1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by valentinhogea, Feb 10, 2013.
  1. FLTWS
    They aren't available directly from Sennheiser?

2. FiGuY1017
    Just got confirmation that they are :)

3. FiGuY1017
    No just the headband padding

4. alvin sawdust
    On a whim today I decided to clean the cable connections on my HD800 with deoxit, something I haven't done at all since receiving the cans about three years ago. After spraying a little cleaner into both sockets and plugging and unplugging the cable a few times I put the phones on and what an improvement. Improvements in clarity and notably a more punchy and defined bass.
    Well worth the effort and something that is probably overlooked by most. A bit annoyed with myself for not doing this sooner as I regularly clean contacts on the rest of my rig.

DavidA, bosiemoncrieff and yates7592 like this.
  5. yates7592
    Great info thanks John. I record live music at concerts and regularly do the same with contacts on the mic/recorder interface but never thought to use on a headphone rig.

alvin sawdust likes this.
  6. alvin sawdust
    Hi Paul, yes a good habit to get into and definitely worth the effort.

yates7592 likes this.
  7. TYATYA
    Highly recommend gold liquid for cable, daps... SmartSelect_20180802-065723_Google.jpg

alvin sawdust likes this.
  8. johnjen
    I'll second the recommendation of the nano silver and gold in oil.

But clean the contacts 1st, then use the oil as sparingly as possible.

JJ

9. Boogie7910
    Thoughts on the DT 1990 Pro vs HD800 for competitive shooter gaming?

10. Hoegaardener70
    My first thought is ... which ever you use, make sure to use a DAC. I use a creative X7 and it made my sound while gaming much better with loudspeakers and headphones (have the HD800S).

You might find this interesting : https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sennheiser-hd-800-gaming-review.756427/

I am not sure if the DT1990 has driver separation, seems important to me for gaming.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  11. metalicblue
    Just grabed a used pair of HD800's and here to say Hi!
    They are in great condition (little pinpoint dented paint on one cup) except for pads and headband padding. I will replace these anyway. Serial is in 10xxx. Anyone care to guess how old this pair may be?

bosiemoncrieff and Malfunkt like this.
  12. wazzupi
    My pair is 40xxx and is under 2 years old so your pair is quite old 2012 perhaps

13. bosiemoncrieff
    mine is super old. debating getting a newer one for its allegedly lighter sound

14. Svatopluk
    I bought mine around 2010 or 11, the serial number is 078XX and they're still in good condition. They give me no reason to think they will not last another ten years or so.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  15. Vitaly2017