The New AEON 2: It's The End Of MrSpeakers
May 6, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #1,201 of 2,052
There is no way for me to tell, I've not tried the unit and have no experience. They quote 4.2V balanced and 2.1V single ended with "no load." If they could hold that voltage with a 12 ohm load there'd be more power than you could ever use, but that is an entirely useless spec as load can vary from 8 to 600 ohms with ear gear and if the amp has weak current output they may not ever be able to reach those voltages. An owner would have to answer that subjectively.

I've found measurement in the site below.
It's not my site, but he is measuring output voltage by ohms.
You can see it dropping significantly when the impedance go down.
Read from the graph, at 12ohms, apparently less than 2Vpp which means less than 0.7Vrms.
This is typical A&K DAP characteristics. (the site has a lot of measurements for other models.)

Review site (in Japanese, not mine):
https://sandalaudio.blogspot.com/2018/11/astell-sp1000m-dap.html

From above site (not mine): Measurement graph of SP1000m (Impedance - Vpp)
(Vpp / 2 / 1.44 = Vrms)
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-LCF4F-rw...98Pym8_VEc3KTQRnFgiHQ1xwCLcBGAs/s1600/015.jpg

May 6, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #1,202 of 2,052
I've found measurement in the site below.
It's not my site, but he is measuring output voltage by ohms.
You can see it dropping significantly when the impedance go down.
Read from the graph, at 12ohms, apparently less than 2Vpp which means less than 0.7Vrms.
This is typical A&K DAP characteristics. (the site has a lot of measurements for other models.)

Review site (in Japanese, not mine):
https://sandalaudio.blogspot.com/2018/11/astell-sp1000m-dap.html

From above site (not mine): Measurement graph of SP1000m (Impedance - Vpp)
(Vpp / 2 / 1.44 = Vrms)
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-LCF4F-rw...98Pym8_VEc3KTQRnFgiHQ1xwCLcBGAs/s1600/015.jpg

Doh! That is only 40mW which is about as good as my iPhone! In other words, not enough.

I would expect a player at that price to have more current output, I have not been a big fan of AK because a lot of their gear was made this way, I guess they primarily design for dynamics and IEMs. I think the Kann was a notable exception, and not surprisingly though it's large it was the best for pairing with our gear that I have heard from their line, though they have so many models I've only heard a fraction.

iBasso and FiiO both make players that are way better matches if you want a fit in the pocket response.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 7, 2020 at 2:04 AM Post #1,203 of 2,052
Looks like I'll be WFH for another few months. I'll like to add the desktop DAC/AMP for A2C plus with the upgrade XLR Balance cable.

Which DAC/AMP would be the considerably upgrade from Mojo? My existing setup is very simple, PC >> Mojo >> A2C.

I wanna go with Schiit Jotunheim Balance but the Topping DX7 Pro on the spec sheet is very interesting as well. Both have the same price tag in Thailand.

Or the SDAC balance + THX 888 could beat Mojo?

May 7, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #1,204 of 2,052
Looks like I'll be WFH for another few months. I'll like to add the desktop DAC/AMP for A2C plus with the upgrade XLR Balance cable.

Which DAC/AMP would be the considerably upgrade from Mojo? My existing setup is very simple, PC >> Mojo >> A2C.

I wanna go with Schiit Jotunheim Balance but the Topping DX7 Pro on the spec sheet is very interesting as well. Both have the same price tag in Thailand.

Hugo TT2 is an awesome upgrade from Mojo. If you get a cable terminated with dual 3-pin female XLRs (or an adapter), you can run then balanced, but you really don’t need to unless you have Abyss, HE-6 or other very hard to drive headphone. Or you are driving speakers.

May 7, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #1,205 of 2,052

I'm using the SMSL SP200 THX 888 amp with my A2C, and I feed it with my Mojo in DAC only mode. So:
MacBook >> Mojo >> SP200 >> A2C

The combo is really good; all the power the A2C needs. I played around by using my Fiio M11 and Hiby R5 to feed the SP200 as well just to compare DACs but the Mojo is the best.

Why not get an amp first and then switch the Mojo down the line if you feel the need. I'm thinking of switching for a proper desktop DAC in a few months, the Topping D90 and SMSL M400 got me interested. Curious if the upgrade from Mojo will be noticeable.

