1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by valentinhogea, Feb 10, 2013.
  1. nephilim32
    Yup. As stated. It’s an ALO reference 16 cable. Has 8 copper and 8 silver individual conductors.
    I’ve had it for 5 years now and the Burson as well!
    Using a chord qutest set at 3V RMS to pair with the Burson for the HD 800’s. It is a really good, transparent pairing. Very happy with my set up for the 800’s, however one day I’d love to get an extremely high end tube amp to pair with them. :)

2. nephilim32
    To the above. ^

Yeah. The light and Dark concept is fantastic. Having the difference is so terrific. I recently this year graduated greatly to that concept by picking up an LCD XC. :)
    I am definitely in love with it. I know the LCD XC is not the warmest sounding with in the lcd line up, however for me it sounds quite a bit darker and more bass heavy than my 800’s. :)
    Love it all!
    And lastly. I still think the HD 800’s are still very competitive with the best flagship made headphones today. I’ve tried just about all of them and I can safely say the 800’s still have huge weight!

P+D-MI and Ichos like this.
  3. yates7592
    Has anybody used a 300B SET amp with HD800? Impressions?

4. IkSak
    Hi,

Has anyone tried the HD800 with the Massdrop Cavalli Tube Hybrid and/or the Liquid Carbon?

5. BobJS
    I "Anaxilus" Mod'd my HD800 and it sounds delightful with the Massdrop Liquid Carbon.

OldSkool likes this.
  6. wormsdriver
    Hey guys, I'm looking to buy an hd800 or hd800s for my next headphone purchase. Is there any general consensus on amps under $1000 (new or used) that pair well with these cans? I would like something that could keep up with my dac (rme-adi dac 2) resolution wise.

Separate question, has anybody here used a Graham Slee Solo Ultra Linear Diamond Edition with their hd800's that would care to comment on that pairing?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    FiGuY1017 likes this.
  7. FiGuY1017
    If you can still find one, I can recommend the Airist Audio Heron 5 it’s magic with the HD800’s and a great choice for a endgame amp imo. Just not sure they make them anymore.

wormsdriver likes this.
  8. omniweltall
    The RME is the clean and clear type of sound. The HD800 is also that. I'm thinking something smooth, but still able to exploit HD800's technicalities.

I'm thinking of these 3 on top of my head (in order of preference):
    1. Liquid Platinum
    2. Zana Deux Jr.
    3. MCTH

wormsdriver likes this.
  9. lugnut
    Are they not being produced anymore ?

10. FiGuY1017
    They still have a website, but last time I looked there wasn’t a buy option” there may be now though.

11. omniweltall
    Hold on. I forgot one really good one. The Bottlehead Crack with speedball. Get that one.

12. FiGuY1017
  13. Ichos
    I have read a lot of times that MCTH is on the bright and lean side of things or not?

14. omniweltall
    No amp is perfect. The MCTH can tame HD800's treble peak and maintain its soundstage. I think it would still be a good match for the HD800.

OK. I got it. Get the Bottlehead Crack for now, and save money for the EC Zana Deux S for the HD800.

15. Ichos
    I am getting tired of tube amps....