The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Feb 1, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #7,861 of 28,989
Interesting, what would the planar tech bring to the party? More authoritative bass?

Some awesome liquid thickness only planars make!

Feb 1, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #7,862 of 28,989
I think that sometimes , but then the HD650 has that and I find it to 'forward' , so I don't know if it would work and allow the soundstage to remain intact?

I'm one of the few that hate the HD600/650  for a lot of things... I like the liquid mids but hate the polite treble... if they only had a little air and a bigger sound stage...

Feb 1, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #7,863 of 28,989
I'm one of the few that hate the HD600/650  for a lot of things... I like the liquid mids but hate the polite treble... if they only had a little air and a bigger sound stage...

So is it possible to get liquid mids with amazing soundstage? I think part of the HD800s 'illusion' is the slightly sucked out mids giving the sense of distance. If you make them more full/liquid suddenly the singer is closer and in your head?. It's a tough compromise!!! Or is it? Can it be done?

Feb 1, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #7,864 of 28,989
Sucked out mids...? HD800...wut??
confused.gif

-Daniel

Feb 1, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #7,865 of 28,989
confused.gif

-Daniel

I agree the HD800 has pretty nice mids... but then so do a lot of Grado's (sorry I know this won't fly here lol) BUT they also lack sound stage... the PS500 AND RS1 are of note in the mids department...

My perfect headphone would be the love child of the PS500 and HD800... which doesn't exist... because they don't have reproductive organs...

Feb 1, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #7,866 of 28,989
Sucked out mids...? HD800...wut?? :confused:

Ok,wrong wording. I actually think the mids on the 800s are 'technically' near perfect. BUT, I feel some body and weight is maybe missing on a subjective level. I can't explain it and I think if it sounded any different it wouldn't preserve the soundstage. Maybe it's because the volume we listen at is decided by the FR. Maybe the other phones go louder in the mids compared to the rest of the range therefore adding more perceived body?

Feb 1, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #7,867 of 28,989

confused.gif

Ok,wrong wording. I actually think the mids on the 800s are 'technically' near perfect. BUT, I feel some body and weight is maybe missing on a subjective level. I can't explain it and I think if it sounded any different it wouldn't preserve the soundstage. Maybe it's because the volume we listen at is decided by the FR. Maybe the other phones go louder in the mids compared to the rest of the range therefore adding more perceived body?

That I could agree with!

Feb 1, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #7,868 of 28,989
I agree the HD800 has pretty nice mids... but then so do a lot of Grado's (sorry I know this won't fly here lol) BUT they also lack sound stage... the PS500 AND RS1 are of note in the mids department...

My perfect headphone would be the love child of the PS500 and HD800... which doesn't exist... because they don't have reproductive organs...

We need a Frankenstein modder for this job!Any volunteers?

Feb 1, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #7,869 of 28,989

I'm pretty much in the same boat! I'm currently looking into amp options - any you suggest that will pair well with both Senn and Grado?

Feb 1, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #7,871 of 28,989

I'm pretty much in the same boat! I'm currently looking into amp options - any you suggest that will pair well with both Senn and Grado?

I've heard the HD800 paired with Graham Slee Solo SRG-II with PSU1, and I think it sounds phenomenal for the price ($700 USD when tested). Sounds quite tube-like, very warm and smooth. It may sound overly warm though. Sadly in the end I went for the WA3 because aesthetically it looks better, and unfortunately things like that do get into my way LOL (plus I wanted to try tube rolling). 

I'm quite sure the Graham Slee Solo Ultra Linear DE (talk about long name) would perform better with both Senn and Grado since I heard the UL version is basically an SRG-II with added treble, something the SRG-II can really use IMO. I've never heard any Grado paired with GSP amp, but many said they make for a very good pairing.

Feb 1, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #7,872 of 28,989
We need a Frankenstein modder for this job!Any volunteers?

Indeed a skilled surgeon might be able to graft bits and pieces necessary for them to breed.

Feb 1, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #7,873 of 28,989
Whoah.. nicely said.. owning both, I would definitely agree!
Quote:
My perfect headphone would be the love child of the PS500 and HD800... which doesn't exist... 

Feb 1, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #7,874 of 28,989

I've heard the HD800 paired with Graham Slee Solo SRG-II with PSU1, and I think it sounds phenomenal for the price ($700 USD when tested). Sounds quite tube-like, very warm and smooth. It may sound overly warm though. Sadly in the end I went for the WA3 because aesthetically it looks better, and unfortunately things like that do get into my way LOL (plus I wanted to try tube rolling). 

I'm quite sure the Graham Slee Solo Ultra Linear DE (talk about long name) would perform better with both Senn and Grado since I heard the UL version is basically an SRG-II with added treble, something the SRG-II can really use IMO. I've never heard any Grado paired with GSP amp, but many said they make for a very good pairing.

Very interesting. I have some research to do, but definitely on the right path based on the specs.  Yeah, I also value aesthetics. I also prefer something that doesn't accentuate the highs.Thanks very much for your recommendation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back