May 7, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #1,206 of 2,052
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

May 7, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #1,207 of 2,052
Aeon by the description seems to be a perfect replacement to my oppo pm3, so sad they are power hungry as they look good for portable use :frowning2: my ha2 dac/amp can push only up to 300mw at 16impedance.

May 7, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #1,208 of 2,052
Aeon by the description seems to be a perfect replacement to my oppo pm3, so sad they are power hungry as they look good for portable use :frowning2: my ha2 dac/amp can push only up to 300mw at 16impedance.

300mW is plenty unless you want concert volume levels or plan to use big bass boost. This will be plenty to play loud enough to damage your hearing. :)

May 7, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #1,209 of 2,052
Did anyone find annoying the lack of vertical axis swivel on these?

And the straight front side of the pads exerting pressure on the external auditory canal, in front of the tragus where there is no bone covering it?

May 7, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #1,210 of 2,052
Did anyone find annoying the lack of vertical axis swivel on these?

And the straight front side of the pads exerting pressure on the external auditory canal, in front of the tragus where there is no bone covering it?
They fit very comfortably on my head, the headband allows for some swivel, and the pads are big enough not to rest on my ears.

May 8, 2020 at 9:03 PM Post #1,211 of 2,052
Got the Aeon 2 open and I am very happy with it so far!

These are the most natural sounding planars I have personally heard, they sound very similar to a HD650 with new earpads (new earpads part being important as the 650s treble rolls off some when the pads wear down!).

All the other planars I have heard have a kind of artificial edge to them, almost like turning up the sharpness filter a lot on a tv, very very clear but sort of unnatural. The Aeons somehow keep the clarity but make it sound more natural, really impressive.

I am not sure that I could have appreciated these without having tried a lot of other headphones though, as the way they impress is subtle. I didnt have my mind blown as soon as I put them on, I was just surprised as how "correct" everything sounded. After trying them for a bit I also got shocked by how much detail these produce, its really off the charts. Every tiny hiss,pop, chair squeak, etc is reproduced in a way you can hear clearly, but without being really irritating. I didnt realize there even was little hisses and pops in some of my recordings. These are definitely very capable of being a reference headphone.

FR is for the most part very good, there is some extra energy (2-3db) around 200hz which can make things a tad too warm sounding, but its not much a issue at all and I guess most people will like the effect. The midrange is perfect imo, very smooth and flat response giving mids a very natural sound, though a little warm with male vocals from the 200hz energy at times.

The bass is pretty well extended but drops off a lot after 24hz to my ears, even EQing it up this region is a little weak, bassheads will be disappointed. Not surprising as these are relatively small single sided planars, they arent going to be able to shatter your teeth the way some of the giant Audeze double sided drivers can. For me its the perfect kind of bass response as its gives a solid amount of impact and punch but it is not headache inducing. I like my bass but I am quite sensitive to it being too overblown in the subbass, it actually gives me a headache. So for me I am very happy with it.

Shockingly the region from 1-3k doesnt have the dip that 95% of planars on the markets have, its actually the proper level! Dan deserves a ton of praise for these feat alone, as I find most planars to sound very off without EQ because of that ubiquitous dip, but here its actually very well done. There is actually a little too much energy around 2.6k but again its like 1-2db over, very small thing and much preferable to the dreaded planar dip. Personally I dont mind it! This means guitars actually sound alive! The 3-5k region is a little relaxed compared to something like the Hd650. I think it could use a bit more energy around 4.5k especially to make it sound a little more lively, some may find it a touch boring because of this but its not too much of a issue.

The lower treble is probably the area that some will find bothersome as there is a lot of energy from about 5.4k to 6.1k, for my taste about 2-3 db or so too much. If you are really sensitive to this region, you will likely want to apply some EQ or use the tuning pads which I think address this region, but many people will likely like the effect this has and wont be bothered by it. The other potential treble issue is the region f rom about 7.1-7.8k which also has a lot of energy, for my tastes again its about 2-3db too much (a trend!). The amazing news is that this does not make the Aeon sibilant at all unlike many other headphones I have tried. The rest of the treble is spot on for my taste and extends very well and very clearly, easily goes up to 17.3k which is the limit of my hearing and does so at a near perfect level to my ears (sounds close to same volume as midrange, not too dipped or overblown).

Sibilance is just not a issue with the Aeon which is super impressive considering it actually has a fairly energetic treble response,most headphones with this kind of sound profile would be real sibilant. It either eliminates the sibilance entirely or changes it from a stab to the ear to a gentle poke, enough to let you know its there but not be bothersome.

