1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The New AEON 2: It's The End Of MrSpeakers

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by jude, Nov 1, 2019.
First

Back
4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
Next

Last
  1. flarex3
    It appears to be \___ shaped

2. jjflemin
    Man, can't swing the money for a new pair at the moment. Would love to be able to swap the folding headband onto the original AFC though. I plan on trying these out soon, just have to check if Audio46 has them in stock yet.

3. MrCypruz
    I've not heard the Stellia but based on the design and a few reviews from reviewers that I respect, the Stellia present a lot of Utopia's strenghts so I would assume that it's no contest. The Stellia will most likely beat the A2c and it should be expected if you just go off the price tag - the A2c costs 1/3 of Stellia.

I understand and agree with your expectations, the sensitivity on these beats the purpose to some extent.

If I had to put a shape to it, I guess V shape would be the closest (?) to what my ears told me. Just to clarify, I'm not a reviewer by no means, I just shared my initial impressions after using the headphones straight of the box without any burn-in. I did that because I believe it's going to give people an idea of what to "expect" based on what I heard IF that's worth something to anybody and because I was looking for similar information before I took the plunge.

That's even better, a fresh design will be more than welcome.

upload_2019-11-5_13-46-52.png

Here's the actual shape - a very deformed "W". No need for additional speculation on my part. Source: Youtube - HeadFi TV video posted on the 1st page of this thread.

[merged]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2019
    jason.voegele, trellus and noplsestar like this.
  4. Maelob
    Thanks again still very useful to hear. A slight V shape is not a deal breaker for a lot of people. I am excited about slam lol I am also a “closet” bass head LOL

5. flarex3
    Interesting headphone. The isolatian, foldable design and other properties are cool, actually very cool but the sound output appears to be problematic once again (I hated the AFC's sound). If vocals sound distant and laid back it will be a problem for me and I can't be the only one thinking like that. This headphone will probably end up sounding good on only some genres and music preferences instead of being a global all-rounder. Let's see.

6. FullBright1

Charts are not ears, but thanks for posting.

I liked your review. I think you were trying to be very subjective and honest.
    You were certainly not trying to be a fan boy Advertisement for Dan's Gear., and i appreciate this very much.

[merged]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2019
    Maelob and MrCypruz like this.
  7. 518141
    As a supplement I would like to add that a difference of +10 db is a doubling of the volume. It is beyond question that my Campfire Cascade is easier to drive than AEON2. But that does not say much about the basic qualities of a headphone. Sensitivity (dB SPL / mW) only indicates how loud a headphone is. Susvara or the Lcd4 are very hard to drive.
    But with these specs you will probably need a decent head amp but at least a hefty dap. I doubt that a phone is a good connection for the AEON2.

buonassi likes this.
  8. MrCypruz
    Thank you. I try to do a conscious effort to not hype products because I respect mine and other people's hard earned money.

9. Soundizer
    How much do they cost? No prices in uk yet.

10. MrCypruz
  11. TSAVJason
    measurements are an excellent reference. However your ears are exclusive to you. It’s really whether or not YOU like what YOU hear through the headphones that matters.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
  12. 518141
    ...if they are right!
    Rooms have resonance frequencies. Ideally, we would be in a room or walls absorbing most of the sound. Nobody needs a personal interpretation of a wrongly taken measurement.

13. elira
    As far as I know head-fi has one of the best measurement rigs available, so I would assume their measurements are as good as it gets.

Maelob and buonassi like this.
  14. mrspeakers Contributor
    Your emphasis on efficiency is understandable however efficiency is only one of many considerations we had to evaluate. If an owner wants to use a headphone exclusively as a portable and wants to use only a phone as the source, max efficiency makes perfect sense and might be the top-tier design goal.

However, for many people a headphone in this price class may well be their ONLY high-end headphone and they may desire the ability to get high-end results wherever they are, office, home or on the road. For this group a phone mightn't be the right source, it's a convenience when critical listening or very high SPL isn't required. A good DAP or a device like a Mojo will be a big upgrade and would be highly recommended both for sound quality and for power.

To increase efficiency with A2C we would have to significantly increase the size and weight of the motor. A bigger, thicker motor also means more sonic tradeoffs and more weight is the enemy of comfort and also a portability consideration. We place great emphasis on comfort and sound quality as I think most people would prefer to invest in a bit more DAP if the primary use is portable if that allows the headphone to be more comfortable. The headphones you list are anywhere from 2.5-12 ounces heavier than the A2C yet the A2C is almost all metal and carbon fiber. My view is better a bit more weight in the pocket or bag than on the head.

The DAP market moves fast and has too many products to make an authoritative list. Some front ends I have HEARD and strongly encourage (there are many more options of course) for consideration due to price performance and general quality are:

Chord Mojo (which I adore for the price and is more than powerful enough) and Hugo 2
    Higher-end FiiO players
    iBasso DX220 (particularly with the Amp8, this is stellar pairing for the price but does require a 4.4mm cable)
    Sony Walkman ZX300 or higher
    AK Kann
    AudioQuest Red or Cobalt (nice, clean and convenient but not the right solution for those wanting 120dB EDM) for a tiny USB option

A good rule of thumb to select an amp or DAC to pair with AEON is to check power at 32ohms and 16ohms. If power doubles from 32 to 16 ohms and is at least 200mW at 16 ohms it's probably fine. However, if power is 100mW at 32 ohms and 120mW at 16 ohms the amp has a weak power supply and may not be be a good pairing. These days most devices I've checked roughly double power as impedance halves from 32 to 16 (it could be 175% instead of 200% and still be OK).

There are many more costly players I wouldn't suggest because I don't think it makes sense to pair a $3K player with a $900 headphone unless you already own the player or you plan to use the player as your primary system across many devices. Otherwise, I'd recommend saving the dollars a getting better desktop gear, etc. But again, I think its really critical to remember there are many ways to enjoy a portable headphone, not all are portable, and so any general recommendation like this has a giant YMMV.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
  15. MrCypruz
    I agree with you and that's the main reason why I don't usually pay a lot of attention to measurements. I'm not sure if you got the whole context of the conversation, someone concluded that based on my initial impressions the cans were "V" shaped and I was trying to share my thoughts on the potential shape of the frequency response, which according to the graph it looks more like a very deformed "W".

GarageBoy likes this.
First

Back
4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
Next

Last