1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by valentinhogea, Feb 10, 2013.
  1. VocaloidDude
    I have so many complaints about this site, I will not even begin listing them.

2. pietcux
    When you unplug the cable the very first time it is like they are glued. This gets easier over time.

3. VocaloidDude
    Yeah. It is kinda crazy, they come out just fine now.

4. VocaloidDude
    How do they get twisted like that?

5. pietcux
    That is you doing it. You probably coil the cable when you store the cans and when you put them in use again you do not look on what you do an create the one twist next time the second and so on. Been there done that, lol. That is the risk when your cable goes to both earpieces.

Evshrug likes this.
  6. BunnyNamedCraig
    how did you damage your finger?
    @pietcux you're a pretty smart guy you know that? I appreciate all the practicality you bring.

After I cleaned my messy desk (gf was on me something fierce about doing that....) I went to rope up my HD800 cord and the same thing happened to me. Where they connect it was a twisted mess. I unplugged them, wrapped the rest of the way and then plugged back in. Wonder if its bad that they get twisted like that over time?

DavidA likes this.
  7. Evshrug
    I actually had a guy in NYC stop me from packing up the HD 800 S I had in my hands, and show me how he coils his cables. Explained how his mic cables at his work never developed a Short because of how careful he always was. What he did was unplug from the amp and lay out the cable so that the 1/4” (6.3mm for you metric folks) plug could rotate freely, and made large loose loops that would complete a circuit at the same time the plug would rotate 360°.

I appreciated the guy’s care for the gear; though I don’t know how much difference it makes from how I wrap mine already, it can’t hurt... so why not do it his way? I think it’s most important to unplug from the amp first so the cable won’t wring itself out, and then have somewhat larger loops of the cable so you don’t put a kink it. Among metalsmiths, a kink or a hard twist is considered “work” done to the metal (in the cable), where the atoms get compressed closer together, and you can’t unkink a cable without applying enough heat (like a blowtorch) to destroy the cable casing.

At home, I don’t coil up my cable at all, unless I want to transport my headphone somewhere. Twisting like Vocaloid’s only comes from turning the headphone while the cable is plugged in... so just stop turning the headphone around and around?

BunnyNamedCraig likes this.
  8. Ojisan
    He is probably doing the classic over/under coiling (Google is your friend if you are not familiar). I do that with all my cables and never had a problem. I used to work 500+ shows/year when I was younger and always used over/under coiling for long run mic cables and such. Figure 8 for big three phase power cables. Zero problems. These simple coiling practice should take you a long way.

Amberlamps likes this.
  9. JamieMcC
    Don't overlook the Beyer T1 for gaming it has superb sound staging and pin point accuracy.

BunnyNamedCraig likes this.
  10. bosiemoncrieff
    For the money (ahem, street price — a fraction of MSRP) it's exceptionally good. On its own merits, I have difficulty thinking of an area in which it pulls ahead. Especially comfort.

11. whirlwind
    I have not been listening to the HD800 much lately,I have been using closed phones as most the time in the evening my wife is watching tv just a few feet away.

With my wife at work I have grabbed the HD800.
    Thought I would post just to say that I have had an epic time with with a couple of Pink Floyd albums.

pink-floyd-division-bell-hd-cover-wallpaper.jpg e11f96e5d1392e886c221ad94baece10.1000x1000x1.jpg

DSC01281.JPG

I could never part with this headphone, just one of those headphones that I feel just keeps on giving. What an epic couple of hours...volume higher than normal :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I am going to buy a new headband and pads...any particular place cheaper than another or are all the Senn replacements parts always the same....I want original Senn pads and headband

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  12. FLTWS
    Pretty sure I got mine on Amazon 2 years ago, clear plastic bag with blue and white cardboard seal and all the Senn printing I expected to see.
    upload_2018-7-9_15-23-33.png

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    MWSVette and whirlwind like this.
  13. BobG55

Damn that's a nice looking amp Whirlwind. Is that the 2359Glenn Studio Custom OTL ? I'd love to listen to the HD800 w/ that amp, I'll tell you.

whirlwind likes this.
  14. whirlwind
    Hi @BobG55

Thanks for the kind remarks. This particular amp is 2359Glenn Studio EL3N amp.

BobG55 likes this.
  15. BunnyNamedCraig
    Like the saying always goes-

"When the wifes away, the Glenn and HD800 will play."

BobG55 and whirlwind like this.