1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by valentinhogea, Feb 10, 2013.
First

Back
1841 1842 1843 1844 1845 1846 1847 1848 1849 1850
  1. Maxx134
    Many younger listeners like the tamed upper frequency sound.

You can get a very tamed neutral effect by combining the felt liner with a SDR insert.

Yet, when using both those together, the trebles and soundstage suffers dramatically .

That's why I suggest using only the Sennheiser foam insert I mentioned earlier, as a solution.
    :)

2. Kukuk
    I find that most people vastly overstate the changes in sound quality moving from one amp or DAC to another. Even between my TA-ZH1ES and my WA2, amps that have polar opposite design philosophies behind them, I hear maybe a 10% difference between them. Between the Sony and my Marantz HD-DAC1, it's more like 0%.

gLer likes this.
  3. gLer
    This is SUCH an important point, and something you learn fairly quickly in this hobby (if you care to listen and compare). There are exceptions, like SS va tube (and different types of tubes), but on the whole you’re absolutely correct. The differences if any are mainly in the amp sections; differences are small if insignificant between most (good, well designed) dacs.

Kukuk likes this.
  4. Got the Shakes
    Does such a thing as an extension exist for the HD 800 cable? I’ve added something to my setup and I need about 3 more feet of length, but I don’t want to spend the money on having a custom cable made.

I guess while I’m at it, it I can’t do an extension where is the best place to have a cable made for a relatively decent price and not lose out on sound quality?

5. JaZZ Contributor
    Grado extension cable for $40? It will certainly degrade sound quality to some degree, depending on how sensitive you are to cable sound. Maybe something like this would be the better deal (of course in adequate length if you can find it).

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  6. JamieMcC
    Give Tom "Paladin79" a pm here on headfi he runs Cables for less in Indiana they do mostly commercial networking stuff but I do know they have done headphone cables in the past.

He will probably recommend some Mogami or Belden star quad microphone cable which is inexpensive and high quality commercial grade cable its what you will find the majority of professional recording studios use for hooking up their microphones. I replaced my original hd800 cable with this and it sounds better than the stock cable to me.

Or just look on ebay search "mogami headphone extension" you will get lots of hits like the one below different lengths colours etc

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mogami-2...119429?hash=item567ec66805:g:~8sAAOSwbdpWVQuA

7. robo24
    Anyone aware of any online stores still selling these new? I realize they were discontinued over a year ago, but they still had them at the SF Sennheiser store a couple months ago, though not sure if they were actually for sale.

8. RCBinTN
    I googled 'em a couple months ago, and there were some sellers offering new HD800 at around US$1,500. They won't last ... better jump now!

robo24 likes this.
  9. yates7592
    Alza in Czech Republic have a pair. Says last pair but that's what it said when I bought mine from there a few months back. They obviously have a small stock left. I was sceptical that they would be brand new and not a return or demo pair. But they were absolutely mint with 53xxx serial number (or 503xx I can't quite remember without checking).

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    robo24 likes this.
  10. treebug
    Did yours come with all the original Sennheiser packaging and contents?

11. yates7592
    Yes everything original including the USB stick.

12. protoss
    I am assuming the offical unit # for HD800 is around #50,000 units ?

Thats a bloody success for Sennhesier! These guys will be here for another 70 years it looks like.

If the calulations are right with discounts and bulks deals. They must of made around $750,000,000 dollars from the HD800 alone. :gs1000smile:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
First

Back
1841 1842 1843 1844 1845 1846 1847 1848 1849 1850