1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by valentinhogea, Feb 10, 2013.
  1. georgelai57
    The perforated gauze lining on the inside of the ear cups of my just under 2 year old HD800 has started to peel away. This is despite babying the product and always keeping it in the box when not in use. It has never been used outside the house.

Either the adhesive used is not good enough for the tropics or it was not applied properly during assembly. Has anyone had this problem?

Sennheiser Singapore has said it is wear and tear but they will waive the labor costs. My contention is how can a part of the product that is not subject to any contact whatsoever fail because of alleged wear and tear? Maybe the sound waves caused the wear and tear :frowning2:

2. Hoegaardener70
    This is a very old question, but I could not find an answer. Any feedback available on the LQi cables in general? Thanks

3. connieflyer
    I would agree with the concensus on the HD 700 being a good compromise. I have had the Senn 380HD Pro, closed phones and they were quite good for gaming and not bad for music. Moved up to {two!} pair of 650's, then the 800 and 700. The 800 definitetly is great for most music, the 700's seem to be a good all around phone. I do have a tube amp, the Feliks Audio Euforia and with the 800 and select tubes if is fantastic. The dac's I have are the Schiit Gungnir mulit-bit using the usb 5 gen, and a PS Audio Dac. Also wanted to try the planar sound and bought a used 400I, which I found was good for gaming as well. Not so much for music with the tube amp, as the impedance is low on the planar phones. In my experience it is phones, then amp and last dacs. I have recently gone to a Cambridge music player so I can stream all my media and will be selling off the dacs as surplus. I have not seen too many places in Mich either that have phones to try and compare to. Nice to see you are still around @DavidA.

4. pietcux
    Could you please put a picture of your issue? To me the perforated gauze is self exchangeable cloth replacing time is a few seconds.

5. FLTWS
    My black, perforated liners were never glued in.

Underneath that is what looks like a plastic covered (both sides) fine metal mesh around the driver housing basket? I guess anything that pokes that from inside or outside could cause a problem that might look like its coming apart. I've seen photos of some that have been creased but never separated.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  6. BunnyNamedCraig
    I have a very old pair of HD800's and I just recently did some pad swapping and saw that my liners were not glued in. I never knew if they were or not to begin with though. Whats the consensus on this?

Evshrug likes this.
  7. pietcux
    Not glued. Same as on the HD700. Maybe tucked firmly under the earpads. It should even have a spare part number

Evshrug, bearFNF and FLTWS like this.
  8. bearFNF Contributor
    On mine, there is a liner shaped like a cup tucked into the earpad that is not glued and what I would call a black flat filter or "screen" over the black swirly chamber under the liner that is adhered to the chamber.
    The shaped cup or liner has the Sennheiser logo formed into it.

Evshrug likes this.
  9. pietcux
    This is more than 6 years old and in perfect shape. No signs of wear. 20180619_104851.jpg

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    Evshrug and FLTWS like this.
  10. hollis7
    one question i never see answered: since dekoni pads are thicker, could swapping default pads for dekoni ones affect - reduce- sound leakage? i'm surprised how these headphones leak sound outside, much more than other average open headphones - excluding some planars of course-

11. VocaloidDude
    What the hell is this? Why does this happen? Also, why can't I unplug the headphone cables? It's like they're jammed in there.

[​IMG]

Edit. I ripped them out and damaged my finger on my desk. Ugh.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  12. VocaloidDude
    Why on earth did head fi downgrade to this god awful format? The posting capabilities on this new site are so low. I couldn't even copy paste an image from my clipboard. I had to upload it to imgur and now I can't even customize the size. I hate this layout so much.

13. johnjen
    Do you see the "Upload a File" button (lower right) in a new post window?

It works rather well.

JJ

14. VocaloidDude
    You're really not getting my complaint. On the old website you could right click on an image and copy paste it onto the page. It would immediately ask you what size you wanted to upload the file in. You're a pretty cheeky guy, but it should be ironic for you to know that I did use the upload feature and for some reason the picture didn't appear when I tried that. It's really nice of you to fill me in on that though, maybe next time it will work and you'll be right. Sorry.

15. pietcux
    Jude explained at length that they did not want to change the site, they were forced to. And yes the old version had some nice features, but that's history. I have no problem to upload any picture from pc, tablt or smartphone. If I want to rezize the picture, I take it first and do it on the phone.

BunnyNamedCraig likes this.