1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The New AEON 2: It's The End Of MrSpeakers

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by jude, Nov 1, 2019.
First

Back
10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Next

Last
  1. mrspeakers Contributor
    I already told you clearly the min power. P=v*i and V=I*R so I suggest you run numbers yourself if you are curious and make your own estimates.

Vendors seldom publish data about their current limits, and you just expect me to give an”perfect” answer? Lol.

You are over complicating this and there is no “perfect” solution anyhow.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
    chaz_flhr, GarageBoy, DougD and 9 others like this.
  2. flarex3
    Your answer shocked me, Dan
    My question isn't overcomplicated. A headphone requires certain amounts of minimum voltage and current to operate smoothly and I asked the numbers of the Aeon 2C. I was expecting an answer like "X amperes and Y volts" so I can check if a source device can produce that or not therefore if suitable to drive the A2C or not.
    Yes maybe I can calculate the numbers by myself too but I don't know the exact math/physics because I am not an expert, you can probably share the more accurate results...

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  3. trellus
    I thought he already had indirectly answered by that saying you need roughly 200 mW output at a minimum to drive the Aeon's adequately, and some tips about how to determine that based on the amp specs, since many manufacturers don't list extensively in their specs power output with many different loads, and the topology of amplifier can impact what assumptions you can make about power output at 13 Ohm load if they only list power output at 32 Ohm, 50 Ohm, 150 Ohm, etc, so hopefully they at least power output at 16 Ohm.

chaz_flhr, metal571, Chidi and 3 others like this.
  4. Mkoll
    How does the isolation from external noises compare?

5. tcellguy
    All have excellent passive isolation. Combined with the SPL from the headphones, they are comparable to ANC when listening at 65 dB or higher.

Mkoll likes this.
  6. flarex3
    The iFi xDSD can output 500 mW @16 ohms. Is it a good device to drive the A2C?
    I have access to a lot of better high-end devices but the xDSD would be so portable.

xdsd.png

trellus likes this.
  7. trellus
    This review of the xDSD at https://www.hear.reviews/2018/04/14/ifi-xdsd-review/ mentions pairing the Aeon Flow Open (1st gen of course) with the iFi xDSD and characterized it this way:

Driving headphones the xDSD does a good job. Conveniently for me, its peak power is at 16 Ohms and I had the MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Open on hand for review. That combination worked very well at the moderate listening levels I enjoy. I switched in various amps during listening, such as iFi’s own Pro iCan, and the ALO Audio Continental V5. More robust amplification provided an improvement, though where the headphones (or IEMs) were sufficiently driven, such as with the Aeons, the improvement was not large.

atahanuz and bcowen like this.
  8. bcowen
    Neither is the math.

metal571 and MattTCG like this.
  9. stenog
    You used many dac amps but didn't try it with the above?

Why all the questions about power requirements for the A2C? You have tried it, you should know and you have owned(maybe you still do?) the A1C. Don't they require the same amount of power?

bcowen likes this.
  10. flarex3
    I don't own xDSD. I sold my A1C long time ago. I had the chance to try an A2C of my friend for two hours, I tried Astell Kernn SP2000 DAP but to my experience it couldn't drive the A2C good enough. The DAP was getting super hot and the battery draining lightning fast but it felt like it still couldn't drive the A2C.

I care about the power issue a lot because the "portability" of this headphone would only be meaningful if we can find conventional portable solutions to drive this headphone on-the-go.

Mr.Mantas and trellus like this.
  11. stenog
    Sure...

You already have the answers to these questions. I drive my Aeon Open with my daps and have no complaints. Take your friends A2C down to your local store and try it with all the different daps/dacs etc. you can find. Then you will find out if said devices have enough power for you.

But i have a feeling that's its not what it's all about...

chaz_flhr and bcowen like this.
  12. MrPanda
    Chord Mojo or Hugo 2?

13. dnalekaw
    Get a grip man. Listen to yourself. You say voltage and current is independently influential towards the sound but this conclusion is based on usage with different devices and a multiplicity of other variables such as topology of the amp itself. How the hell you are comparing this is beyond me.

Back on track, does anyone see it mentioned that the Aeon 2's use a new / tweaked diaphragm? I know it's not all that important in altering the sound relative to the new structure of the drivers but knowing how proactive Dan is, I wouldn't put it past him changing the diaphragm slightly and not mentioning it.

bcowen likes this.
  14. flarex3
    Yes to Hugo 2 and no to Mojo. The sound was acceptable with Hugo 2 but awful with Mojo. The sound was overly dark when the warm signatures of the Mojo and A2C were combined. I couldn't really determine if the Mojo could technically drive the A2C well but the pairing sounded quite bad to my ears.

MrPanda likes this.
  15. roskodan
    There are many closed headphones that will sound superb with mobile gear, easier to drive and cheaper, you don't like the Aeon, great, cross it off your list, one less headphone to worry about.

chaz_flhr and bcowen like this.
First

Back
10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Next

Last