The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by valentinhogea, Feb 10, 2013.
First

Back
1750 1751 1752 1753 1754 1755 1756 1757 1758 1759
1761 1762 1763 1764 1765 1766 1767 1768 1769
Next

Last
  1. claud W
    If you read the Stratus and Stellaris threads, you will realize that these are HD 800 amps. Even the Super Dupont mod inventor is a Stratus owner and thread poster. If you want to see a beautiful headphone amp, Go to Donald North Audio website.
    I have 10 more months to wait for my Stratus. Meanwhile I have my Cavalli LC 2.0 and Ragg to entertain me.

2. astrostar59
    I think I would term that as fatigue, as in annoying treble. If the HD800s is easier to live with, that may suit my tastes better. I heard it at Can-Jam on 2 Senn amps and was under whelmed. Quite possibly it will rock on bigger meatier maps.

3. paradoxper
    You trying to jump ship, Julian? :kissing_smiling_eyes:

bosiemoncrieff likes this.
  4. ahmadfaizadnan
    Has anyone had any chance to try the hybrid dekoni pad with HD800? Curious on the sound. If it changes a lot and not for the better, I might gonna go for the standard elite velour.

5. bearFNF Contributor
    Mine will be here on the 27th. I report back.

6. ahmadfaizadnan
    Looking forward to it!

7. PinkyPowers
    Ordered the Sheepskin off Massdrop. Can't wait to try them. I'm curious if things like bass will increase and a little worried if the treble might get hotter.

8. Mshenay Contributor
    Curious to hear how the pads improve things! Happy to see Dekoni have their own measurements up for the pads

I'm pretty content with mine as it. Just need a new cable, not to sure about the MD one though I'll likely wait to have one built by a friend, non the less digging into the HD 800 again tonight! An wow! I'm always surprised by all the little things that pop out at me every time I put these on

9. heliosphann
    Ordered the Elite Velour and Sheepskin pads from Massdrop. This will force me to give my HD800 some attention. It seems to get lost with all the latest "flavor of the week".

10. Mshenay Contributor
    I went with basic old Stock pads and SDR Mod, not sure I want to mix the pads and the mods. I like the tonal balance as is!

Cable wise what do you guys like? I've only used Toxic Cables in the past and frankly I was impressed, but his build time is atrocious and it'll be shipping from the UK so that's even MORE wait time. But I'd like to have a bit more resolve from my HD 800 and a cable seems to be the next step, at least before I get a whole new dac/amp [which might take all of next year to find/demo/explore]

My other option as suggested by our ... less polite more volatile and very DISTANT neighbors is from Ted Allen, 2 things, his prices are pretty solid, and he seems to be well received! Plus his response time's are insanely fast... has any one had a good experience with him as well, I would imagine so? Price wise it's similar between the two, before any discounts promo's ect... at this point though I guess I'm just double checking on Ted. As frankly, I don't want to wait for a Toxic cable... unless a MASSIVE amount of you feel it's just THAT MUCH better

11. bearFNF Contributor
    Well, so far I am not liking the Hybrid for either comfort or SQ, they ssseem to exssaggerate the "ssss" in wordsss and I do not like the velour as compared to the leather. Gets uncomfortable for me after a while.

The fenestrated sheepskin seems to "eat" the sound, it seems to loose definition and makes the stage seem somewhat hollow.

So the upshot so far is that I am liking the elite sheepskin the best so far.

LOL, another note, when I first got them right off the UPS truck they were hard as a rock, thought something was wrong, It was -25F that day so they were just reeally cold. Once they warm up they are pretty soft and conform well when wearing them.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  12. Mshenay Contributor
    How do the Elite Sheepskin compare to stock then?

13. bearFNF Contributor
    To me it seems that the elite sheepskin are more comfortable and the stage seems to be slightly larger with more 'sense' of the stage.
    I am kind of surprised i notice the Location/positional cues more readily with the elite pads.
    It is not a huge difference but noticable to me.

I forgot to mention that this is all with the SRD mod still installed. I may take it out later to see what happens but so far i see no need to remove it.

14. Mshenay Contributor
    That's worthwhile! These may be worth listening too, I'm looking over cable options at the moment... I'm kinda drawn towards OCC Silver but I worry about the... edge. I've got nothing but OCC copper for most of my headphones at the moment... A larger sense of stage might be due to some additional thickness on the part of the pads maybe? Either way, good to hear precision takes a step forward... maybe a copper cable and these pads might be better than the added cost to go silver

15. bearFNF Contributor
    I am using "Q" french silk cable with mine. (ultra-fine stranded Type 2 copper litz)

First

Back
1750 1751 1752 1753 1754 1755 1756 1757 1758 1759
1761 1762 1763 1764 1765 1766 1767 1768 1769
Next

Last