The new country music.
Nov 10, 2004 at 12:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Mr.PD

Lives to Take It Outside.
I was reading a magazine yesterday called "Tracks". There was an article about the recent changes in country music. Artists like Big and Rich, and Kid Rock and even Jack White have broken into the Nashville scene. They mentioned a song by Loretta Lynn and Jack White called Portland Oregon. I turned on the TV and went to CMT to see what I have been missing. I got to hear Portland Oregon and I rather liked the song.
I have heard bits and pieces of other new country songs that sounded almost like classic rock. Is this the direction country music is heading? A more rock and roll feel to it? If so, sign me up as a country fan.
icon10.gif

I want to hear about other new country artists that don't fit the mold for moldy old country. Anybody have some recommendations?

Nov 10, 2004 at 1:56 PM Post #2 of 15
Not sure of the newest treads (I know Kid Rock has that whole redneck/Nascar thing going on, but country?), but the whole alt.county movement of a few years back tried to recombine the two and wrestle it back from Garth and company.

You may want to look into:
Steve Earle
Lucinda Williams
Neko Case
Whiskeytown
Wilco
even Clem Snide and Ass Ponies

And by the way the Lynn/White Van Lear Rose and White on the Cold Mountain soundtrack are worth picking up. Both more Americana than Rock, but that can be kinda hard hitting too.

Nov 10, 2004 at 6:58 PM Post #3 of 15
I have a couple Lucinda Williams CDs. I like her quite a bit.
Wilco was another name mentioned along with Uncle Cracker.
I need more responses. Or I am going to have to have the TV set to CMT all day.
tongue.gif
My wife will think I flipped.
icon10.gif

Nov 11, 2004 at 5:18 PM Post #4 of 15
Welcome to the Town of Y'allturnitive -- Population 3,493. SALUT!

Nov 11, 2004 at 5:31 PM Post #5 of 15
Hehe! This could fast become my favourite thread!! I love country music! Anyone heard Greg Wilson? Great guitar!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 12, 2004 at 11:38 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.PD
I have heard bits and pieces of other new country songs that sounded almost like classic rock. Is this the direction country music is heading? A more rock and roll feel to it? If so, sign me up as a country fan.
icon10.gif

I want to hear about other new country artists that don't fit the mold for moldy old country. Anybody have some recommendations?

I haven't hear this stuff. I was somewhat exploring blue grass. it was 'New Country' that I found intolerable, moldy old country I can handle better.

PD, I know you like AC/DC. I know it's not what you're after but it pops to mind.
wink.gif

A Hillbilly Tribute to AC/DC

Nov 12, 2004 at 1:15 PM Post #7 of 15
Perhaps one of the best-kept secrets in music is the fact that more and more amazingly talented musicians, writers and singers have migrated to country. Of course, it remains a secret because so many people just refuse to listen to country music based on principle, believing it to be populated with no-talent hicks or based on their concern that listening to country will be taken by others to indicate a lack of sophistication.

Certainly, as in any genre, country music has its share of schlock to be avoided. But, if you're willing to give it a chance, it has much to offer.

Love vocals and harmony? Try Rascal Flatts "Bless the Broken Road" or "I'm Movin' On".

Love southern rock? Try most anything by Montgomery Gentry (e.g. Hillbilly Shoes).

Love a more traditional country/bluegrass sound? Try Allison Krause.

Want just to hear some kick-a** musicianship? Try Brad Paisley's "Two Feet of Topsoil" or Keith Whitley's "Lucky Dog".

Want to laugh out loud? Try Billy Ray Cyrus' (yes, Billy Ray Cyrus) "Burn Down the Trailer Park".

Want to hear the future of country, country music without prejudice? Try Big and Rich's "Rollin'" or "Save a Horse".

Nov 13, 2004 at 7:36 AM Post #9 of 15
CMT has turned to shiat ever since MTV Networks bought them. Prove it you say? If you have 2 tvs put them side-by-side... one on CMT the other on VH-1. They both look the same. Prove it some more? I work/worked on a ton of CMT shows and have seen the gradual decline and force-fed crap they're forcing on the general public. For that matter the reason why the Grand Ole Opry is no longer on CMT is they wanted to dictate who was going to be on the show and program it as they see fit. Pete Fisher said thanks but no thanks and moved to Great American Country. Props to him for not putting up with what the corporate machine wanted. Unfortunately CMT is in a high profile position to spoon-feed the public. CMT is not a good barometer to judge what's popular and current since they (MTV Networks) dictate what is considered "hot". They get all their videos for free. What they say is hot doesn't always reflect what the rest of the nation thinks.

