The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Mar 15, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #26,537 of 28,989
Well the Havana has finally left the system after 2 plus years it is now for sale. The red wine Bellina bumped it out of its prestigious space. The HD800 tells no lies and they tell me the Bellina is a little quieter in my current set up. Micro dynamics are more noticeable / forward. If I am to have the HD800 I must attempt to pull out its strengths :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Mar 18, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #26,538 of 28,989
Dekoni Premium Ear Pads for Sennheiser HD 800 up in massdrop if anyone wants

Mar 19, 2018 at 7:27 AM Post #26,539 of 28,989
@joespride

Read through this thread, I was impressed! I have an amp for both my Planar's and Dynamics only thing left to do is upgrade both at some point in the future lol though I'm not sure what. Might go with a nicer Hybrid or who knows!

Let me ask what Hybrids have you guys enjoyed? I remember that @Luckbad really enjoyed his Liquid Crimson, and it certainly sounds like it might be a good way to go though have any of you had better luck running a Tube Pre into a Class A Solid State? For totl amplifiers what have you guys found to work well with both something like the HD 800 and LCD 2

Hi I have had very good results running a tube pre into class A solid state power amps and have used that combo with great success with my HE-6
Have a look at the Bottlehead Sex tube amp while its not a TOTL amp for the money it is seriously good and it works very with both the HD800 and LCD 2

https://bottlehead.com/product/single-ended-experimenters-kit-3-for-headphones-sensitive-speakers/

Review and comparisons here

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bot...-comparison-thread-crack-sex-mainline.683012/

Mar 19, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #26,540 of 28,989
Hi I have had very good results running a tube pre into class A solid state power amps and have used that combo with great success with my HE-6
Have a look at the Bottlehead Sex tube amp while its not a TOTL amp for the money it is seriously good and it works very with both the HD800 and LCD 2

https://bottlehead.com/product/single-ended-experimenters-kit-3-for-headphones-sensitive-speakers/

Review and comparisons here

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bot...-comparison-thread-crack-sex-mainline.683012/

I might give it a shot! I know a builder, so I wouldn't have much trouble getting one put together.

Mar 20, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #26,542 of 28,989
please guide me

If I want to choose between the two, what happens to the hd800s?
Because I'm really confused
Some say i choose v280.
But some others say i choose m9.
and RS 08

Are you talking about the Violectric v280 & Audio-GD Master 9?

I would think the Master 9 would be a better choice. The V280 is a step below the V281, which is what would really compete with the Master 9.

Not sure what the RS 08 is?

Mar 25, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #26,543 of 28,989
Recently set up vinyl playback using a Kenwood KD550, Shure V15/3 Cart, Schiit Mani, Schiit SYS, Cleaning Vinyl Via VPI16.5, Amp is the ampsandsound Kenzie improved ...............And I must say it sounds damn nice, I do think the cartridge needs tweaking I am awaiting a geo disc for alignment, and a digital scale for tracking force. I may keep an eye out for a better tonearm.......Our work is never done :frowning2:

Mar 27, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #26,546 of 28,989
good evening ladies and gents.
since a few week i'm a proud owner of a second hand hd800. the price was very good, the condition of the cans in terms of scratches not so much. So i did a paint job by myself and installed the sdr mod. the serial number is 38XXX. It was a bit risky, because i never heard the hd800 by myself. But i love this cans. My imagination of the hd800 was: analytical with a bit lack of bass (nothing you could not control with mods or eq).... when i first listen them with the lyr 2 with LISST tubes my opinion was: analytical:yes . lack of bass: not for me. I like how the hd 800 reproduces the low frequencies! Maybe i will remove the sdrmod. not sure yet.Here a picture:

DSC00750.JPG

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #26,547 of 28,989
Great Looking cans.............................From many of the reviews I too had the impression that HD800 was analytical, dry, bright and lacking in bass. Soon as I heard my first pair I knew the reviews were distorted at best. The HD800 is a superb can in all aspects of the sound spectrum IMHO.........

Apr 1, 2018 at 12:10 AM Post #26,549 of 28,989
Anyone have any impressions on how the Dekoni Fenestrated sheepskin pads sound on the HD800?
I just received a pair of these and installed them yesterday.

Thus far what I've noticed the most is the soundstage has receded away from 'me'.
Also the bass impact has softened a bit.
And it seems as though I'm missing something, but I'm still figur'n on that.
I need to play more (different genrés of) music and get more of a handle on the changes.

IOW the changes are subtle and most might not hear them.
And for some these changes may be desirable.

As for the question is this 'better', for me, I'll need more time to acclimatize and after that I'll switch back to stock pads, and then after that remove the 'dust shield'.
And so it goes.

JJ

Apr 1, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #26,550 of 28,989
I agree with JJ on the fenestrated sheepskin, I went back to the regular sheepskin. Did not care for the change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back