1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by valentinhogea, Feb 10, 2013.
  1. FiGuY1017
    Wow all this reinforces my happiness with the stock sound ,I wouldn’t personally change anything for my set up...actually both of my set ups. Probably the music I like plays into the equation as well.

2. treebug
    Where did you get the Sennheiser stand?

3. Amberlamps
    Thats the same dudes signature that signed my 800S’s off.

I bet you he is sick of hearing HD800/S headphones.

4. TYATYA
    Bought 2 pcs in my local, in an AVshow. Made of Aluminum. Laser mark in back : Design by elago in California made in Korea.
    It looks very elegance in real life.

Edit : here is 90% close, just lack of Senn vinyl label

elago H Stand [Silver] - [Premium Aluminum][Scratch-Free Padding][Perfect Height] - for Gaming and Audio Headphones https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WGFBAGK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_3Og5BbN3QZSQY

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  5. treebug
    Thanks for that, looks great. I thought it might be a Senn stand!

6. bosiemoncrieff
    One of these days I need to devote a whole day to compiling my HD800/K1000 review into something postable...or /more/ postable.

Rayzilla and FLTWS like this.
  7. yates7592
    Yes please, would be most welcome.

8. xenithon
    Quick question - I typically use Sonarworks on Audirvana with the HD800. I wanted to ask if any uses something like FabFilter (or a similarly customizable EQ) with the HD800 and, if so, if you have recommended EQ settings that are similar to what SW achieves?

9. johnjen
    Since no one else has responded, I'll chime in with what I came up with.

I use Tone Boosters TB FLX4 and TB FLX which are parametric EQ plugins that have been installed in Media Center in the DSP Studio section.

I have written up the settings I use and posted them here, along with a couple of 'companion' tweaks that dovetail well with the EQ I'm (and others) are using.
    https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-diyrs-cookbook.781268/page-15#post_12300653
    https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-diyrs-cookbook.781268/page-24#post_12489775

But by itself Sonarworks is a really good introduction into what is possible using EQ, and what I've done, using the Tone Boosters EQ, is to 'adjust' the FR curve of my 800's to be closer to flat and along with adding the SSBB, which brings up the extreme bottom end all the way up to ≈ 100Hz, the results are most gratifying.

JJ

RCBinTN and xenithon like this.
  10. xenithon
    Thank you so much for that feedback!

Would the resultant EQ settings effectively look like this?

Hz Gain Q
    12 +16 0.55
    60 +2.0 4.0
    362 -2.0 1.29
    1358 +4.5 0.98
    2130 +2.1 2.12
    3556 -0.8 5.0
    5023 +3.5 5.0
    6306 -5.0 5.0
    14550 -4.3 5.0

Ethereal Sound likes this.
  11. johnjen
    It looks like this
    Screen Shot 2018-11-15 at 03.52.53.png
    And what you don't see is that this is running with a wet/dry mix of 90% (which I'm still fussing with, to dial it in).
    This curve is fairly closely matched to what my 800's 'need' as a set of not just corrections but enhancements as well, (think the harmon curves) and a good portion of other EQ adjustments are handled by separate DSP functions so they aren't shown in this one parametric EQ graph.

And I started with an actual curve of my 800's so this curve is actually closely matched to how my 800's actually perform.

I have found that DSP is actually, when used well, quite handy at a variety of audio tweaks.
    Think SSBB and PRT and clipping monitor etc.

JJ

Ethereal Sound likes this.
  12. AutumnCrown
    Question: Does the recent serial number (45xxx) HD800 come with the USB drive with the graph? I don't think mine did, unless I lost it.

13. Ichos
    I believe that the the usb with the graph is only for the HD800s.

14. ColtMrFire
    I was led to believe (or read somewhere), that unlike the HD6x0, the HD800 doesn't change with the condition of the pads. Anyone able to clarify this area?

15. johnjen
    I have repeatedly changed my ear pads, from well used to new, and have not noticed such changes.

However there are changes in SQ simply by the placement on my head.
    Perhaps this is what is being noticed.

JJ

ColtMrFire likes this.