The New AEON 2: It's The End Of MrSpeakers
Apr 6, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #1,936 of 2,052
I’ve found that when I have put the comfort strap down too far, it increases the clamp force and discomfort builds up over time. I’ve found backing it off a bit to be a simple solution, but it works best if you start off your listening session with slightly less tension on the comfort strap.
hope that helps
I was struggling with the clamping force on these fantastic cans (I have a BIG dome) until I read this advice. Thank you!!!!

Apr 6, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #1,937 of 2,052
I was struggling with the clamping force on these fantastic cans (I have a BIG dome) until I read this advice. Thank you!!!!
I’ve found that having the headband set to just touch the top of your head with zero force while the cups are positioned where you want them feels best. They still create a seal without any force on the side of the head. When worn correctly they are easily my most comfortable cans.

Apr 7, 2022 at 2:11 AM Post #1,938 of 2,052
You can see the same issue here on the left cup, notice how far away the sharp edge is from the seam, it looks like the part of the pad that's supposed to be flat against your head is now at an angle. It looks like worse warping than the previous photo I quoted. Could you post a photo of the pads today? Has the foam degradation gotten any worse and lost their shape more? Have you tried rolling the foam back into place to get a sharp seam? Most users report it doesn't work and the degradation continues, but it's worth a try

I don't have pics at the moment (traveling), but the foam rolling issue has not improved over time of course... And the pads on my Noires look the same or roll even more within the same day of listening if I am taking them off/putting them on a few times. The bottom of the foam has also rotated, and it is even more of a pain in the arse...

I have to massage them pretty much every time I want to listen, but they are still always comfortable and sound good.

It is insanely frustrating to have to do this when paying 1k for headphones.... But I hope that this issue is remedied at some point, perhaps limiting the pads rolling by flying the bottom so they don't completely flip.

Apr 7, 2022 at 2:46 AM Post #1,939 of 2,052
I don't have pics at the moment (traveling), but the foam rolling issue has not improved over time of course... And the pads on my Noires look the same or roll even more within the same day of listening if I am taking them off/putting them on a few times. The bottom of the foam has also rotated, and it is even more of a pain in the arse...

I have to massage them pretty much every time I want to listen, but they are still always comfortable and sound good.

It is insanely frustrating to have to do this when paying 1k for headphones.... But I hope that this issue is remedied at some point, perhaps limiting the pads rolling by flying the bottom so they don't completely flip.
I had this issue with one pad doing this, and the other retaining shape perfectly on my aeon x closed. I contacted Dan Clark Audio via email and a very nice person named Sue took care of it under my product warranty rather quickly.

The pad set i was sent retains perfect shape through long listening. No more needing to massage the foam into shape on one before every listening session.

I see you are outside the USA, but it couldn't hurt to contact their customer service. They responded very quickly and this eliminated the pad foam issue altogether for me.

Apr 8, 2022 at 5:12 AM Post #1,940 of 2,052
I have two pairs of Aeons and several pairs pads from DCA and Dekoni. All of them do the 'roll'. I don't believe it's a defect. I think it's just the way the asymmetrical (but therefore supremely comfortable) contact the head. Neither the sound nor the comfort are affected for me. All the pads will easily return to shape with the 'pinch & roll'. But honestly I stopped looking and caring since they are just sooo comfortable. The sound is great too! (Although I dream of a Sennheiser 6XX -ish sound in an Aeon).

Apr 8, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #1,941 of 2,052
I have two pairs of Aeons and several pairs pads from DCA and Dekoni. All of them do the 'roll'. I don't believe it's a defect. I think it's just the way the asymmetrical (but therefore supremely comfortable) contact the head. Neither the sound nor the comfort are affected for me. All the pads will easily return to shape with the 'pinch & roll'. But honestly I stopped looking and caring since they are just sooo comfortable. The sound is great too! (Although I dream of a Sennheiser 6XX -ish sound in an Aeon).
I’ve seen similar ‘roll’ from other pads as well from other headphones. I think it’s just a result from the manufacturing of the pad.

Apr 10, 2022 at 10:40 PM Post #1,942 of 2,052

This foam rolling issue seems to be a fundamental defect of all Aeon models, lots of Aeon users report this problem. Lots of people report it's permanent. Dan thinks it's ok to sell headphones at this pricepoint with such low quality pads, you should ask for free replacement pads (since this is a known warranty issue) until #PadGate is addressed or a headphone recall is issued. Just a warning: replacement pads will show the same issue, so you may need to replace them regularly if you use the Aeons regularly.