Alot of people think Garth came up with something new and original. All he did was take a live KISS show experience and brought it into the country realm. Think about it... you would never see a hardcore country fan at a KISS concert. As such they would have never seen the pyrotecnics and flying by wire that all of the rock & roll people are familiar with. To them it was a new experience and it took off like wildfire.

I've been in Nashville since 1987. I've worked in the TV biz since then as well. In alot of aspects the state of country music is not very healthy. There are a ton of artists that don't even play on their own albums even to this day.

Rascal Flatts...
I admit they're entertaining... and I worked on the Melt On The Beach DVD... but I really wonder where they'll be in 10 years. Think they'll be like a Johnny Cash? Doubt it.

Montgomery/Gentry...
Not exactly the standard mode. These guys are pretty cool.

Alison Krauss...
Truly talented. What you hear on her cds is exactly what she sounds like. Just unbelievable. One year at one of the radio and records convention when she was starting out she performed for a whole bunch of radio DJs and radio station people. As soon as she started performing their mouths dropped open. She's really that good. Unfortunately she's f*kcing crazy as well... but that doesn't surprise me. Someone who is that talented usually has some strange sort of quirk, but I'll say one thing... she can sing her ass off. I'm afraid I can't go into any personal tidbits because as you know what happens on the road stays on the road.

Brad Paisley...
We just did an edit for his new music video Mud On The Tires. Brad actually came in and supervised the edit. Very smart and technically savvy person. Alot of artists who come in to view their stuff in progress are usually taken aback and have no idea what we're doing. Not Brad. He knows quite a bit about editing and knows his stuff on the computer side as well. I had no idea he was a fantastic picker until I talked to one of our editors who plays guitar as well. He's really good... no faking in the studio for him on anything.

Billy Ray Cyrus...
I know he's gotten some grief over the years... especially since he exploded pretty quick in the 90s. I will say one thing... he's really great with his fans. One night he was on the Crook and Chase show back when he was in huge demand. Usually when we have an artist they would come out and do a number and then very briefly banter with the audience during a commercial break. Afterwards they would be out the door to the bus or off with their handler. That night when Billy Ray was on he stayed after the show was over and talked, posed for pictures, and signed everything that the fans there wanted. He stayed an additional 2 hours and didn't leave until he had personally talked to or posed with everyone. Nobody does that folks... nobody. People have heard the story about the one FanFair where Garth signed things for like 20 hours straight without taking a break. Let me tell you... Billy Ray was doing that when he first started out and even at the height of his popularity long before Garth did. Pretty nice guy I hear.

Big & Rich...
Future of country music? Dunno... kind of hope not. They're a manufactured duo. And when I say that it essentually means both of them were on the same label as solo acts and some labelhead decided "Hey... let's combine these 2 guys together and see how it goes." That being said they've done very well and have had great sucess. They and Gretchen Wilson aren't exactly the standard country types. I'm rather surprised with Gretchen. I'm floored that she's done as well since she's not the standard cookie-cutter female artist like a Faith Hill... more style over substance. Did you see the CMAs this year? Gretchen actually sang her performance. Shania Twain lippedsynched hers. What does that tell you?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that country music shouldn't evolve and always has to have cowboy hats and horses. But I'm rather alarmed at the stuff we're being shoved down our throats as the "future" or "next best thing". You can't predict that kind of thing. It developes a life of it's own and gradually grows. You can't spoon-feed the public this artist or that.

Nov 13, 2004 at 11:16 AM Post #10 of 15
Archosman - thanks for the great insights! By the way, I only referred to Big and Rich as the future of country music to the extent that they might be representative of a trend that allows the genre to expand to include additional flavors. As to whether they have the talent to sustain, I have my doubts.

