The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jul 27, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #28,306 of 28,989
As a general rule tube amps and the 800's pair well.
That isn't to say SS amps don't, but depending upon your sonic preferences, tubes add harmonic 'richness' which the 800's respond well to.

Also OTL amps can do well with the 800's 300-600Ω+ impedance range.
And inexpensive low cost amp is the Bottlehead Crack which is OTL.
It is a kit but are available already built.

Think of it as a 'fun amp' to compare with your existing amp.

JJ

Does Bottlehead sell pre-assembled Cracks? Or is it just after market sellers?

Jul 27, 2020 at 9:14 PM Post #28,307 of 28,989
I remember that on the bottlehead forum where there were pre-built Cracks available, or those who would build them for you.

JJ

Jul 28, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #28,308 of 28,989
Got a decent HP collection now and I still find the HD800 (original) easily hangs with all of them. Just a technical masterpiece of a headphone with true scalability. Buy them and forget about them, just focus on your ancillaries.

Jul 28, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #28,309 of 28,989
Got a decent HP collection now and I still find the HD800 (original) easily hangs with all of them. Just a technical masterpiece of a headphone with true scalability. Buy them and forget about them, just focus on your ancillaries.

So true. I have not found another headphone that made me say, "yeah, this one destroys the HD800, therefore I will go through the trouble of selling the Sennheiser and buy this instead". With the current prices of flagships going through the roof, the HD800 is not only a technical masterpiece, it is a freaking bargain.

I wonder how many users move on to another model not because they found a better headphone, but because it is the FOTM. One has to learn how to resist the hype trains.

Jul 28, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #28,310 of 28,989
So true. I have not found another headphone that made me say, "yeah, this one destroys the HD800, therefore I will go through the trouble of selling the Sennheiser and buy this instead". With the current prices of flagships going through the roof, the HD800 is not only a technical masterpiece, it is a freaking bargain.

I wonder how many users move on to another model not because they found a better headphone, but because it is the FOTM. One has to learn how to resist the hype trains.

Agreed. If only people knew how much of a bargain, most would have one even if the sound wasn't their preferred signature. They're impressively amenable to EQ and cable changes (obviously source/amp too).

Aug 7, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #28,311 of 28,989
I today received a pair of used 2018 HD800s, unfortunately on excitedly opening the box I noted that the top right sided cable (where the cable splits into two ) has a split in the plastic sheaf that covers the inner cabling. The seller says he didn’t honestly check the cabling that well before despatch, which I guess could be the case as he seems an honest chap when I purchased. Can I apply 4:1 shrink wrap over this split?. It’s about 1 inch in length. I’m a bit gutted to be honest as these cables ain’t cheap by anyone’s imagination to replace.
07EA143E-C325-4B61-868D-D1DCCA0EE88D.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #28,312 of 28,989
Yes that will 'fix' the problem, which at least at this point, is more a cosmetic than a functional issue.

JJ

Aug 8, 2020 at 4:49 AM Post #28,313 of 28,989
Yes that will 'fix' the problem, which at least at this point, is more a cosmetic than a functional issue.

JJ

I have read many posts both here and elsewhere of this outer black sheath splitting only to be repaired and consequently splitting further down the top cabling?.Do you think that putting shrink completely over this Upper dual cable could make it less prone to crack?. I don’t want to have to do this and then in a few weeks have to do it again and then again?. Also are the lower cables wrapped around one another (twisted) at the factory as that cable is twisted all the way to the Jack plug. Not buying these new i don’t know what the cable is like fresh out of the box. Thanks.
Is the silver cable what you can see under the sheath in my picture one continual wrap of wire and if cut would lead to signal loss. Thanks a bunch.

Aug 8, 2020 at 8:04 PM Post #28,314 of 28,989
Say there.
It does seem to be true that once the outer sheath starts to 'break apart' it does not stop.
And putting heat shrink on the whole length of that portion of the cable will make it rather stiff as well.

I don't recall the main portion of the cable being twisted like that but it has been many years since I last saw a stock cable.
Perhaps others will chime in and have a better answer.

The exposed wires you see are the 'shield' (outer wrap) around the inner conductor.
If all of them were cut then yes that channel would go dead, but if just a couple of the strands were broken that channel would still function.

I would suggest an after market cable would be your best option, and used ones can be found for less £'s than a new stock cable.
I mention this because once the outer jacket starts to fall apart it won't stop and eventually replacement is your only option.

an example…
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AUDIO123-5...500498?hash=item25a5443492:g:laYAAOSw34FVCuqW

JJ

Aug 9, 2020 at 6:40 AM Post #28,315 of 28,989
In Europe, customcans.co.uk is a great shop, good prices, good workmanship and materials. No need to pay big money for even a balanced cable.

Aug 9, 2020 at 6:49 AM Post #28,316 of 28,989
Is violectric hpa v281 considered TOTL amp for the HD800. Just ordered my smsl sp200 and saw this v281 for sale in my country for $1250 (second handed). Is it worth the price, any other top/high end amp recommendation for this price range?

Also would Focal Clear be an side/upgrade to the HD800, considering that I got my HD800 for around $500, the clear cost around $900 (both prices for second hand).

Aug 9, 2020 at 6:58 AM Post #28,317 of 28,989
Is violectric hpa v281 considered TOTL amp for the HD800. Just ordered my smsl sp200 and saw this v281 for sale in my country for $1250 (second handed). Is it worth the price, any other top/high end amp recommendation for this price range?

Also would Focal Clear be an side/upgrade to the HD800, considering that I got my HD800 for around $500, the clear cost around $900 (both prices for second hand).

Yes, the 280/281 are really tremendous. I think you will find the THX amps are too sterile for the HD 800 and will not be a good match. The 280/281 is neutral, tank-like build, huge power. The price is fine for one in great condition.

I have not heard the Clear. But I guess it would be warmer than the 800 which is quite analytical and not romantic at all.

Aug 10, 2020 at 5:44 AM Post #28,320 of 28,989
Another problem with my hd800,
My HD800 is modded with internal cable mods (cable is soldered to the inner connector of the hd800 with 3.5mm on the ohter end) and would like to use the 4-pin xlr without paying for another cable mod. For the moment I am still waiting for my smsl sp200 amp and I know that the balanced and SE output is the same (correct me if Im wrong) but I am looking foward to future upgrade to amps with more power in the xlr output. Would the 3.5mm (Female) to balanced xlr (male) improve the sound quality or power output instead of using the 3.5mm to 6.3mm SE convertor? And would it short circuit the amp?
Another option would be to remove the current 3.5mm and solder it to new 4pin xlr. But then the cable would be too short ( current cable lenght is 1m excluding the connector).
Last resort is to replace the whole cable which I am afraid that it might damage the hd800's internal connector pins.
Any suggestion is highly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back