Apr 11, 2022 at 3:18 AM Post #1,943 of 2,052

Mine roll on the bottom, and on the top, so it actually will make my ears touch the drivers if I don't massage them back into place. Also, since it's the bottom that rolls as well, the pinch and roll technique is not enough on is own to get them back into position.

Apr 11, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #1,944 of 2,052
All of them do the 'roll'. I don't believe it's a defect.
Ok? It is a known defect.
That sucks, and is considered a warranty issue. Drop us a note and we'll replace those pads. - Dan Clark Audio

I’ve seen similar ‘roll’ from other pads as well from other headphones. I think it’s just a result from the manufacturing of the pad.
I'm curious about this because I haven't seen anything similar. What headphones have you seen with similar pad issues, where the foam becomes misaligned with the stitching so quickly? I have headphones with large pads, including others from DCA like the Mad Dogs and Ether, and the LCD-X, and yes, the pads fatigue over time, but none of them show the pad losing its fundamental shape from the foam drifting. I also have headphones with similar pad shapes, like the Focal Clears, and they don't show any shape degradation issues. Also, all headphone pads degrade, the Aeons just seem to do it within the first week of ownership. This doesn't seem to bother some folks, to each their own! I have stopped recommending the Aeons since they have inherently faulty pads and are sold at luxury good pricing.

Apr 12, 2022 at 12:24 AM Post #1,945 of 2,052
Anyone know which of the Dekoni Aeon Elite pads matches the Noire best? Sheepskin, Fenestrated Sheepskin, or Hybrid? I assume it's one of the first two but can be quite tell.

Apr 12, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #1,946 of 2,052
Anyone know which of the Dekoni Aeon Elite pads matches the Noire best? Sheepskin, Fenestrated Sheepskin, or Hybrid? I assume it's one of the first two but can be quite tell.
Just a guess, but I would say fenestrated since the biggest difference between the Noire and regular Aeon 2 pads is the fenestration of the Noire pads.

I've seen a few reviews on Dekoni's website indicating the aftermarket Dekoni pads weren't a perfect fit for the Aeon's, so caveat emptor. Maybe the problem has been fixed in subsequent manufacturing runs. Hope so.

Apr 12, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #1,948 of 2,052
The Dekoni pads are NOT a perfect fit. The base is 1-2mm to large and therefore does not make a perfect seal.
Wondering out loud: Is it the base of the pads or the earcups that are too large? If it's the pads, are they trimmable in any way, such as snipping the backing that includes the adhesive?

As an aside, it's still absolutely ridiculous that Dan Clark Audio uses adhesive to affix earpads to cups. I enjoy my Aeon 2 Closed with Noire pads, but a headphone that costs $900 should have pads that detach much more easily, with unlimited reuse. Yet we still have to take stock Aeon pads and put them on waxed paper to preserve the adhesive after removing. Is this a prestige headphone or a third-grade home ec project? Are we pad swapping or making chocolate chip cookies?

I guess Dan was working on a new fastening design without adhesive before the pandemic, but I haven't heard or read much about it.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 9:12 AM Post #1,950 of 2,052
Ok? It is a known defect.

I'm curious about this because I haven't seen anything similar. What headphones have you seen with similar pad issues, where the foam becomes misaligned with the stitching so quickly? I have headphones with large pads, including others from DCA like the Mad Dogs and Ether, and the LCD-X, and yes, the pads fatigue over time, but none of them show the pad losing its fundamental shape from the foam drifting. I also have headphones with similar pad shapes, like the Focal Clears, and they don't show any shape degradation issues. Also, all headphone pads degrade, the Aeons just seem to do it within the first week of ownership. This doesn't seem to bother some folks, to each their own! I have stopped recommending the Aeons since they have inherently faulty pads and are sold at luxury good pricing.

My pads were pretty wonky 1 week in, and I only found out about the pad issue after. It is a royal pain in the ass, and I also feel that at close to $1000, this shouldn't be happening.

It really takes away from what is otherwise a great headphone when you have to massage the pads each time you want to listen....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back