Nov 13, 2004 at 4:47 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by bahamaman
Archosman - thanks for the great insights! By the way, I only referred to Big and Rich as the future of country music to the extent that they might be representative of a trend that allows the genre to expand to include additional flavors. As to whether they have the talent to sustain, I have my doubts.

They have done exceptionally well considering they don't fit in the standard cookie-cutter mold of say Tim McGraw/Kenny Chesney/Flatts... excetera. Some labelhead had a pretty good unconventional idea. Our company did most of the editing work for the CMAs as well as the cut-down and international versions of the show. For that matter we're right on Music Row as well!

Nov 13, 2004 at 5:53 PM Post #12 of 15
So, some of this new stuff is being fed to us via CMT. Okay, does that make it all bad? I see your point archosman, but should I take it to mean that all of these acts aren't any good?
Just for the record, I am not a big fan of country or western music (thanx blues brothers)
icon10.gif
. But, I do enjoy some of it. Right now I am listening to one of my favorite CDs; Waylon Jennings Greatest Hits. I only have a few country CDs, and one bluegrass. My bluegrass is a Flatt and Scruggs 2 disc collection. I tend to like the more faster type country music. Waylon, Hank Williams Jr. But I have a soft spot for Johnny Paycheck, and there are a few John Anderson songs that touch my soul (literally).

My wife was very upset with the video of Portland Oregon by Lorreta Lynn and Jack White. She thought Lorreta was stooping pretty low to do that video. She thinks Big and Rich's Save a Horse song is obscene.

Didn't Alison Krauss do some of the music for Oh Brother Where Art Thou??

Nov 14, 2004 at 6:27 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

So, some of this new stuff is being fed to us via CMT. Okay, does that make it all bad?

Yes and no. It's not all bad... but they do have their own agenda. It's not much different than if I said "You know you're all wrong here on the board about the Sony 3000s. It's the finest headphone ever made". If you say it enough time it's entirely possible that my statement could become the norm. I've conditioned you to think that... and it's most likely not true.

Quote:

I see your point archosman, but should I take it to mean that all of these acts aren't any good?

No sir... not at all. According to the industry standard Big and Rich and Gretchen Wilson should have never taken off... if you follow the label formula. That's true-blue hardcore fanbase there... and that's the real deal.

Quote:

Just for the record, I am not a big fan of country or western music (thanx blues brothers)
icon10.gif
. But, I do enjoy some of it. Right now I am listening to one of my favorite CDs; Waylon Jennings Greatest Hits. I only have a few country CDs, and one bluegrass. My bluegrass is a Flatt and Scruggs 2 disc collection. I tend to like the more faster type country music. Waylon, Hank Williams Jr. But I have a soft spot for Johnny Paycheck, and there are a few John Anderson songs that touch my soul (literally).

My wife was very upset with the video of Portland Oregon by Lorreta Lynn and Jack White. She thought Lorreta was stooping pretty low to do that video. She thinks Big and Rich's Save a Horse song is obscene.

Didn't Alison Krauss do some of the music for Oh Brother Where Art Thou??

I haven't seen the Loretta Lynn video so I can't comment. I can say that she's very down home and what you see is exactly what she is. Radio doesn't like to play any of the older artists so I can't fault her at all for doing it. Guess I need to be on the lookout for it. Save a Horse? Meh... I'm a guy. So that makes me not easily offended.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'd have to watch it again with a critical eye to make a better opinion.

From the last titles you listed you have a very wide range for country music... and that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned. It means your willing to listen to the standards as well as try the "new" stuff.

ONe of the guys in Alison Krauss's band did alot of the performing for Oh Brother. IN fact he was the singing voice for George Clooney.

Nov 14, 2004 at 7:04 AM Post #14 of 15
Mary Chapin-Carpenter

I really think her style is more power pop than country. Just check out her "Come On Come On" album; the album is practically a greatest hits album....even a cover of Dire Straits' "The Bug". I am not sure whether it's MCC sounding rock or MK sounding country. Her first legit greatest hits album included covers of songs by Mick Jagger and John Lennon. And I even have a CD single that include a slowed-down somber acoustic version of Bruce Springsteen's "Dancing In The Dark" (not available on any MCC album, BTW). Great songwriting and excellent musicianship on every album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back