The Aeon 2s soundstage is very interesting and quite unusual. Its again very much akin to the Hd650 style of soundstage, which is to say its not super wide, but its very accurate. However it can at times go considerably wider than the 650 and the imaging is much better. I say its unsuaul because with most songs it sounded like the 650 style of soundstage but when I tried Letters by Yosi Horikawa I was really suprised by how far out the pen writing across your head went. It sounded like it was well outside of the earcup. It also performed the feat of making it sound like the pen was going all the way from outside your head through your head and out the other ear that many headphones fail to do. I think it matches the HE5se for imaging which was the best I have heard previously.

Personally I prefer this kind of soundstage rather than the superwide style that some others go for, as I find they sound diffuse to me. Some may have a issue with this though if they are looking for that.

I have been comparing them with my VERY heavily EQed Koss ESP 95/x (13 bands of parametric EQ :)) and the Aeon 2 is better even without any EQ at all. Didnt expect it to be able to beat an electrostat in detail but.. it does and it does so while sounding a lot more natural than the Koss does. The Koss does sound taller, larger and airer than the Aeon which is not surprising because its drivers are huge and its VERY open. The Aeon is actually closer to a semi-open or semi-closed headphone than a open one IMO, the isolation is surprisingly high and the rear grills have some dampening on them. I do think this makes it not as airy sounding as some other open backs, not a huge issue for me but if you are fan of that real open airy sound it might be.

Aeon 2 is really quite nice for gaming too, I have been playing Mafia 3 lately and its given me a lot of appreciation for how good that games sound and soundtrack is. Playing it with the Koss didnt give quite the same visceral, real sound that the Aeon does. Just walking around in the game impressed me as the thud of combat boots on a wood floor sounded so real right down to the creaks from the old wood. Squealing tires and gunshots all sounded so damn good.

I should mention all of my testing has been done with a Creative G6, which is not ideal for the Aeons I think as its USB powered. It may not be getting the current it needs which could affect the bass extension or other things, I still think it sounds outstanding though. Gonna get a better amp in the near future which will make it even better I am sure.

I wholehardly recommend the Aeon 2 open to people who like a natural style sound and dont care about a massive soundstage. They are really amazing. I never tried the original so I cant compare unfortunately. I see a lot of people saying the original had a super compressed soundstage, so I think that aspect has been improved upon as I dont find it to be congested at all, separation of the various elements is outstanding.

I also designed a EQ to fix my slight issues with Aeon 2s response which took it from very good to amazing for my tastes. I am not using any tuning pads with it. I will put it below.

Preamp -3.5db

Low Shelf Filter 70hz +3.5db
Peak Filters

200hz Q4 -1db

4500hz Q4 +2db

5600hz Q6 -2.5db

7200hz Q7 -2db

May 8, 2020 at 9:24 PM Post #1,212 of 2,052
Got the Aeon 2 open and I am very happy with it so far!

Great review! I just got a pair in the mail today as well! I will wait to give my impressions because based on my experience with the original AFO then Ether 2, these headphones need a good 100 hours of break-in and tend to sound noticeably meatier after this period. I'm currently running them off a Peachtree Nova500 integrated (listed for sale, if anyone is interested!) which has a pretty decent headphone amp and a more than capable DAC, but I have my eyes on something more dedicated for these.

20200508_164313.jpg

Last edited:
May 11, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #1,213 of 2,052
So this is a shout out to Dan Clark audio.

I placed an order with them and i ordered the wrong headphone. Open vs Closed. The staff was so helpful. I look forward to my Aeon2 closed. I have alpha primes and Aeon (1)Opens. i wanted the next closed step up.

I think its great that Dan Clark audio is here in Headfi.org. Im saving up for ether 2.

m usicguy

May 11, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #1,214 of 2,052
So this is a shout out to Dan Clark audio.

I placed an order with them and i ordered the wrong headphone. Open vs Closed. The staff was so helpful. I look forward to my Aeon2 closed. I have alpha primes and Aeon (1)Opens. i wanted the next closed step up.

I think its great that Dan Clark audio is here in Headfi.org. Im saving up for ether 2.

m usicguy
I too have the Aeon 1 Open. The A2C are definitely an upgrade in my opinion despite being closed back. I'm sure you'll enjoy them!

Same, saving for Ether 2 or a possible Ether 2 Closed :relaxed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back