1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by valentinhogea, Feb 10, 2013.
  1. TYATYA
    No, it is HD800s and stock color is black

2. RCBinTN
    Aye, the advent of compressed, lossy digital music!

My son-in-law listens to music from his phone.
    One day, I loaned him my AK240 that contains 16/44.1 FLAC music.
    The look on his face was precious...it was an illuminating realization for the dear boy!

:)

3. bearFNF Contributor
    Have done mini meets at work with some "just out of college" new hires and got the same reaction. I have given them guidance in their upgrade path now.

RCBinTN likes this.
  4. BunnyNamedCraig
    GOOD! I love getting that reaction from people I play music to. You get the feeling like you enlightened them ha.

The HD800 is such a special can to play for people that have never experienced "good sound". The spaciousness and speed is so excellent.

whirlwind, FiGuY1017 and RCBinTN like this.
  5. VocaloidDude
    Alright, I bit the bullet. I ordered the Sennheiser HDVA 600. Will report back with impressions by Wednesday, hopefully.

ruthieandjohn likes this.
  6. johnjen
    I just finished modding my 'B' set of 800's and listened to them just now.

I think this newer set will eclipse my 'A' set, at least if my very preliminary impression holds up.

And once they settle in I'll measure them both and compare their differences.

Thus far the 'B' set have exceeded my expectations, but it's still early in the evaluation.

JJ

7. VocaloidDude
    Scratch that. I just found out you can get the same amp for much cheaper. Cancelled my order, probably will need to order again when I get my refund. So not going to get it by Wednesday most likely.

8. treebug
    Good choice!

9. streamline
    I did a lot of research and got a Vali 2, along with a larger than usual assortment of tubes. The Vali 2 with vintage bugle boy is so sweet and musical. My HD800 has the SDR mod and with this combo I'm not bothered by any treble peaks at all. The other amps I have on hand are a Mjolnir 1 and Benchmark DAC1 Pre. While I can recognize the superior technicalities of the SS amps, it's also very easy to see why so many people prefer good tubes with HD800 -- it's just so much more organic and engaging, without going too warm and gooey. So count me another Vali 2 convert -- for $125 (used+vintage tube) it's such a deal.

10. wazzupi
    I just bought a used HD800 and was looking to change cables/Pads also it has a 44000 serial number so its relativily new right ? (under 2 years old) ? any suggestions recommendations would be greatly appreciated !

11. Tranman409
    Can't thank you enough for this. The cable came in today and will be extremely careful to make sure it doesn't happen again. I will pay it forward when I see an opportunity

OldSkool likes this.
  12. pietcux
    I did stick to the original pads. I replaced them on my used 7 year old unit plus the headband pad. On the cable side I took a Forzaaudioworks Hybrid Noir 1,5m terminated in 4.4mm Pentacon to be able to run them balanced from my Sony WM1A DAP. I also installed the SDR mod from @Sorrodje. That one creates very nice reduction of the nasty treble spike of the HD800 which can bother with some records. It is easy to apply, took me less than 15 minutes.

Sorrodje and wazzupi like this.
  13. wazzupi
    Thank you

14. WilliamLeonhart
    I prefer my "Little Dot clone", but the Vali 2 is a good choice especially at the price you got. One thing special about the Vali 2 is that it can drive low-imp cans without any problem, something my tube amp cannot do. Because your HD800 is modded I'm not sure how the Vali 2 will factor in removing the peak, but on my Vali 2+ with a Siemen tube it was still audible, though barely so.

streamline likes this.
  15. VocaloidDude
    Just ordered the SENNHEISER HDVA600 for 600 dollars.

wazzupi likes this.