The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Sep 2, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #13,516 of 28,976
  That is a lot of money I know.  However, you know how it is when you want something - you go get it at all cost (well almost at all cost).  I looked around trying to find someone who would do it - no takers.  My guy that hardwired all my other headphones would not touch it.  So when I found out about SAA I was like "game on"  Then the price gave me pause.  

I thought about it for about 3 weeks.  It eat at me so much I just gave in and got it done.  James tried to get me to get the Ultra mod as well, but after hearing the Anax mod I decided not to.  Not saying both mods would sound the same.  Hell - I just wanted the hardwire, I said if I feel the need to have the Ultra Mod done I'll send them in.  Well - I don't feel the need.

The cable it self is what cost.  To bad you can't have him hardwire your own cable.  If he did I would have sent him a Norse Cable - much cheaper.  I had to go with what he offered.

Thanks for your thought process. Have you had a chance to compare your hardwired endorphin HD800s to other non-hardwired upgraded cables from Norse or Headphone Lounge (which I typically pick) in terms of sound? Aside from the hardwire benefits, does the endorphin cable actually sound anywhere near it's value? I've seen HD800 cables go anywhere from $200 to $400, but $749 with extra $50 per foot just sounded insane. Thanks for the advice.

Sep 2, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #13,517 of 28,976

Thanks for your thought process. Have you had a chance to compare your hardwired endorphin HD800s to other non-hardwired upgraded cables from Norse or Headphone Lounge (which I typically pick) in terms of sound? Aside from the hardwire benefits, does the endorphin cable actually sound anywhere near it's value? I've seen HD800 cables go anywhere from $200 to $400, but $749 with extra $50 per foot just sounded insane. Thanks for the advice.

I would say no to the bold.  I don't think no cable is worth that much.  

Only from memory.  

This is my third pair of HD800s - I've had a few types of Norse cables on them - could not really tell the difference between the Norse cables but this cable just sounds different from what I can remember.  The HD800s just sound more mature now - less raw. Again only from memory no side by side.

Sep 3, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #13,518 of 28,976
$750 for a cable ? ouch.

Sep 3, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #13,519 of 28,976

Only from memory.  

This is my third pair of HD800s - I've had a few types of Norse cables on them - could not really tell the difference between the Norse cables but this cable just sounds different from what I can remember.  The HD800s just sound more mature now - less raw. Again only from memory no side by side.

My Endorphins have tamed the HD800 significantly, but unfortunately have broken. I have no idea how that happened...

Sep 3, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #13,523 of 28,976

we talk about the same thing. I had the big chance to try the Abyss quietly without any noise around me and I've no doubt about is superior imaging capabilities ( more consistent image with a better sense of mouvement from back to front, more 3D) . We've scrutated those abilities with very specific music.  It seems the settings ( pads positionning anbd head band settings) make a big difference though. 

With big orchestral pieces , it seems the difference was less obvious though :wink:

Thanks for the reply. For sure the conditions at the NY spring meet were not good and I didn't start to fiddle around with the sample of the Abyss to get the fit right.

Only from memory.  

When I was in the market for a balanced HD800 cable, I also came across SAA but with 14 feet that I needed, this was way above what I wanted to spend. I went with a Norne Audio Vanquish (red sleeving) and I am absolutely happy with it. Hard wiring this, might be something I want to explore at some point of time. As you said the best connector is no connector
wink.gif

Sep 3, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #13,524 of 28,976
I am not a cable expert but have owned HD800 for about 2 years now. When I bought them the guy in audio shop suggested Cardas cables to replace the stock cable plus a connector thingy which turns the thick plug into a thin one to fit my ALO headphone amp. I have no idea if they are balanced or not. BUT I first listened with the stock cable and then plugged in the Cardas cable and it was a world of difference, like a fog being lifted. Only nuisance with this Cardas cloth covered cable is that it is very long and develops peculiar bends and kinks which once done cannot undo. I have coiled it up and used ties to shorten it. I suppose the cable will break where it kinks and I have no idea what to do about that.

Sep 3, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #13,525 of 28,976
  I am not a cable expert but have owned HD800 for about 2 years now. When I bought them the guy in audio shop suggested Cardas cables to replace the stock cable plus a connector thingy which turns the thick plug into a thin one to fit my ALO headphone amp. I have no idea if they are balanced or not. BUT I first listened with the stock cable and then plugged in the Cardas cable and it was a world of difference, like a fog being lifted. Only nuisance with this Cardas cloth covered cable is that it is very long and develops peculiar bends and kinks which once done cannot undo. I have coiled it up and used ties to shorten it. I suppose the cable will break where it kinks and I have no idea what to do about that.

Really? A world of difference? I must try a few cables myself soon and see if I can hear anything

Sep 3, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #13,526 of 28,976
Aside from hardwire endorphins, where does cardas fall among all the other Moon Audio, Headphone Lounge, Norse Audio and such.

Sep 3, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #13,529 of 28,976
  omg, just got a pair for myself.  31xxx.
i don't feel the amazingness at first, but it's when I go BACK to the HD-650 that makes me feel like everything is much smaller..

wait till a few weeks pass and then you go back to the HD650. Same thing happened to me except I went - HD650 - T1 - HD800. I eventually sold the HD650 and am in the process of selling the T1. 

What amp you using? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back