #17,127 of 28,989
People in this thread have stated such things too. The WA7, first of all, has a subpar DAC built-in. Secondly, by the time you upgrade it with the upgrade tubes and get the tube power supply, you're hitting $1500 easily. At that price point, many better amps can be found for the HD800. Heck, Schiit Ragnarok is right there in that price range. Thirdly, the WA7 doesn't let HD800 show it's best quantities, especially micro detail. It makes the sound warm and syrupy. Some people like that. Some don't.

As a amp only, and a starting option, it's a good amp. I'd take a Valhalla 2 at 1/3 the cost for better SQ and value though.

And if you want dead accurate neutral sound with the tightest bass imaginable you opt for the Burson Soloist. When it comes to letting the pure characteristics of rich dynamics out of the HD 800 down to microscopic detail I have yet to hear a better amp that does so, than the soloist. Those Aussies sure can build a killer class A amp!! :wink:

Feb 24, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #17,128 of 28,989
Has anyone here been able to listen to both the HD800 and Stax SR-007? I'm really enjoying my current setup but at the same time really want to hear an electrostatic headphone of that caliber. I have only ever heard electrostatic speakers.

Feb 24, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #17,130 of 28,989
Oh man
Has anyone here been able to listen to both the HD800 and Stax SR-007? I'm really enjoying my current setup but at the same time really want to hear an electrostatic headphone of that caliber. I have only ever heard electrostatic speakers.

Oh man. You are not alone here. I'd love to hear the differences between the stax 009 against the 800. I have a hard time imagining any headphone beating the 800's for overall dynamics. Hell. To my ears the 800's even beat the LCD 3's in this category.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back