The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Feb 7, 2019 at 7:40 AM Post #27,136 of 28,989
Shouldn't replacement parts be the same as for HD800S?

Feb 8, 2019 at 12:29 AM Post #27,139 of 28,989
Those metal grill covers (#020 if this is what you are referring to) are p/n 533369 and the last time I checked the price it was ≈ $14 each.

HD800 exploded view.jpg

I have 2 sets that I have removed from my 800's, so if you want a set let me know and we can work out the details.
But I'd also suggest as a possibility, if SQ is high on your priority list , to remove them and see if there is any change for the better, or not.

JJ

Feb 8, 2019 at 2:54 AM Post #27,140 of 28,989
Those metal grill covers (#020 if this is what you are referring to) are p/n 533369 and the last time I checked the price it was ≈ $14 each.

I have 2 sets that I have removed from my 800's, so if you want a set let me know and we can work out the details.
But I'd also suggest as a possibility, if SQ is high on your priority list , to remove them and see if there is any change for the better, or not.

JJ

Yeah I saw that picture but I couldn't find a link to actually buy that part by itself. Do you know where exactly on the site you can buy it?

I'm open to SQ improvements, what is the difference with the grills off? First time I've heard of that making a difference to the sound quality.

Feb 8, 2019 at 3:15 AM Post #27,141 of 28,989
I usually have to call Sennheiser and talk to the repair/parts department to order the parts I need for the 800's.
I've never been able to order them online.

What I noticed after removing the grills was a less veiled acoustic presentation.
Less added resonances that makes for a 'cleaner' experience.

It is (relatively) easy to remove them and then put them back in, to determine if this is an improvement, or not, for you, assuming you have the tools and know what you are doing, etc.
It is one of 3 basic mods I have performed on my 800's.

JJ

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2019 at 3:21 AM Post #27,142 of 28,989
I usually have to call Sennheiser and talk to the repair/parts department to order the parts I need for the 800's.
I've never been able to order them online.

What I noticed after removing the grills was a less veiled acoustic presentation.
Less added resonances that makes for a 'cleaner' experience.

It is (relatively) easy to remove them and then put them back in, to determine if this is an improvement, or not, for you, assuming you have the tools and know what you are doing, etc.
It is one of 3 basic mods I have performed on my 800's.

JJ

Sound interesting, do you have a guide or tutorial handy for removing them? I suppose I'll have to do it if I want to replace them anyway.

Feb 8, 2019 at 3:51 AM Post #27,143 of 28,989
No I don't have a write up, but perhaps there is a you-tube video.
It's really not that hard, assuming you are familiar with performing such delicate tear downs, not to mention putting it all back together, as there are only 6 tiny torx screws.
Just make sure you don't slip with the torx bits and don't force anything.
These 800's are designed very well for being repaired/modified/taken apart and re-assembled, multiple times.

JJ

Feb 8, 2019 at 6:51 AM Post #27,144 of 28,989
No I don't have a write up, but perhaps there is a you-tube video.
It's really not that hard, assuming you are familiar with performing such delicate tear downs, not to mention putting it all back together, as there are only 6 tiny torx screws.
Just make sure you don't slip with the torx bits and don't force anything.
These 800's are designed very well for being repaired/modified/taken apart and re-assembled, multiple times.

JJ

Might have a look on Youtube. Do you mind posting a picture of what it looks like with the grills off?

Feb 8, 2019 at 9:28 PM Post #27,145 of 28,989
Sure, here you go.

Note: I have changed the small mesh screens to felt, in the very center of the driver as well

JJ

IMG_2245.jpg

Feb 9, 2019 at 12:13 AM Post #27,147 of 28,989
I didn't notice much, if any, change at all.
I even tried with it being completely open with the same results.

And yeah I thought I had really messed up and might need all new drivers etc.
I mean that is the center of the driver and the 'back wave port' so to speak, so I was in 'unknown territory' so to speak.
Until I listened, and listened some more as I continued to fuss with this 'change'…

The only reason I changed them was because I inadvertently collapsed one of them, so I pulled it all the way out and listened, then pulled the other side and listened again etc.
All the way until I had installed the felt inserts and have left it that way ever since.
They aren't even glued in…

JJ

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #27,148 of 28,989
I didn't notice much, if any, change at all.
I even tried with it being completely open with the same results.

And yeah I thought I had really messed up and might need all new drivers etc.
I mean that is the center of the driver and the 'back wave port' so to speak, so I was in 'unknown territory' so to speak.
Until I listened, and listened some more as I continued to fuss with this 'change'…

The only reason I changed them was because I inadvertently collapsed one of them, so I pulled it all the way out and listened, then pulled the other side and listened again etc.
All the way until I had installed the felt inserts and have left it that way ever since.
They aren't even glued in…

JJ
Interesting info and experience, thanks. The felt insert reminds me of the SuperDupont Resonator (SDR) that is so popular among many HD800 owners.

Another interesting thread w/some pictures

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back