The New HD 560S: Linear Acoustics at a Breakthrough Value
Jan 28, 2021 at 5:44 AM Post #2,027 of 2,621
I do, but I'll use it when the shorter cable arrives. Besides the equatorial weather over here is just too warm headphones these days.

Oof, yeah that makes sense. And yeah I wish these came with another shorter cable included, the stock cable is nice but longer than I actually need, haha. My DAC/Amp has a 6.3mm output though so I think any short cable I get will require me to use an adapter, blah. I can't seem to find any short cables with a 6.3mm connection that is compatible with Senn's 2.5mm proprietary locking connection at the other end.

What cable did you order?

Jan 28, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #2,028 of 2,621
Jan 28, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #2,030 of 2,621
Oof, yeah that makes sense. And yeah I wish these came with another shorter cable included, the stock cable is nice but longer than I actually need, haha. My DAC/Amp has a 6.3mm output though so I think any short cable I get will require me to use an adapter, blah. I can't seem to find any short cables with a 6.3mm connection that is compatible with Senn's 2.5mm proprietary locking connection at the other end.

What cable did you order?

Ordered the original short cable for the HD 599, but they won't be in till sometime next month.

Jan 28, 2021 at 7:34 AM Post #2,031 of 2,621
I miss the old-days of korn! :grinning:

@volly me too, this is my youth

And the children are born.
Your feeling through me, I, I, I
We're the children of the Korn.

:smirk: :L3000:

Ordered the original short cable for the HD 599, but they won't be in till sometime next month.

Ah, I see. That's the one I'll probably end up getting unless I can find one compatible with Senn's locking-mechanism but ending in a 6.3mm plug.

Jan 28, 2021 at 8:13 AM Post #2,032 of 2,621
@volly me too, this is my youth
I was 'lucky' to be born with Faith No More, Mr Bungle, Guns N Roses, Smashing Pumpkins, etc....what at time! Korn when they first come up was brilliant! Alt-Rock was soooooo good back then but I don't deny myself from other new artists out there!

Music is Our biggest accomplishment!

Jan 28, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #2,033 of 2,621
As I said earlier (welcome to the thread by the way!), of the thousand or so units, there are just a few cases reported here. Customer support is the best course of action if an issue is detected right now... let’s be careful not to damage the headphones.

Meanwhile, the enclosure and screw system has been largely unchanged since the HD 5x9, HD 5x8, and HD 5x5 generations of products. It’s been a proven design, and any individual unit with issues should be able to be permanently fixed without much trouble. Still, feedback is being received and shared with the teams, and give Sennheiser a clear step to evolve support.
Data is always helpful...few, as in less than 10? If so, that means over 99% of the products so far have no reported QC issues regarding the enclosure and screw system...yes?

Obviously this QC rate could change over time; would be interesting to keep track of this as time goes by.

Just one data point, but my experience with 5xx headphones?

I bought the HD558 6 or 7 years ago...still going strong; bought the HD598cs 2 or 3 years ago...also still going strong. Recently listened to an old pair of HD585's in a used audio store and they sounded great as well.

Might just be lucky with my headphones though! :beerchug:

TBH, since I moved away from 2.1 channel speaker setups to headphones, I've had many (too many) headphones over the past 8 years. Only two of them have had problems. One was a used purchase from Amazon Warehouse (returned), the other was a set of cans that I threw in the trunk of my car (packed with golf clubs and other stuff). Forgot about them for over a year and now just one side works...probably a wire came loose and needs resoldering...haven't opened them up to check. Think that one's on me! :wink:

Jan 28, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #2,037 of 2,621
What are the chances of ordering from a different retailer to try and get some of these from a different batch? Is that how it works? I'm desperate to get my hands on a good set

That's exactly what I did. I got my first pair directly from Sennheiser and returned it. My second pair came from Amazon and it had the exact same problem so I returned it too. Both units were buzzing/rattling only on the right earcup when playing bass.

Jan 28, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #2,038 of 2,621
That's exactly what I did. I got my first pair directly from Sennheiser and returned it. My second pair came from Amazon and it had the exact same problem so I returned it too. Both units were buzzing/rattling only on the right earcup when playing bass.
Thats unlucky, but someone ordered one only and it was totally fine. If you can return it, it worth a try to order another pair, but if you can’t, the only thing you can do is to wait till they sort the problem out. @TomD
The AKG K-371 also had screw problems, what they fixed by now.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #2,040 of 2,621
I don't see how attempting to tighten the screws back up is damaging the headphones
Over tightening would be the issue. There is a point where the threads inside the headphone can be broken and stripped, at which point that whole part of the earcup would need to be replaced. It is easy to get a lot of leverage on small screws, and apply too much torque force and strip the threads. At that point, it would feel like the screw can keep twisting freely without resistance or a sense of a “stop” point.

Therefore, if a person is not hearing an issue, then I would advise against tightening the screws more.
If a person is hearing an issue, then it could be due to any number of factors, maybe a screw or maybe something else.

Would still be a crapshoot.
Not really, the surefire way to solve a problem, if you have one, is to send it to Sennheiser for warranty repair.

Consider that these are the same enclosure molds and screw system as have been in place since the HD 555 and HD 595 generation. There’s about 15 years of good history... any problem units will be small in number. And if you’re worried about a “bad batch,” then fix it instead of exchanging 😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back